Seems to be some problems for IU President.

2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I graduated in 2021. Had many teachers that were very politically biased and left… I’m sure these are the ones voting no confidence which comes as no surprise. Half the faculty there is extremely lazy and terrible at their job. These professors are all power hungry. 

Since you're a fairly recent grad, I find your perspective interesting,  although I'm going to try to turn down the political heat some and take the position that no political bias of any stripe belongs in the classroom. What you say has a ring of truth to my experience with my daughter's time in dental school.  Her experience wasn't as bad as you're indicating yours was, but I'd expect dental school professors are, in general, more professional than some of the undergrad faculty you're describing. 

That being said, yeah...I get political bias creeping into poly sci classes (even though it shouldn't there either), but when politics even creep into dental school classrooms and administration,  you've got a problem that I referred to as 'institutional rot" in a topic I started in Crester's Corner.  There's too much interest in indoctrination vs. actual  education and it's far from just IU.  Even the Ivy's are struggling with this and in my mind, it's ruining and devaluating college education in America. To be fair, it's not all the faculty there.  I have a high school friend that teaches at IU. Knowing him as I do, I don't believe he lets politics into his classroom, at least not to the point of trying to teach students what to think, but I know it happened to my daughter both during her undergrad at USI and dental school at IU and I didn't like it and didn't appreciate having to pay for it.  I suspect the heat Whitten is taking here is at least partially from an effort to reduce the level of political bias at IU. I think she's right to avoid taking strong positions in controversial topics such as the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and abortion.  I feel that way regardless of whether or not I'd personally agree with the side a school took. I simply don't feel like politics belong on most classrooms.  Even poly sci professors should strive to teach the ideas while avoiding the bias, although I recognize it's tougher in that discipline. 

Imagine how unwelcome someone like Yarden Garzone feels if one of her teachers leads an anti-Israeli demonstration and calls her people murderers?  I get that you can't (and shouldn't) suppress the student's free speech.  I also get that you can't instruct faculty what to personally believe.  At the same time, I think it's fair to insist that faculty keep their personal biases out of the classroom and teach instead of attempting to indoctrinate.

It sounds like that's at the root of the conflict between Whitten and some of the faculty and assuming I'm correct, I'm on her side. Ditch the politics and focus on your mission...education. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Ditch the politics and focus on your mission...education. 

Right there it is, and that goes for both sides, both liberal and conservative.  If you're teaching something that's objective (anything STEM, etc), zero need for any spin in either direction.  It's all fact based.  A lot of philosophic based courses, yes, it's unavoidable, but keep things as neutral as possible. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

🤢 being on that list is gross...

11 of the 18 B10 universities, 5 of the 8 Ivys, plus Duke, Stanford & Berkeley. 

I find it hard to believe that every single one of those institutions has rampant antisemitism occurring. 

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

11 of the 18 B10 universities, 5 of the 8 Ivys, plus Duke, Stanford & Berkeley. 

I find it hard to believe that every single one of those institutions has rampant antisemitism occurring. 

is rampant different than endorsed? I think so...  I would agree, I doubt it's rampant at the schools..

Do I think some in these schools endorse it? I think that 100%  

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1