Eclipse 2024

My house will be in totality so I just have to head out to the back yard.  Any of you degenerates have special plans?

I was reading an article today online during lunch where a local optometrist was warning people not to look directly at the sun that day.  I had to shake my head.  

• Like 2

I'm fortunate enough to experience it from home, as well. Lots of events going on all around Indy, but the horrific traffic estimates make me think it won't be worth it. I have my glasses ready, and I'll probably stay put.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

My house will be in totality so I just have to head out to the back yard.  Any of you degenerates have special plans?

I was reading an article today online during lunch where a local optometrist was warning people not to look directly at the sun that day.  I had to shake my head.  

5 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I'm fortunate enough to experience it from home, as well. Lots of events going on all around Indy, but the horrific traffic estimates make me think it won't be worth it. I have my glasses ready, and I'll probably stay put.

We have tickets for a group of about 20 family friends/kids,etc...out at IMS. Just going to make a day of it and worry about the traffic later. My friends though from Chicago that are coming down are actually driving down Sunday. Aren't risking the day of I65 mess in any direction. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

We have tickets for a group of about 20 family friends/kids,etc...out at IMS. Just going to make a day of it and worry about the traffic later. My friends though from Chicago that are coming down are actually driving down Sunday. Aren't risking the day of I65 mess in any direction. 

Ha, that's the IMS way. Last time I went to the 500, we sat in the car for over two hours without having moved even a mile. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Ha, that's the IMS way. Last time I went to the 500, we sat in the car for over two hours without having moved even a mile. 

Must have been 2016. There's a few short cuts if you ever need help. 

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm curious as to what the turnout for that will be and how they handle it.  I thought I heard it was a sell out.  Do you have assigned seats for this or are they just piling everyone in the infield?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I'm curious as to what the turnout for that will be and how they handle it.  I thought I heard it was a sell out.  Do you have assigned seats for this or are they just piling everyone in the infield?

There are different viewing areas I believe but kind of going in blind. After we bought the group tickets we got this email a week later or so.

GASOLINE ALLEY CLUB UPGRADE NOW AVAILABLE

The Total Solar Eclipse Event at IMS presented by Purdue University will be one of the nation’s most prominent viewing events for the once-in-a-generation phenomenon. Chosen as one of only a few NASA broadcast sites that day, IMS will draw all eyes to Indianapolis, located in the heart of the path of totality. Meanwhile, an exciting day of programming and festivities are being planned, and will feature both NASA and Boilermaker experts, alumni, students and more.

Gasoline Alley Club access for this special event is now available and includes complimentary food and beverages, including beer and wine. Limited seating inside the Gasoline Alley Club and the Gasoline Alley Rooftop grandstand is available on a first come, first-served basis.

In addition, open seating will be available on a first come, first serve basis in the Tower Terrace and Gasoline Alley seating sections.

Full food and beverage details *subject to change:

• Continental breakfast
  • Lunch from 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
  • Afternoon snack from 2:30 – 4 p.m.
  • Non-alcoholic beverages, beer and wine included
  • Cash bar for liquor
  • Like 3

Funny how this thread overlaps with several others. Now you've got me thinking about the specialty beers being made for this event. Lots of brewers across the path of totality are cashing in, and Sun King here in Indy is making one. Maybe they'll have it at the track. 

image.thumb.png.6fe796e6095a7d19cac3fcb9163489d8.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Funny how this thread overlaps with several others. Now you've got me thinking about the specialty beers being made for this event. Lots of brewers across the path of totality are cashing in, and Sun King here in Indy is making one. Maybe they'll have it at the track. 

image.thumb.png.6fe796e6095a7d19cac3fcb9163489d8.png

Just saw the promo on news the other day. Going to have pick up a few and give it a try.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Been working on this for a month... I know @Joe_Hoopsier is a pilot, maybe others. Anyway, as a public service... The skies will be full that day...

Screenshot_20240307-115457.thumb.png.a837f0c51bbf601b49ad14d4af09e52b.png

Thanks @IUFLA ! If any of you fly, come fly into our little Grass strip to watch the eclipse. 1I3 (one India three) in south central Indiana We are out in the middle of the farm fields by Switz City, so flat open skies. Food, drinks available, and hopefully clear skies.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My house is about half a mile from dead center of the totality path so we're hosting a field party complete with snacks, drinks and eclipse music.  Even getting a couple of nice portable toilets with powered sinks delivered next Wednesday.  According to the location website on my phone, we should be in total mode for 4 minutes and 4 seconds.

Best part is, I get to stay home.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

My house is about half a mile from dead center of the totality path so we're hosting a field party complete with snacks, drinks and eclipse music.  Even getting a couple of nice portable toilets with powered sinks delivered next Wednesday.  According to the location website on my phone, we should be in total mode for 4 minutes and 4 seconds.

Best part is, I get to stay home.

Hope the clouds stay away!

• Like 1