MLB discussion

rico

Even in his best season (2012), Molina finished 9th in average, 61st in home runs, 116th in runs, and 66th in RBIs.  His OPS+ was 20th, his oWAR  He had a good WAR of 7.2 (6th overall), but a big part of that is his defense.  Even his best offensive year was pretty average.

His per 162 game averages are only 12 HR, 73 RBI, 56 runs.

I would have loved to have had Molina on the Cubs for the past 14 years.  He's a great player, I just don't think he's Hall of Fame worthy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Even in his best season (2012), Molina finished 9th in average, 61st in home runs, 116th in runs, and 66th in RBIs.  His OPS+ was 20th, his oWAR  He had a good WAR of 7.2 (6th overall), but a big part of that is his defense.  Even his best offensive year was pretty average.

His per 162 game averages are only 12 HR, 73 RBI, 56 runs.

I would have loved to have had Molina on the Cubs for the past 14 years.  He's a great player, I just don't think he's Hall of Fame worthy.

His defense is HOF-worthy. Depends on if his offense is decent enough. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Rather or not guys should get in for defense, the reality is that it doesn't happen much. His WAR isn't even top 20 for a catcher. 

I originally said i thought he should but wouldn't, but after really looking into it there's little case to be made in his favor. 

36 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Rather or not guys should get in for defense, the reality is that it doesn't happen much. His WAR isn't even top 20 for a catcher. 

I originally said i thought he should but wouldn't, but after really looking into it there's little case to be made in his favor. 

Roy Campanella's WAR.......34.1

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Roy Campanella's WAR.......34.1

Campanella only played 10 seasons, had only 71% of the plate appearances Molina currently has, was a 3 time MVP, and lost the last few years of his career after being paralyzed in an accident.  He also spent a handful of years in the Negro Leagues and Mexican League due to racial issues of the time and didn't get to the Majors until he was 26. Campanella was elite when he played and didn't get the benefit of longevity as much as Molina has.   Being elite for a short time vs having good longevity could be debated too.

His 162 game average was 32 HR, 114 RBI, 84 runs.

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Should Bob Boone and Jim Sunberg be in the Hall?  They are both catchers who have a higher career defensive WAR than Molina.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_def_career.shtml

And, this link has his a list of comparable offensive catchers at the age of 34.  

AJ Pierzynski?  Bill Freehan?  Jason Kendall?  Tony Pena?  

Are there any Hall of Famers there?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/molinya01.shtml

7 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Campanella only played 10 seasons, had only 71% of the plate appearances Molina currently has, was a 3 time MVP, and lost the last few years of his career after being paralyzed in an accident.  He also spent a handful of years in the Negro Leagues and Mexican League due to racial issues of the time and didn't get to the Majors until he was 26. Campanella was elite when he played and didn't get the benefit of longevity as much as Molina has.   Being elite for a short time vs having good longevity could be debated too.

His 162 game average was 32 HR, 114 RBI, 84 runs.

Yes, Roy was a beast.  Kirby Pucket is another guy that comes to mind for having a career cut short.  I heard some expert/talking head/voter talking about what his criteria was.  He voted for a guy if they were the best at their position for a 5 year span and had several other good years to go with it.

Pinch me I must be dreaming ! WHY ? #1. The Dodgers actually won a game with Clayton Kershaw as the starting pitcher [ he was 0 & 2 in his first two starts this season !!] 2. The Dodgers actually won an EXTRA inning game ( after LOSING TWO, one in 14 innings and another 15 innings ) they ACTUALLY won in 10 innings thanks to Kyle Farmer's pinch Hit double ! This was Farmer's SECOND game winning pinch hit versus the Giants in less than a full season in the majors !!  #3 . Kenley Janse ACTUALLY gets a save after BLOWING 2  opportunities in releif by giving up a Solo Home run in the ninth inning of a game that Alex Wood had pitched an 8 innining ONE hit shutout and giving up a 3-Run homer that led to another loss !! That's 2 LOSSES due to the ineffectiveness of Jansen !!!!!!! Wow , can you believe it ?? The Dodgers are off to a whopping 3 & 6 start ??? Dave Roberts might have won at least TWO of those games had he used the sacrifice bunt and manufactured a couple of runs like SMART BASEBALL MANAGERS DO !! Dave Roberts SUCKS as a manager and that opinion is BASED ON MY 70 years of following the Brooklyn/L.A. Dodgers !! IMHO , The Dodgers have not had a GOOD Manager since Walter Alston Retired !!  He was a GENIUS at manufacturing runs  , when needed !!!

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Pinch me I must be dreaming ! WHY ? #1. The Dodgers actually won a game with Clayton Kershaw as the starting pitcher [ he was 0 & 2 in his first two starts this season !!] 2. The Dodgers actually won an EXTRA inning game ( after LOSING TWO, one in 14 innings and another 15 innings ) they ACTUALLY won in 10 innings thanks to Kyle Farmer's pinch Hit double ! This was Farmer's SECOND game winning pinch hit versus the Giants in less than a full season in the majors !!  #3 . Kenley Janse ACTUALLY gets a save after BLOWING 2  opportunities in releif by giving up a Solo Home run in the ninth inning of a game that Alex Wood had pitched an 8 innining ONE hit shutout and giving up a 3-Run homer that led to another loss !! That's 2 LOSSES due to the ineffectiveness of Jansen !!!!!!! Wow , can you believe it ?? The Dodgers are off to a whopping 3 & 6 start ??? Dave Roberts might have won at least TWO of those games had he used the sacrifice bunt and manufactured a couple of runs like SMART BASEBALL MANAGERS DO !! Dave Roberts SUCKS as a manager and that opinion is BASED ON MY 70 years of following the Brooklyn/L.A. Dodgers !! IMHO , The Dodgers have not had a GOOD Manager since Walter Alston Retired !!  He was a GENIUS at manufacturing runs  , when needed !!!

Meh, look on the bright side.....you could be a Reds fan!!!!!!!  VBG

Stanton is already feeling the heat from Yankees' fans and NYC media. Swinging and missing so frequently will do that to you.

It's early, but thus far the investment hasn't paid off. Easy to be a big fish in a little pond. Now that he's under the spotlight he better start earning his contract 

51 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Stanton is already feeling the heat from Yankees' fans and NYC media. Swinging and missing so frequently will do that to you.

It's early, but thus far the investment hasn't paid off. Easy to be a big fish in a little pond. Now that he's under the spotlight he better start earning his contract 

Maybe they should trade him to the Reds?  A guy can dream can't he?

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but since it's semi baseball related I'll post here. Any of you guys down in Bloomington year round think you walk by a guy that looks like Hall of Famer Randy Johnson...it probably is him. His daughter Lexi is signed up to play volleyball at IU. 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but since it's semi baseball related I'll post here. Any of you guys down in Bloomington year round think you walk by a guy that looks like Hall of Famer Randy Johnson...it probably is him. His daughter Lexi is signed up to play volleyball at IU. 

That is awesome.........need to come up with a nickname for her.  The Baby Unit?

Archived