MVP for Jan & Feb conf voting results

The January voting results for Jan (all B10 games) also includes the 2 Dec B10 games with MD & MI.

Under the "weighted" voting results, Malik & MM are tied for 1st. 1 point behind is Ware, and Gallo is next, several points back. But it might surprise some of you that even with Leal's limited playing time for the month, he's only 1 point behind Gallo.

Under the "winner takes all" (no weighting), Reneau & Ware are tied with 2 games each. 6 other players each have 1 winning vote.

And for those that want the "total votes received" category, Ware is 1st, Malik a distant 2nd, and Leal a very close 3rd (4 votes down).

I'll do another update for the B10 thru Feb at the end of Feb. Post any questions you have and I'll try to answer them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DWB said:

The January voting results for Jan (all B10 games) also includes the 2 Dec B10 games with MD & MI.

Under the "weighted" voting results, Malik & MM are tied for 1st. 1 point behind is Ware, and Gallo is next, several points back. But it might surprise some of you that even with Leal's limited playing time for the month, he's only 1 point behind Gallo.

Under the "winner takes all" (no weighting), Reneau & Ware are tied with 2 games each. 6 other players each have 1 winning vote.

And for those that want the "total votes received" category, Ware is 1st, Malik a distant 2nd, and Leal a very close 3rd (4 votes down).

I'll do another update for the B10 thru Feb at the end of Feb. Post any questions you have and I'll try to answer them.

sounds like some people need their ballets taken away lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DWB said:

this is because people thought it was funny to vote for Leal when he didn't even get in the game.  not much validity to the voting when Ware isn't overall 1st right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is because people thought it was funny to vote for Leal when he didn't even get in the game.  not much validity to the voting when Ware isn't overall 1st right?

I audit playing time of the roster. Any player that did not play in the game, the votes are not counted in the tally. So any vote that Leal got when he didn't actually play that game the votes were dismissed and not logged. Which makes his appearance in the top 4-5 players getting votes, even more impressive (to me at least).

Edited by DWB
  • Like 2

Just now, DWB said:

I audit playing time of the roster. Any player that did not play in the game, the votes are not counted in the tally.

smart.  then that is more interesting.  i'm assuming he won at least once in a loss that he barely played in then?  how would he be 1 point behind Galloway otherwise?

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

smart.  then that is more interesting.  i'm assuming he won at least once in a loss that he barely played in then?  how would he be 1 point behind Galloway otherwise?

He's one point behind Gallo on the weighted scale. I track top 3 players receiving votes. Leal has gotten more 3rd place finishes than Gallo. Gallo didn't place in the top 3 for many games. With Leal's win for Iowa, that was 3 points for 1st. 2nd place gets 2 points, 3rd place gets 1. So if you're MVP for a game, you make up a bunch of ground on those guys that don't place in the top 3. 

Leal has rec'd points in 4 games he's played in, and Gallo only 3.

Hope that helps explain it a little.

19 minutes ago, DWB said:

He's one point behind Gallo on the weighted scale. I track top 3 players receiving votes. Leal has gotten more 3rd place finishes than Gallo. Gallo didn't place in the top 3 for many games. With Leal's win for Iowa, that was 3 points for 1st. 2nd place gets 2 points, 3rd place gets 1. So if you're MVP for a game, you make up a bunch of ground on those guys that don't place in the top 3. 

Leal has rec'd points in 4 games he's played in, and Gallo only 3.

Hope that helps explain it a little.

yeah, i mean no problem, and i could definitely be remembering wrong, but wouldn't all of those other than last game be facetious?  has he had any games that people would seriously vote for him other than the last one?  i mean, i'm not blaming you, but just saying something doesn't quite add up, right?

29 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah, i mean no problem, and i could definitely be remembering wrong, but wouldn't all of those other than last game be facetious?  has he had any games that people would seriously vote for him other than the last one?  i mean, i'm not blaming you, but just saying something doesn't quite add up, right?

Guess it depends on your point of view. Leal ALWAYS gives 100% in a game, plus leadership. Even in a loss he'll get votes because of his effort (at least IMO). You have a starter, or 3, that play horrible in a game and Leal comes in and produces while he's in there, even for a couple of minutes, and guys will vote for him. He won't garner the most votes, but he'll get some which gives him 3rd place.

I was a little surprised to see where he landed overall, but personally couldn't be happier for the young man. I just wish he'd come back next year, but that's a pipe dream.

31 minutes ago, DWB said:

Guess it depends on your point of view. Leal ALWAYS gives 100% in a game, plus leadership. Even in a loss he'll get votes because of his effort (at least IMO). You have a starter, or 3, that play horrible in a game and Leal comes in and produces while he's in there, even for a couple of minutes, and guys will vote for him. He won't garner the most votes, but he'll get some which gives him 3rd place.

I was a little surprised to see where he landed overall, but personally couldn't be happier for the young man. I just wish he'd come back next year, but that's a pipe dream.

i couldn't be happier for him either.  i'm pumped to be able to cheer for him.  what i'm trying to say is that clearly we all have different opinions on what an MVP is.  that's fine.  i get that.  i am curious what games he got votes though?  now you're gonna make me look up his game by game stats! ... so other than last game his season high in minutes are 16, 13, and 12.  his scoring highs are 5,3, and 2.  rebounds 3,2, and 1.  assists 1, 1, and 1.  doesn't have any steals on the season.  i mean, you can definitely argue it's because he hasn't gotten more time, but people have really thought he was the MVP (other than the last game) with 5 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 steal being his absolute possible best game if they were all in the same game?  then if so, his next best game was 3 points, 2 rebounds, and 1 assist.

The guys that voted have their opinions on what constitutes and MVP, as you said.

Here are the games where Leal got enough votes to place in the top 3 for those particular games: (remember this is just for Jan + 2 Dec B10 games)

• NEB 
  • Rutgers
  • ILL
  • Iowa

Gallo for instance got votes for MD, MN & PU

15 hours ago, DWB said:

The guys that voted have their opinions on what constitutes and MVP, as you said.

Here are the games where Leal got enough votes to place in the top 3 for those particular games: (remember this is just for Jan + 2 Dec B10 games)

• NEB 
  • Rutgers
  • ILL
  • Iowa

Gallo for instance got votes for MD, MN & PU

so... 3 pts, 3 rebs in a loss to NEB.  people voted for him to make a point that there shouldn't be one... 3 minutes, 0 points vs Rutgers in a loss...2 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst in a loss to Ilinois.  that's all i'm saying.  no one really voted for him in those 3 games because they thought he was the MVP.  to each their own though.  

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so... 3 pts, 3 rebs in a loss to NEB.  people voted for him to make a point that there shouldn't be one... 3 minutes, 0 points vs Rutgers in a loss...2 pts, 2 rebs, 1 asst in a loss to Ilinois.  that's all i'm saying.  no one really voted for him in those 3 games because they thought he was the MVP.  to each their own though.  

Being a fairly black and white person this too irritates me that's why I just choose to not care as much.  I contemplated starting an atta a boy thread but Leal's been getting plenty of attention and praise so it's all good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Or believe it or not, given the shortcomings of everybody else, he played error free basketball and there was no good option. I’d vote for him over somebody that had 15 points and 5 turnovers. You’re prob right though, and I may have done the same thing you said.  Shit I can’t remember. 😂

• DWB changed the title to MVP for Jan & Feb conf voting results

Not that anybody cares, but here are the results for MVP voting for the B1G conf, thru Feb. I promised to give an update at the end of each month.

On the weighted scale (1st, 2nd, 3rd in voting):  Ware is 1st. Reneau, Gallo, & Mac are close behind.  Only 2 votes separate them. 

On the winner takes all tally: Ware 1st, Reneau close 2nd.

On the most votes: Ware, GALLO in 2nd, and Reneau 3rd.

I'll post season to date before the start of the B1G tourney.  I plan on keeping track of the B1G tourney results separately, assuming we win a game or 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWB said:

Not that anybody cares, but here are the results for MVP voting for the B1G conf, thru Feb. I promised to give an update at the end of each month.

On the weighted scale (1st, 2nd, 3rd in voting):  Ware is 1st. Reneau, Gallo, & Mac are close behind.  Only 2 votes separate them. 

On the winner takes all tally: Ware 1st, Reneau close 2nd.

On the most votes: Ware, GALLO in 2nd, and Reneau 3rd.

I'll post season to date before the start of the B1G tourney.  I plan on keeping track of the B1G tourney results separately, assuming we win a game or 2.

seems pretty valid.  if we voted right now i think most would put Ware as season MVP right?  i'd personally go Reneau 2nd and Galloway 3rd.