Jerome Hunter

Hello, I'm new here and thought I would start off musing about Jerome Hunter.

To me, he is the most intriguing of the new class.

Like everyone else I'm very excited about the possibilities for IU basketball with Romeo Langford coming, and how far the new class can take us.

I have great faith in Robert Phinisee, and Damezi Anderson, whom I think are both under rated.

I don't know enough about Race Thompson to make a judgement yet.

But this Hunter kid is the 'real deal', just a great first step to the basket, and does everything well.

I think that by the time his basketball career is over at IU opposing schools fans are going to say 'thank god, it seems like he's been at Indiana for 8 years'!

Never know how players react when the lights go on. Look at Justin Smith. Wasn't much discussion about him contributing and by the end of this past season...most have him locked in as starter. Same might happen with Jerome Hunter. His versatility is a huge asset to himself and IU. 

Welcome to the board.

1 hour ago, greg haggard said:

Like everyone else I'm very excited about the possibilities for IU basketball with Romeo Langford coming, and how far the new class can take us.

I have great faith in Robert Phinisee, and Damezi Anderson, whom I think are both under rated.

But this Hunter kid is the 'real deal', just a great first step to the basket, and does everything well.

I think that by the time his basketball career is over at IU opposing schools fans are going to say 'thank god, it seems like he's been at Indiana for 8 years'!

Welcome greg!

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Never know how players react when the lights go on. Look at Justin Smith. Wasn't much discussion about him contributing and by the end of this past season...most have him locked in as starter. Same might happen with Jerome Hunter. His versatility is a huge asset to himself and IU. 

Welcome to the board.

Funny you say that...I keep equating Jerome to Justin in my head even though I know they don't play the same position, etc.  I just see him having a very similar impact this year.  Good first post...I think you are on to something there.

(...and welcome to HSN.)

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Hunter is a Greg Graham type player for us older Hoosier fans.  Only at this point in his career Hunter is much more skilled than greg was.

Ahh.  Greg Graham.  Coach Knight only went after guys he loved.  Greg was one of those players.

Been posted before, but warning, for language :

Bobby Knight goes of on Greg Graham

15 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Hunter is a Greg Graham type player for us older Hoosier fans.  Only at this point in his career Hunter is much more skilled than greg was.

I have long thought GG was the most underrated Hoosier of my lifetime (I’m 40).  I think at times how great he really was got lost in the shadow of Calbert. 

15 minutes ago, greg haggard said:

@milehiiu, In fact we were cousins.

Neat. Thanks so much for getting back with us.  You know, the thing I have always admired about Artists, like Merle and so many others in all kinds of disciplines, is that what they have contributed to society always lives on long after they are gone.  Merle may be gone. But he won't be forgotten. Again, happy to have you as a part of our little family here. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2018 at 6:15 AM, greg haggard said:

I think he is going to be a major contributor too. Love his game! Only thing I disagree with is I don’t think he makes it 4 years here. I think he goes pro before that. Any updates from anyone how he is looking on campus around the team. He is a favorite for me.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think he is going to be a major contributor too. Love his game! Only thing I disagree with is I don’t think he makes it 4 years here. I think he goes pro before that. Any updates from anyone how he is looking on campus around the team. He is a favorite for me.

Romeo and others have been raving about him.  In fact Romeo sent a text to his father and said some along the lines like this kid is unbelievable.  I believe it was shared somewhere on this board.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Romeo and others have been raving about him.  In fact Romeo sent a text to his father and said some along the lines like this kid is unbelievable.  I believe it was shared somewhere on this board.

That's exciting! Everything I've watched on this kid just tells me he is going to be a major piece to this program. The combo of his size and athleticism and skill set...he will certainly have a learning curve as all freshman do but I agree sooner before later he will make an impact.

Archived