Romeo Langford

• Replies 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Thread stat updates, (no beer tonight):

1 view every 72 seconds since OP.

1200 views per day along with 2 pages growth per day.

52.7% of all posts in this sub forum (BB recruitment) are in this thread.

20 views added while 'mathing'.

Conclusion:  at the current rate, we can expect roughly 34 more pages before announcement. 

I think we could get to 35 pages alone if we could discuss backlash again. :coffee:

16 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

If he goes elsewhere we will be fine. With the grad transfer rule it is much easier to get a needed piece here and there. 

True. I don't think many of us believe we won't be fine in the long run. But with Romeo and with Morgan probably coming back, we have a chance to be a whole lot better than fine as early as next year.

I keep coming back to the fact that Indiana makes so much sense that it's hard to believe he would go any where else. Bglees has pointed this out too. Vandy and Kansas are fine schools and normally I would just shake it off as one thing or another. But hometown hero shooting guard that fills the last piece to a pretty solid line up and a chance to be remembered in your home state. If that doesn't get Romeos blood pumping then God speed and good luck but I can't say I would understand it. 

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/03/27/romeo-langford-thought-recruitment-would-over-now-but-here-am/462254002/

Not sure if anyone posted this article but it had some interesting quotes...

1) Sounds like Romeo genuinely isn't 100% on which school he is going to. He said, " I told myself I wasn’t going to be that one guy that would wait until the last minute...But here I am... I know some people commit early and then text me like, ‘Dang, I wish I would never have committed so early because of this or that'...Even though I waited so long, I get to see how everything plays out so when I get there nothing will be different or I won’t be surprised by anything.”

2) In regards to the communication between him and Darius, AND THIS IS AN ACTUAL QUOTE... 

"Langford said the texts often read like this:

Garland: “What’s up?”

Langford: “Nothing.”

Garland: “Come to Vandy.”

If that's the normal interaction/ recruiting tactic from Darius, I feel more confident in Romeo not going to Vandy. That's not friendship, that's just someone bombarding you constantly about their own desires. I think Phinisee has the right idea with talking to Romeo...just reach out to him and get to know him on a deeper level and hope that the connection you build will lead itself to an IU commitment. Speaking of Phinisee, the article did state that along with Garland,  "Langford said he has developed a similar relationship with McCutcheon guard Robert Phinisee, an Indiana recruit."

3) “I think it’s (Drew) as a coach,” Langford said of Vanderbilt’s recruiting success. “It’s how smart he is and his resume playing in the (NBA)."  I mentioned this earlier in this thread but not sure why Romeo cares so much about his coach playing in the NBA. All the best colleges coaches in the game never played professionally and are doing just fine lol. 

7 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

By adding Romeo, we would be a top 7 recruiting class for next season.  If not, we stay in the 20's.  

I just look at a team like Michigan. I bet they didn't have a top 10 recruiting class to make up their team. Loyola of Chicago certainly didn't have a top recruiting class and probably Villanova wasn't a top 10 class. What is more important isn't having the right pieces to the puzzle, good coaching and team chemistry. 

I want Mr. Langford to come here but I won't lose one bit of sleep if he does or he doesn't. Unlike Coach Crean, I think Coach Miller has a plan b and probably a plan c. We haven't had that type of mindset in years. 

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yes.  You I can vouch.  But you really need to clarify.  The package was packed with IU gear, and nothing of the nature that Kentucky players used to receive.   LOL

LOL...yes...absolutely.  Nothing underhanded about the way the Zellers operate.  Top notch people.

It was an all star scrimmage. On Tuesday.Real game is Wednesday.   Players intent on going to the NBA, don't play defense in all star scrimmages. Though I don't expect to see much defense tonight either.   More than Romeo's unwillingness to engage, on defense, I was more taken aback by his inability to hit shots, he should have hit. To me, he didn't seem engaged at all, either on the court, or on the bench.

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I just look at a team like Michigan. I bet they didn't have a top 10 recruiting class to make up their team. Loyola of Chicago certainly didn't have a top recruiting class and probably Villanova wasn't a top 10 class. What is more important isn't having the right pieces to the puzzle, good coaching and team chemistry. 

I want Mr. Langford to come here but I won't lose one bit of sleep if he does or he doesn't. Unlike Coach Crean, I think Coach Miller has a plan b and probably a plan c. We haven't had that type of mindset in years. 

This. Next year’s recruiting class will be good, with or without Romeo. Obviously it would be better with him, but chemistry is everything. He has to recognize that the current players on our roster traveled to see him and watch him play. And care about developing a relationship with him.

I have no clue as to what Romeo will do, but I like where we’re headed as a program. I really like our incoming freshmen and the guys that we’re bringing back. 

Romeo is a big time recruit, no doubt. I feel like his biggest weakness, as someone pointed out earlier, is defense. I don’t think that neither of the other coaches emphasize defense like Archie does. If I’m Archie, I’m telling him that he’s a very good, if not great offensive player... but I can help you round out your game and become a complete player. 

Romeo seems like the type of kid that will accept constructive criticism. Although I’m sure that Archie has already told him this. Because Arch seems very nonsensical too.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It was an all star scrimmage. On Tuesday.Real game is Wednesday.   Players intent on going to the NBA, don't play defense in all star scrimmages. Though I don't expect to see much defense tonight either.   More than Romeo's unwillingness to engage, on defense, I was more taken aback by his inability to hit shots, he should have hit. To me, he didn't seem engaged at all, either on the court, or on the bench.

It's because he's too far from home and the other recruits keep pestering him to go to schools he really doesn't want to go to.:coffee:

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It's because he's too far from home and the other recruits keep pestering him to go to schools he really doesn't want to go to.:coffee:

You may be onto something, seriously.  He did say something about other players pressuring him as to where he should go.  I did not think of that, till you brought it up.

To keep things optimistic, I'll share this perspective... Romeo said in that IndyStar interview that he's waited this long in order to potentially avoid regret in committing too early to a program. Maybe he's been leaning towards IU and hasn't committed yet because he doesn't want to be that guy that lets everyone down by re-opening his recruitment and going out of state (ex- Tyler Herro). 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

To keep things optimistic, I'll share this perspective... Romeo said in that IndyStar interview that he's waited this long in order to potentially avoid regret in committing too early to a program. Maybe he's been leaning towards IU and hasn't committed yet because he doesn't want to be that guy that lets everyone down by re-opening his recruitment and going out of state (ex- Tyler Herro). 

Who's Tyler Herro?

1 minute ago, cybergates said:

Who's Tyler Herro?

https://247sports.com/player/tyler-herro-85253

Talented SG from Wisconsin. Originally signed with Wisco, then recommitted to UK. You can watch videos of Wisco fans at his games booing him every time he touches the ball now. Hence why I say Romeo may be waiting. He may just want to know 1000% that IU is the place for him before he potentially ends up in a similar situation. 

Archived