Seems to be some problems for IU President.

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

I'll also add that outside of the doom and gloom that you may read on conservative media, Portland is great city.  Does it have some of the at West Coast hippie, liberal attitude about?  Very much, but it also eclectic city surrounded my so much natural beauty.  It is not the warzone everyone makes it out to be, although their Chinatown was a bit suspect.  Cities with any sort of age are always going to have problems due to having to deal with diversity, aging infrastructure, and now changing dynamics in market (work from home, online shopping, etc.), but I'd like to think human's are still social people that want to be near each other.   

What does Him walking around campus have to do with Portland?

2 hours ago, bronkonagurski said:

I spent 5 hours walking around campus and the mainly the downtown area yesterday. I did not get that impression at all. I know it is purely anecdotal though. At most, I encountered a couple of folks who seemed to be having a rough time in life (I'll leave it at that). 

Seminary Park and Switchyard are getting rough. 

When I worked at Catalent alot of homeless around Patterson in people's backyards

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Earlier in the thread Bloomington was compared to Portland. 

Why would someone do that. no one craps in the street and Antifa doesnt run Bloomington. Bloomington also gets rid of the tent cities when they pop up. So not even close.

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

Not a political statement whatsoever but times must have changed quite a bit.  I don’t even recall seeing homelessness in my seven years in Bloomington (80s and 90s).  

I was there '03-05 and I don't recall seeing anything rampant.  Maybe one here or there on a busy street occasionally, but nothing frequent. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Not a political statement whatsoever but times must have changed quite a bit.  I don’t even recall seeing homelessness in my seven years in Bloomington (80s and 90s).  

times have changed my friend. homeless everywhere in bloomington.

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Don't go visit Seminary Park.  The kids call the Kroger that's right there Kroghetto.  

I think we're way off the OP!  Lol

That's the one that's at 2nd and College (more or less) right?

Damn....that used to be the Kroger I'd go to.  I held on to the IU-themed Plus card I got from there for like 10 years after I graduated. 😂

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's the one that's at 2nd and College (more or less) right?

Damn....that used to be the Kroger I'd go to.  I held on to the IU-themed Plus card I got from there for like 10 years after I graduated. 😂

Yep.  I used to go to that one also!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Yep.  I used to go to that one also!

I lived in Brownstone, so that was the quickest one to get to for me, traffic wise anyway.  The really kick-ass grocery store at the time was the Marsh out on the bypass. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

I lived in Brownstone, so that was the quickest one to get to for me, traffic wise anyway.  The really kick-ass grocery store at the time was the Marsh out on the bypass. 

The Marsh is now a Kroger. Half of Brownstone is now gone. Other half going away this summer. Look up the Current on 14th st. impressive place.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

The Marsh is now a Kroger. Half of Brownstone is now gone. Other half going away this summer. Look up the Current on 14th st. impressive place.

I saw that on Google Maps awhile back.  Sad, but not surprising.  They were still decent but starting to show their age even when I was there. 

6 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Don't go visit Seminary Park.  The kids call the Kroger that's right there Kroghetto.  

I think we're way off the OP!  Lol

Dang, When attended IU in early 2000s I lived off Grant Street and Smith. I would walk to that Kroger all the time and hang in Seminary Park.

The only homeless I ever saw were at Peoples Park off of Kirkwood. Most were transient and would leave in the winter and come back during the spring and summer. As I recall a lot of them had names and the locals knew them. They were overall friendly and never bothered anyone. I guess things have really changed?

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Dang, When attended IU in early 2000s I lived off Grant Street and Smith. I would walk to that Kroger all the time and hang in Seminary Park.

The only homeless I ever saw were at Peoples Park off of Kirkwood. Most were transient and would leave in the winter and come back during the spring and summer. As I recall a lot of them had names and the locals knew them. They were overall friendly and never bothered anyone. I guess things have really changed?

What years, just out of curiosity? I was 03-05

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

You just missed the opening of the first Chipotle then, didn’t you? 

Just built one on the west side. Close to Rural King. You Could have your lunch then take the whole purdue cheer squad to Rural King and strap on the feed buckets.....:coffee:

• Haha 2

Mitch Daniels (conservative) ran Purdue. They all loved him and Purdue is the number one public school in Indiana for a reason. 

“Faculty” is a bunch of libs which is why the university hasn’t had its priorities straight for a long time and why we’re falling behind. 

I graduated in 2021. Had many teachers that were very politically bias and left… I’m sure these are the ones voting no confidence which comes as no surprise. Half the faculty there is extremely lazy and terrible at their job. These professors are all power hungry. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1