Inside-Out Recruiting Strategy

We list out the 29 players going back to 2002 that were, in my opinion, the "must have" kids produced by the state of Indiana -- and make the case that inside-out is a no-brainer strategy.

Of course I know this awesome crowd will make the case for someone I left off the list.  Those are fun debates to have.  My criteria was based on their college productivity, not high school or pros.  

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/archie-millers-inside-out-strategy-why-recruiting-the-hoosier-state-is-mission-critical/

...and as always, some real quality analysis.  My only difference with it is that character matters too and while I would welcome the MAJORITY of those kids listed, there are some character issues in that group that I wouldn't want in an IU locker room regardless of their talent.  I won't name names, but I personally recoiled at the thought of a few of those kids representing IU.

EDIT: There's really only two of those kids I would not have welcomed...one only in hindsight.  No surprise where they ended up going.

Great research.  A question of perception vs reality, in some way. As I was surprised to learn IU lead with 5 premier recruits.  And then some years there was a limited number  of primo recruits in the state.  Which helps  add to the perception that IU was not locking down the state, IMHO/ Now... the reality is that IU and Archie need to lock down the state.... even in those years where the talent level is down, from a historical perspective.  2018 was a great start.  And Archie needs to keep locking up the state for what appears to be a bumper crop of 2019 top talent as well. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Great research.  A question of perception vs reality, in some way. As I was surprised to learn IU lead with 5 premier recruits.  And then some years there was a limited number  of primo recruits in the state.  Which helps  add to the perception that IU was not locking down the state, IMHO/ Now... the reality is that IU and Archie need to lock down the state.... even in those years where the talent level is down, from a historical perspective.  2018 was a great start.  And Archie needs to keep locking up the state for what appears to be a bumper crop of 2019 top talent as well. 

I had the same "hey IU led with 5" reaction.  Then I did the math and realized that was only 17%.  I'm not sure what the % should be, but it has to be better than that.  Archie is on the right path.

10 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I had the same "hey IU led with 5" reaction.  Then I did the math and realized that was only 17%.  I'm not sure what the % should be, but it has to be better than that.  Archie is on the right path.

I would have to think that our Hoosier Sports Nation basketball savvy members, would agree that IU can't get all the top talent every year.  However, not doing the math, myself, and thanks for that..... IU and Archie need to improve upon that percentage, IMHO, in this basketball treasure rich state. 

We are going to lose some of them due to positions they play.  Yogi killed the PG market for 3 years as the starter who was not going to be replaced and then We had years of back to back to back 5* Center in Zeller and Vonleh.  But i do agree we need to lock down at least 1 top tier player in each class in Indiana each year.  Then build around that

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and as always, some real quality analysis.  My only difference with it is that character matters too and while I would welcome the MAJORITY of those kids listed, there are some character issues in that group that I wouldn't want in an IU locker room regardless of their talent.  I won't name names, but I personally recoiled at the thought of a few of those kids representing IU.

EDIT: There's really only two of those kids I would not have welcomed...one only in hindsight.  No surprise where they ended up going.

Without clicking yet, my guess is Jaquan Lyle. Time to find out if I'm right!

31 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Without clicking yet, my guess is Jaquan Lyle. Time to find out if I'm right!

Reminds me of watching, Jeopardy on Thursday, May 24.  One of the questions was .... and I am paraphrasing now, as I don't recall the exact question..... "what movie was Jimmy Chitwood", the hero? " It was answered correctly.... and of course I am sure by every Hoosier Sports Nation member who may have seen Jeopardy on Thursday.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Reminds me of watching, Jeopardy on Thursday, May 24.  One of the questions was .... and I am paraphrasing now, as I don't recall the exact question..... "what movie was Jimmy Chitwood", the hero? " It was answered correctly.... and of course I am sure by every Hoosier Sports Nation member who may have seen Jeopardy on Thursday.

Damn. I can't believe we let Jimmy get away.😛

Archived