2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

3 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

If we have Myles Rice and get this point guard I wonder if Cupps changes his mind?

If Cupps were smart, he'd redshirt this coming year, put on some size and learn from the veterans ahead of him.  Kid has some talent, but he was thrown straight into the fire when he really wasn't ready. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

If Cupps were smart, he'd redshirt this coming year, put on some size and learn from the veterans ahead of him.  Kid has some talent, but he was thrown straight into the fire when he really wasn't ready. 

Weirdly enough I actually thought about this but I just don’t see him willing to do that.

7 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm kinda lukewarm on Payne...

Love his motor, but he's a post player, and, as some have said, probably not a good fit with Malik...Plus, he had back issues last year, and those can be troublesome...

He's a big, physical kid who plays hard and blocks his share of shots though...

I read somewhere that he was  sub 50% from the charity stripe.  That would knock him down the list to me.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I read somewhere that he was  sub 50% from the charity stripe.  That would knock him down the list to me.  

Yeah, sub .500...

13-19 (69%) in his last 4 games though...

I just wish he had a different game, because he's one of the toughest, hardest playing kids in our league...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, sub .500...

13-19 (69%) in his last 4 games though...

I just wish he had a different game, because he's one of the toughest, hardest playing kids in our league...

Uhhh if he wants to take a pay raise and be one of the first two off the bench I'm game. 

Avged 2.5 oRebs a game in 22.5 mins. Defends the rim. 6'9 255 is plenty big with gobs of experience. 

Malik plays the "starting" 5 in this scenario. Even so, I think he could play 24mins+ for us.. 

You'd still need another big, doesn't have to be a rotational guy but just to have for depth. Injuries, massive foul trouble type things. 

Orrrr... 

Malik 

Humrichous 

MM 

Carlyle 

Rice 

---- 

TG 

Payne 

Tucker 

Newton 

Cupps

Newton 

Transfer big 

Blazi 

That's a squad!!! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Uhhh if he wants to take a pay raise and be one of the first two off the bench I'm game. 

Avged 2.5 oRebs a game in 22.5 mins. Defends the rim. 6'9 255 is plenty big with gobs of experience. 

Malik plays the "starting" 5 in this scenario. Even so, I think he could play 24mins+ for us.. 

You'd still need another big, doesn't have to be a rotational guy but just to have for depth. Injuries, massive foul trouble type things. 

Orrrr... 

Malik 

Humrichous 

MM 

Carlyle 

Rice 

---- 

TG 

Payne 

Tucker 

Newton 

Cupps

Newton 

Transfer big 

Blazi 

That's a squad!!! 

I'd think Bradshaw would be a higher priority...a lot like Ware in both stature and freshman experience (although his was more injury related)...

I don't know if it matters, but Bradshaw is from Jersey and was an AAU teammate of Mackenzie Mgbako per @The Daily Hoosier...

And as I said, I'd give Payne's back plenty of attention before I made a serious pitch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Orrrr... 

Malik 

Humrichous 

MM 

Carlyle 

Rice 

---- 

TG 

Payne 

Tucker 

Newton 

Cupps

Newton 

Transfer big 

Blazi 

That's a squad!!! 

I think Conwell will be a Hoosier 

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I believe that IU will have a very good shot at landing Conwell as things stand today 

Ok.. well why? 

Did Rabby say something today? 

IMO- we always had a solid shot because of logistics and being from the state. 

Moving from Terre Haute to Bloomington in the grand scheme of things, even STL, wouldn't be all that bad... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I believe that IU will have a very good shot at landing Conwell as things stand today 

Conwell and Rice would be quite nice…..I’m a poet, and didn’t know it, I just like to show it….ill see myself out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We prepped under the assumption he’d be entering for awhile, we called him the second he entered the portal, rabby had an update tonight that his family was very receptive of what IU was telling them tonight 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

28 minutes ago, Andrew said:

We prepped under the assumption he’d be entering for awhile, we called him the second he entered the portal, rabby had an update tonight that his family was very receptive of what IU was telling them tonight 

Rabby was on Hoosier Hysterics a week or two ago.  Said he saw Conwell in high school and thought he was pretty good.  Was surprised he was being overlooked at the time when he talked to college coaches.  We can correct course now.

Conwell is a tough kid and rebounds like an animal for his size.   You can easily run him in three guard lineups   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Rabby was on Hoosier Hysterics a week or two ago.  Said he saw Conwell in high school and thought he was pretty good.  Was surprised he was being overlooked at the time when he talked to college coaches.  We can correct course now.

Conwell is a tough kid and rebounds like an animal for his size.   You can easily run him in three guard lineups   

put Rabby on staff if he knew what no coach in the country knew.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, btownqb said:

Ok.. well why? 

Did Rabby say something today? 

IMO- we always had a solid shot because of logistics and being from the state. 

Moving from Terre Haute to Bloomington in the grand scheme of things, even STL, wouldn't be all that bad... 🤷‍♂️

There’s mutual interest at this point and IU has the money to get it done

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There’s mutual interest at this point and IU has the money to get it done

Thank you

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Thank you

15 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Weirdly enough I actually thought about this but I just don’t see him willing to do that.

I could see it for a kid planning his future.  Like, if I know I am a good college player but probably never going to be in the NBA, I take the redshirt for an extra year of free college.  He could have a graduate degree completed in 5 years if he went the accelerated route through the summer.