2024/2025 portal/late decommits IU is interested in

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Also remember that international players that aren’t US citizens can only earn NIL in their home country. 

Is that true for every foreign country?  I know nada about international taxation, but would assume that it's not a U.S. tax code issue?

2 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

I really don't mean to be a buzzkill, so I'll leave it here. But there hasn't been a year in recent memory where the on court results matched the pre-season hype for IU. All I'm saying is that I see no reason to believe next year will be any different. Yes, there was a talent deficiency last year in the backcourt, but the bigger issue is a schematic deficiency that isn't going away.

Again, happy to be proven wrong in time. But I don't think I will be.

Respect your opinion but I’m of the total opposite belief that system is the bigger problem over talent.

Our guards have been dreadful since Cream left. That includes Romeo, bc he played hurt. X was never the answer either. We haven’t had a top PG since Yogi. I think Carlyle is a great fit if his shooting improves. Which freshman to soph jump for a good FT shooter is a very good indication he will be a mid 30’s% from 3 next year. Rice projects even better from deep. Both are tremendous athletes that can finish at the rim AND then also finish the old fashion 3pt play by actually making g their FT’s. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Is that true for every foreign country?  I know nada about international taxation, but would assume that it's not a U.S. tax code issue?

I said it in another post but I'm really not sure how all that works. 

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I said it in another post but I'm really not sure how all that works. 

Yeah, I saw the disclaimer after I posted the question while I was catching up.

Me neither, but I'm leaning toward country-specific issue.  For Edey, I'm guessing it was a Canada taxation issue.  That being said, smart accountants figure stuff like that out all the time and plenty of foreign citizens make $$$ in the U.S., so maybe Edey just had insufficient or bad advice.  I have a hard time believing that he absolutely could not make U.S. NIL $$$.  It's more likely that he didn't want to screw with the taxation issues involved.

Edited by FKIM01

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Me neither, but I'm leaning toward country-specific issue.  For Edey, I'm guessing it was a Canada taxation issue.  That being said, smart accountants figure stuff like that out all the time and plenty of foreign citizens make $$$ in the U.S., so maybe Edey just had insufficient or bad advice.  I have a hard time believing that he absolutely could not make U.S. NIL $$$.  It's more likely that he didn't want to screw with the taxation issues involved.

Morale of the story--- DON'T BE FROM CANADA!! 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Can we move this convo over to the "Zachry Cheyne Edey // Canadian Taxes & U.S. NIL Discussion Thread" please? :coffee:

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Well IU is still going to try but I find it unlikely that he would come to IU. I could be wrong though. 

Thats how i feel too, full throttle for Hickman this weekend to come off the bench with gallo 

If I’m Conwell, I’m thinking I am starting at IU.  Woody would love him.  Tough kid and will go get some boards too.  Competitor.  

Recruit like Knight.  Get the right talent and have them compete.  He had Edwards, Jones and Meeks and still brought in Reynolds, Greg G., Pat G and Leary one year and then Bailey.   

Cignetti is doing it.  We have like 7 fairly proven running backs and more receivers.  Battle it out and let’s go.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Thats how i feel too, full throttle for Hickman this weekend to come off the bench with gallo 

Payne/Ball to go with Rice, KC, Hickman, TG, MM, Tucker, and MR--- LOVE it

Find another depth piece that is 6'9+---- Leal, Cupps, Newton-- you'd still have one scholly left. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Payne/Ball to go with Rice, KC, Hickman, TG, MM, Tucker, and MR--- LOVE it

Find another depth piece that is 6'9+---- Leal, Cupps, Newton-- you'd still have one scholly left. 

PG: Rice
SG: Carlyle
SF: Mgbako
PF: Reneau
center: Ballo

Gallo
Tucker
Hickman
Humrichous
Cupps
Leal
Newton

Is what i would like to realistically see but this is very wishful thinking 

Edited by Andrew
  • Like 4

@Andrew and @DC2345

is Blazi out of the mix?  Did we offer?

If you Google him and see his social media he sure doesn’t seem locked in. I could see him scaring coaches off.  We have no idea how he is in a meeting.  If he gave me a flighty vibe, I’d pass.  But if he seems serious, the athleticism could be interesting with maybe a redshirt.  

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

PG: Rice
SG: Carlyle
SF: Mgbako
PF: Reneau
center: Ballo

Gallo
Tucker
Hickman
Humrichous
Cupps
Leal
Newton

Is what i would like to realistically see 

that part of the equation I don't find very likely logistically.. in no way shape or form could you turn him down, though. 

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

@Andrew and @DC2345

If you Google him and see his social media he sure doesn’t seem locked in. I could see him scaring coaches off.  We have no idea how he is in a meeting.  If he gave me a flighty vibe, I’d pass.  But if he seems serious, the athleticism could be interesting with maybe a redshirt.  

I doubt it, also just a fyi I’m no insider of any sorts i just look at all of the boards out there but i prefer commenting on this one 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

@Andrew and @DC2345

I don't expect IU to offer him unless something changes.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

All this talk about all these inbound transfers and returning contributors and now watch....Jakai Newton will be the 2nd coming of Jalen Suggs or something. 😂

The explosiveness he's shown in the videos late in the season were IMPRESSIVE

5 hours ago, IUProfessor said:

In my mind, that's what a starting lineup of Rice-Carlyle-Mgbako-Reneau-Ballo would represent.

Just to be clear, I think Rice is a great target, and expect that he will improve his 3 point shooting in time. I don't see Carlyle as a great fit with this roster, especially at the expense of a great all-around talent like Conwell. Ballo is a pass for me, I don't think he and Reneau will pair well together for a coherent, high level offense.

If we got Ballo I could see them starting together but then Woodson staggering them a little plus if Reneau can’t fix foul problems it won’t matter much anyways. I feel like he played Ware and Reneau together at times but towards the end started staggering them more. 

• Like 1