Seems to be some problems for IU President.

11 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Unfortunately in today’s climate, there are growing numbers on both sides of any issue that will refuse any compromise.

This is also giving a rise to a growing moderate population that's sick of both sides of most issues.  We're the ones smart enough to keep our mouths shut on social media though.  😉

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't think it ever reached a VONC.  For the most part, Daniels is a pretty well liked figure in West La-la-land.  I'm sure there were some faculty that had some kind of gripe (justified or not) at some point, there always will be.  But the biggest source of controversy surrounding Daniels was his election to the position.  He had appointed 8 of the 10 board members during his time as governor, although they did rule that a conflict of interest didn't exist. 

Some of it is probably the difference in the composition of the academic specialties between the two universities. Engineering, sciences and Ag dominate at Purdue. When I went to IU, the Business School felt like it was on an island much of the time. 

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

When I went to IU, the Business School felt like it was on an island much of the time. 

On an island.....yeah, Alcatraz according to most.  😂

I loved getting into those kind of debates though.  Nobody sees a marketing major with an (almost) minor in philosophy coming. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I dont step foot in Bloomington unless its to attend a game. Its pretty much a smaller portland. HARD PASS. 

This is what i kinda been sayin for a while about getting certain players on campus... alot prolly dont want that " political distraction" or agree with alot of the professors... but they would the IU president... just saying

16 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I dont step foot in Bloomington unless its to attend a game. Its pretty much a smaller portland. HARD PASS. 

This is a good point, the city is the bigger problem.  Homeless problem continuing to grow and they want more money instead of shutting it down.  Just sending away non Monroe county folk would reduce the greatly.  Already had two people killed in homeless camps in Btown recently and my wife and children have been harassed ion Kirkwod over the years.  Urban deer has been an issue for years yet the bleeding hearts don’t want to kill them yet non lethal options are improve not to work.  They just have let that sit for years and now I see coyotes in my back yard and I live right by the freaking mall in a very urban area.  They also have cookie cutter houses on historical lists that have no business there and want to control details on proposals that cause IU hospital to completely change locations to on campus to not have to deal with them as that’s Gov land they built on.

I will say you not coming to Btown is a shame.  So many great food/bar options that are local and fantastic.  The food and bar scene makes up for a lot.  Or maybe the alcohol drowns my disdain, all part of their plan 😂 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Homeless problem continuing to grow and they want more money instead of shutting it down.  Just sending away non Monroe county folk would reduce the greatly.

Couple of things I don't understand about your post.

1. What form would "shutting it down" take? Are you just saying to tell them to "move along"? Move along to where?

2. Sending away "non Monroe County folk". To where are you going to send them? Regardless of the "where" part, how does that solve or improve anything? It starts to sound like a "not in my back yard" sort of thing. Sorry if that isn't what you mean.

Honestly, I'm totally stumped as to what can be done to help solve the problems and not just hide them or make them someone else's problem. Wish I was smart enough to figure out better answers. 

Edited by Tom White

38 minutes ago, Courtsense2 said:

Censorship and cancellation is wrong...especially on a college campus.

Regardless of which side does the cancelling.

Whitten is wrong here but the staff attacking her are hypocrites.

The support of terrorism would be a bigger deal than censorship, though. 

And the staff are for sure hypocrites. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I’ve heard it be called the San Francisco of the Midwest lol… that’s all I’ll comment on it

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tom White said:

Couple of things I don't understand about your post.

1. What form would "shutting it down" take? Are you just saying to tell them to "move along"? Move along to where?

2. Sending away "non Monroe County folk". To where are you going to send them? Regardless of the "where" part, how does that solve or improve anything? It starts to sound like a "not in my back yard" sort of thing. Sorry if that isn't what you mean.

Honestly, I'm totally stumped as to what can be done to help solve the problems and not just hide them or make them someone else's problem. Wish I was smart enough to figure out better answers. 

Send the outside homeless, the majority back where they came from as they are routinely bussed in for free from their home state/municipality.  They need to stop the loitering and panhandling and camps.  Make them stay at no limit shelters until they are sent back home or Portland for all I care.  Then focus on supporting our local homeless that are left.  Shut down the current process, it doesn’t work except to have everyone send their homeless here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

This is not a thread about the homeless problem in Monroe County. 

Keep 'er between the lines folks.  

Sorry responded before I saw this and reposted, will nip it now.

edit:  though I will say this is an issue for the president as my daughter at IU who grew up in this town won’t go to certain areas and has heard of issues and tense moments with her friends around town.  It’s all part of safety and security for students.  But you da boss 😅

Edited by iuthruandthru

7 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

We will let this thread run, but everyone is fairly warned - you know this is a charged topic.  Please be mindful of the rules.

Good luck...i'll stay out of this one just for you and my respect for you!! 😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The culture that IU brings has infected everything locally.  The major sports programs suffer from it. 

I quit going to Bloomington regularly after city market on Saturday got effed up. Locals will know what I'm talking about.

The food scene is bomb though. I was working in Bloomington until I was laid off. I'll work there again. No way in hell id ever live there. 

22 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I spent 5 hours walking around campus and the mainly the downtown area yesterday. I did not get that impression at all. I know it is purely anecdotal though. At most, I encountered a couple of folks who seemed to be having a rough time in life (I'll leave it at that). 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

I spent 5 hours walking around campus and the mainly the downtown area yesterday. I did not get that impression at all. I know it is purely anecdotal though. At most, I encountered a couple of folks who seemed to be having a rough time in life (I'll leave it at that). 

I'll also add that outside of the doom and gloom that you may read on conservative media, Portland is great city.  Does it have some of the at West Coast hippie, liberal attitude about?  Very much, but it also eclectic city surrounded my so much natural beauty.  It is not the warzone everyone makes it out to be, although their Chinatown was a bit suspect.  Cities with any sort of age are always going to have problems due to having to deal with diversity, aging infrastructure, and now changing dynamics in market (work from home, online shopping, etc.), but I'd like to think human's are still social people that want to be near each other.   

• Like 4