Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

Just now, mchenry34 said:

What schools are most consistently using negative recruiting?

Almost all of them. We know that CAM is safe here but that is being portrayed as not true to recruits.  They are hearing that he is on hot seat, wont be there in 4 years, Can't win with 2 great players, we are non consistent. For what it is worth CMP is not one that I have heard of doing negative recruiting but most others that we are in competition with are. A parent of a young man that at best is a low D1 maybe even a D2 guy says even to his son they are getting negative info in regards to IU. What is real heart breaking is that CAM is being very honest to kids from what I know and parents truly respect him and staff. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That I can disagree with to a certain extent but more or less is in the ball park. I received a text from someone as close to this one as you can be. This is the only recruit that i can say that my info was coming from someone in the process of making a decision. I got that text on Feb 22. It read" Happy Birthday, Romeo to IU have a great day!!"

I guess let fix my statement lol, last few months instead of last month for IU.  As the new calendar year started and progressed closer and closer to the spring signing period, and the closer it got to April the more and more Romeo wanted IU

22 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Almost all of them. We know that CAM is safe here but that is being portrayed as not true to recruits.  They are hearing that he is on hot seat, wont be there in 4 years, Can't win with 2 great players, we are non consistent. For what it is worth CMP is not one that I have heard of doing negative recruiting but most others that we are in competition with are. A parent of a young man that at best is a low D1 maybe even a D2 guy says even to his son they are getting negative info in regards to IU. What is real heart breaking is that CAM is being very honest to kids from what I know and parents truly respect him and staff. 

If I'm a parent listening to these "so called, honest and respectable" opposing coaches spreading dirt about IU and Archie,....I'm a bit turned off. There is nothing worse than a deceptive, lying, patting his own back coach. I would be thinking, take care of your own business because if you're spreading rumors or lies about another coach, you must be worried about him getting this kid. There is a hidden respect for a coach like Archie. 

I feel like Archie can make this interesting unless he already knows something that we don’t... as in the possibility that Romeo comes back, or that Watford has already said thanks, but no thanks. Anyway, I’d like for our staff to reach out and see where we stand in this recruitment. Because if it were just down to Memphis and us based on his “final four” schools, it would seem like a no brainer and there’s nothing left to figure out or wait on. Whatever the case may be, we need to make an attempt. 

20 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If I'm a parent listening to these "so called, honest and respectable" opposing coaches spreading dirt about IU and Archie,....I'm a bit turned off. There is nothing worse than a deceptive, lying, patting his own back coach. I would be thinking, take care of your own business because if you're spreading rumors or lies about another coach, you must be worried about him getting this kid. There is a hidden respect for a coach like Archie. 

We have to keep in mind that these guys are very good at their job and are subtle so to speak in their approach to not turn parents off

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

You have to wonder how much effect that truly has.  If nearly every single program is talking negatively about another, does it just become white noise after awhile?

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Still.....As a parent,  Im here to listen to all you have to say about THIS school and YOU as a coach. However clever you are about weaving negativity about a rival coach is an instant turn off. That's just my take.....

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe he told them 4 times or 104 or just 1 or 0. Unless KB or a member of the staff are honest and come out and say we will never know. Now will we?

What I do know for certain is that in Mid December talks among RP, AF ,TJD KB AND RL, about how they would be playing for a national championship next year were very much real.  For anyone saying that RL was 1 and Done without question that is not correct.  Did the losing streak and internal issues cost us KB? No but it did allow those other schools to get BACK into it. Follow those other schools recruiting as well as our own and we all can see that KB was IU bound. 

Instead Dad bought what CAL was selling and sold it to JR. The guys that we are currently watching and those we have offers to are still hearing lots of negatives about us. As much as I dislike CAL i have heard that he just sells his program without bashing ours but many others are using this season CAM's future etc... against us.  

Do you happen to know if IU has talked to Watford lately? What's the most recent news you've heard about Romeo possibly coming back? 

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe he told them 4 times or 104 or just 1 or 0. Unless KB or a member of the staff are honest and come out and say we will never know. Now will we? 

What I do know for certain is that in Mid December talks among RP, AF ,TJD KB AND RL, about how they would be playing for a national championship next year were very much real.  For anyone saying that RL was 1 and Done without question that is not correct.  Did the losing streak and internal issues cost us KB? No but it did allow those other schools to get BACK into it. Follow those other schools recruiting as well as our own and we all can see that KB was IU bound. 

Instead Dad bought what CAL was selling and sold it to JR. The guys that we are currently watching and those we have offers to are still hearing lots of negatives about us. As much as I dislike CAL i have heard that he just sells his program without bashing ours but many others are using this season CAM's future etc... against us.  

You made my point here for the people that were saying this for sure happened.

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

You made my point here for the people that were saying this for sure happened.

And if he did or didn't what does it really matter? The point is i know what i know and since I am KB nor on staff it really does not matter. Some people like to take little jabs and that's fine too. To each their own. I will end my part of the KB discussion with had we not left the door cracked open with things that happened from Jan 3 on,  Cal, Izzo etc... would not have been able to kick it open.

22 minutes ago, SoInHoosier25 said:

Do you happen to know if IU has talked to Watford lately? What's the most recent news you've heard about Romeo possibly coming back? 

I never put things on the board that are told to me unless it comes direct from that person but I will put this out there because 3 people said the same words to me yesterday. 2 connected with the program and one I think has connections in the program. From the staff, the last time they talked to Romeo he is turning Pro.

So if that changes then its good for us, but he's gone as of now.

Edit--- I need to add this edit. I checked around on this subject because someone I really trust received info Romeo may be back.

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I never put things on the board that are told to me unless it comes direct from that person but I will put this out there because 3 people said the same words to me yesterday. 2 connected with the program and one I think has connections in the program. From the staff, the last time they talked to Romeo he is turning Pro.

So if that changes then its good for us, but he's gone as of now.

Edit--- I need to add this edit. I checked around on this subject because someone I really trust received info Romeo may be back.

If there is merit to this,  maybe Keion caught wind and felt his playing time would be lessened. Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If there is merit to this,  maybe Keion caught wind and felt his playing time would be lessened. Just a thought.

Keion is about Keion, one and done. The one and done factory is UK. great place for him. I will be rooting he doesnt sniff being one and done.

I hope from now on if guys have the “attitude” of being a “one and done” we’d be done with them. If you end up a one and done so be it, or if you communicate that’s your goal but you aren’t all about you, that’s also fine, but I’m done with viewing college programs as a one year step.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I know that recruiting requires staffs to take risks and prioritize guys, but I really wish we had recruited him a lot harder.

Really wonder what position we would be in with the recent developments of LSU and Bama.

As I understood it, the staff told Trendon that they would recruit him as hard as he wanted...just say the word...and he hasn't really responded to that.  I'm not sure how effective pestering a kid would be after issuing that kind of invitation.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

As I understood it, the staff told Trendon that they would recruit him as hard as he wanted...just say the word...and he hasn't really responded to that.  I'm not sure how effective pestering a kid would be after issuing that kind of invitation.

Makes more sense then, hadn't heard that story.

That being said, I'd still pester him lol. Having a player of his caliber who can also stretch the floor for TJD and Davis would be really beneficial. Not to mention, he talks to Quinoes (who I think would be the biggest pickup of all the players we've recruited this year).

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

This, a lot of time its up to the kid not the staff's.

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Makes more sense then, hadn't heard that story.

That being said, I'd still pester him lol. Having a player of his caliber who can also stretch the floor for TJD and Davis would be really beneficial. Not to mention, he talks to Quinoes (who I think would be the biggest pickup of all the players we've recruited this year).

He’s not much of a shooter so he wouldn’t stretch the floor much.

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That’s what I’ve seen as being the weakest part of his game reported by people. 

I would respectfully disagree.  Trendon has the size and stroke of his brother, when Christian was a senior at IU. But Trendon is way more athletic and has better low post moves and inclination than Christian. The Watfords gave Trendon the opportunity to have coaching and resources Christian never did in high school. Trendon also had the benefit of having Christian as a big brother. They are very different coming out of high school. 

Archived