Hayes thoughts on pay for play

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Thanks, figured it didn’t factor in capacity. 

By your reaction, I find it curious. Do you think Duke with it's multiple 5 star players and only an average 9314 attendance should pay it's players more than IU with zero 5 star players with an attendance of 16363?

35 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

By your reaction, I find it curious. Do you think Duke with it's multiple 5 star players and only an average 9314 attendance should pay it's players more than IU with zero 5 star players with an attendance of 16363?

Nah, I haven’t thought that far into how players should be paid, I just know they are responsible for the money the NCAA generates, which was the whole reason the attendance discussion was going on. 

Got to say the last time I watched a live organized basketball game was a high school game, and I enjoyed watching the IHSAA playoffs on line as much as the NCAA championships! I only watch the NBA when players like Vic and OG are involved! For me personally, I'd rather pay to watch High School than a bunch of...... professionals! They play for the game!!! Just my opinion!

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Got to say the last time I watched a live organized basketball game was a high school game, and I enjoyed watching the IHSAA playoffs on line as much as the NCAA championships! I only watch the NBA when players like Vic and OG are involved! For me personally, I'd rather pay to watch High School than a bunch of...... professionals! They play for the game!!! Just my opinion!

Well, the "love of the game" has been gone for sometime for the guys that play them.  No way of sugar coating it........Universities make millions off their amateur athletes.  It is all about money.

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Like I said, for me personally, I'd rather watch a High School game than a professional game. Too much passion; to many mistakes to learn from; no shoe companies! Pure basketball with all of it's wizardry! 

I wouldn't be so fast to say that.  High Schools that have "star" players rake in dough.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

I wouldn't be so fast to say that.  High Schools that have "star" players rake in dough.  

True, in fact the last game I watched featured a player on both teams that went on to play high major D1 basketball! Still, was more entertaining for me how the players and couches overcame their deficiencies than watching a one and done!!

13 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Never liked Hayes as a player and even less as a role model. Not! His bringing up racial bias as why players don't get payed, completely ignores his gender bias as Bob pointed out with Title 9! To the point about empty balconies, IU still had the number 9 attendance number and by the way Duke is 47! 

Could really go on here, with both notions but going to end with my last boss is a Black Female and I'm in the engineering field. At MY last evaluation she asked what she could do better, I sincerely stated I thought she was one of the best bosses I had ever had. The point I am making is besides those college degrees really meaning something, it is the person inside that really counts!! This whole ATTITUDE that players deserve something, completely ignores that they are given a huge advantage to get ahead of everyone else, and the ones that complain the most are the ones that do the least with that advantage!!

Wait, so you're asserting racism isn't a problem in this country because you have a black boss who is good? And minorities and women are only underrepresented in leadership positions because they aren't as good as their white male counterparts? Did I misunderstand part of your post or was that a fair take away?

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Wait, so you're asserting racism isn't a problem in this country because you have a black boss who is good? And minorities and women are only underrepresented in leadership positions because they aren't as good as their white male counterparts? Did I misunderstand part of your post or was that a fair take away?

I think he is saying that he does not have a problem with race or racism.

His boss also has an exemplary attitude regardless of race.  Good bosses or leaders assume a subservient role (regardless of race) to assure their employees are positioned for success.  I have an incredible boss (never really thought of their gender or skin color).  Their is nothing they would not ask of me they would not or could not theirself.  They also ask how I am doing often and if there is ANYTHING I need.

Is racism a problem?  Yes, is it as 'skewed' as Nigel Hayes says it is?  Incredibly doubtful.

But I also fully understand you posing the questions you asked as they could be implied in the text.  I did not read them that way, but its great to see clarification asked for as opposed to assumptions being made and an uneasy relationship to follow.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Couldn't have answered better than Po did! Very discerning Po!

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

If people are actually interested in how race impacts college sports, go read Michael Bennett's book. There is a phenomenal, eye-opening chapter in there. 

You mean the guy who lied about being racially profiled by police in Las Vegas?

Don't even get me started on this race thing, let alone Michael Bennett(what a tool).  But Harbaugh did bring up something very interesting in that link I posted above.  Some talking heads are jumping on his take and expanding it.  

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah, that same Michael Bennett. What's your point?

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

His point might be that Bennett lacks any credibility because of his lies. Far better people/writers that people can read on race relations.  

What Seeking6 said.   Racism is a real problem in sports/society, but self-serving clowns like Bennett do a disservice to the cause.

I'll just address all the Bennett things at once. There's actually no evidence at all that he lied. There's body cam footage from AFTER the point he claimed there was a problem; so we don't have evidence either way with regard to the claim. 

What we do have is Bennett making a claim, then the Las Vegas Police Department refuting that claim. They either do not have body cam footage of the point MB claimed a problem occurred or chose not to release it  either way, that's questionable police work (and not having body cam footage anin no way proves Bennett's claim, but saying that).

Let's assume Bennett made it all up though; does that mean what he had to say about his college experience don't matter? Unless you've read the chapter, you have no idea what it says. I certainly didn't give any indication of what it says. 

I'd be interested to know who you all think is a far better writer to read on racism in college sports? Especially considering I'm apparently the only one that has read Bennett. 

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd be interested to know who you all think is a far better writer to read on racism in college sports? Especially considering I'm apparently the only one that has read Bennett. 

Look, Bennett has made the news for all of the wrong reasons.  Listening to him is like listening to Ted Kennedy talking about preventing car accidents.  Blah, blah, blah.  Want to read something from a "reliable" source, not from some thug that assaults old people in wheel chairs.  He can piss and moan all he wants to but he has no, and I repeat no, credibility on the issue.

Now if David Robinson wrote a book I would read it discussing what he went through. 

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Look, Bennett has made the news for all of the wrong reasons.  Listening to him is like listening to Ted Kennedy talking about preventing car accidents.  Blah, blah, blah.  Want to read something from a "reliable" source, not from some thug that assaults old people in wheel chairs.  He can piss and moan all he wants to but he has no, and I repeat no, credibility on the issue.

Now if David Robinson wrote a book I would read it discussing what he went through. 

Again, another incident with questionable at best evidence. Why did it take 14 months to file charges? If a cop saw him do it, this should be pretty open and shut and handled quickly. That didnt happen. Let's see how it plays out in court before deciding. It's certainly strange they waited until he released a book about racism to rule charges. 

Regardless, let's assume both claims against Bennett are true. Why would you not read what someone has to say because of that? Do people with a past not get to have experiences to share or an opinion? 

Do you all only read (or even read) people that you agree with?

Nigel Hayes loses all credibility by pulling the racism card. There is nothing racist about it. Baker Mayfield, a white male, heisman winner, was denied pay for play. So was Nigel’s former teammate, Frank Kaminsky (white male). So was literally everyone else. 

Nigel Hayes also failed to address a couple more issues...

1. Go play professional basketball. I’m sure someone will pay him what he’s worth. There are a lot of countries in the world that have professional basketball. 

2. In what way does his “plan” for payment result in a fair platform for D1 sports? “Just let them pay them whatever.” I can believe I wasted the few minutes of my life thinking there may be some intelligent thought. 

Theres an EXTREMELY low number of revenue generating PLAYERS. But all these guys, Nigel included, think they’re bigger than their jersey. So many of em could be replaced and no one would know any difference. Hence why programs like Michigan Football are so financially successful (presumably). I got news for Nigel, I never knew he was playing pro ball.  

Now, if you want to talk about paying players, this is easy. The NCAA does not allow employment for scholarship athletes. Why? Simple. Word gets out that the local Ford dealership hires on basketball players to wash cars. No one can stop the owner from paying $100 an hour. This clearly creates a recruiting issue. 

So, while scholarship athletes already receive living stipends, we can still pay everyone a 40 hr/week, minimum wage “salary”. Make it uniform across the NCAA. 99% of these athletes are not revenue generating players, but the name on the front of the jersey is. It’s a lot like the cashier at the drive thru window. Im not refusing my Big Mac because Katie didn’t take my order. 

As an aside about the “living” stipends.... I was a D1 scholarship athlete (baseball) and we did not have stipends, but a friend of mine on the basketball team did. He always paid for me when we went out to eat or whatever. “It’s all good man, stipend money”. 

I have no problem giving everyone minimum wage. But ultimately, if you think you deserve to get paid more than $xxx,xxx in tuition over 4 years, plus $xx,xxx in stipends every 4 years, plus allllll the other benefits...then by all means, go find someone to pay you to play. Colleges aren’t stopping you. 

Archived