Internet/GigabitNow

Anyone switch over to this Fiber internet provider? 

Sorry guys, I know the bare minimum when it comes to this stuff.... 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I can get Fiber cheaper than I am paying for Xfinity, I'd be stupid not to go that route, correct? 

I have ATT Fiber, and it's about in the transfer range they talk about, and I pay $99 a month...

I don't like it when they basically make you set up an account before I even know if it's available at my address...

Are you currently on a bundle with Xfinity, with cable and internet together?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I have ATT Fiber, and it's about in the transfer range they talk about, and I pay $99 a month...

I don't like it when they basically make you set up an account before I even know if it's available at my address...

Are you currently on a bundle with Xfinity, with cable and internet together?

Internet only. I stream "cable" using my dad's directv login info. lol it's great.... 

Xfinity $105 per month... 1000 download, 100 upload

GigabitNow would be $90 or so... and 2000 download, 2000upload 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Internet only. I stream "cable" using my dad's directv login info. lol it's great.... 

Xfinity $105 per month... 1000 download, 100 upload

GigabitNow would be $90 or so... and 2000 download, 2000upload 

I'd do it if the difference in speeds is actually that big...I did a search on GigabitNow and the reviews are mixed...

I was looking into MetroNet a while back. The one concern I had was regarding the installation process. Fiber lines would need to be connected to the house, the infrastructure isn't already in place like with cable. Some complaints had been that MetroNet contracts out this work, and some installers left the yard in bad shape. 

6 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I was looking into MetroNet a while back. The one concern I had was regarding the installation process. Fiber lines would need to be connected to the house, the infrastructure isn't already in place like with cable. Some complaints had been that MetroNet contracts out this work, and some installers left the yard in bad shape. 

Confident that won't be the case with GigabitNow. I've watched them install it in my houses in my neighborhood. 

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'd do it if the difference in speeds is actually that big...I did a search on GigabitNow and the reviews are mixed...

I also lose service probably 1-2 times a week for a little bit, plussss--- I'd be pretty surprised if Xfinity, in my area, has very good reviews. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Granted-- this was from their customer service rep--- but he acted like comparing the quality of internet between fiber and the type of internet Xfinity is---- is like night and day? 

We recently got fiber here (not Gigabit) and they gave us a choice of speed with 3 different price ranges. Install was great, service is top notch, and I've only had to reset the router once in the past 4 months (and I'm not sure that was the issue anyway).

Might want to check and see if you have any pricing options based on your usage. Unless you're a big gamer, 1 gig is plenty. I've got 350 mbps up and down, and don't come close to using that much with 2-3 TV's streaming, 2-3 computers running at once.

16 hours ago, DWB said:

We recently got fiber here (not Gigabit) and they gave us a choice of speed with 3 different price ranges. Install was great, service is top notch, and I've only had to reset the router once in the past 4 months (and I'm not sure that was the issue anyway).

Might want to check and see if you have any pricing options based on your usage. Unless you're a big gamer, 1 gig is plenty. I've got 350 mbps up and down, and don't come close to using that much with 2-3 TV's streaming, 2-3 computers running at once.

I am a big gamer. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I am a big gamer. 

With gaming, on-line auctions and such it’s not just the download speed! You need to worry about the upload speeds and just as important the Ping times! Do some research on your options.

Also do some research among gamers of recommended upload speeds and ping. Each game can have there own recommendations.

Edited by Drroogh

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

With gaming, on-line auctions and such it’s not just the download speed! You need to worry about the upload speeds and just as important the Ping times! Do some research on your options.

Also do some research among gamers of recommended upload speeds and ping. Each game can have there own recommendations.

I have. I understand all of that. 

I just need to know about this specific product/company. 

I spoke to a neighbor, she's educated on the topic and loves the fiber. I bought it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Xfinitys upload speeds are awful. 100

Compared to fiber than can get 2000. 

I also didnt understand, until yesterday, everyone in my neighborhood "pulls" from each other in terms of internet access and Xfinity. 

With Fiber you dont have that. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Xfinitys upload speeds are awful. 100

Compared to fiber than can get 2000. 

I also didnt understand, until yesterday, everyone in my neighborhood "pulls" from each other in terms of internet access and Xfinity. 

With Fiber you dont have that. 

Actually 100 upload isn’t bad, check the ping though. Ping is latency that can be more location based. If the Xfinity access point is just around the corner vs fiber access point being a hundred miles away?! I quite often connect through Detroit which is 50 miles away! Yeah my ping sucks!

53 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Actually 100 upload isn’t bad, check the ping though. Ping is latency that can be more location based. If the Xfinity access point is just around the corner vs fiber access point being a hundred miles away?! I quite often connect through Detroit which is 50 miles away! Yeah my ping sucks!

Mines 24-26 

• Like 1

Fiber is currently the best "home" internet service you can get.  Cable isn't terrible but you run in to the everyone is tapping the same run and can cause some slowness during peak time.  Most people don't need the bandwidth that fiber delivers, especially the upload speed.  But always get the best you can for the money.  If they offer fiber, get fiber.  Its only got get to faster as they find newer ways to move data through light.