2021 Recruiting Hub

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Romeo was a unique case I feel. UL of course lost their coach and had all the scandals. UK really backed off Romeo after Cal coached him in Egypt and dealing with his dad. Kinda left us in the catbird seat to jump back in. It was great to land him but I wouldn’t say we can count on recruiting playing out like that too often.

My friend, I’m beginning to wonder about you. No one backed off Romeo and there are many examples of IU closing a gap and winning a recruitment under many IU coaches current and prior. You seem to look for the negative. Why?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Romeo was a unique case I feel. UL of course lost their coach and had all the scandals. UK really backed off Romeo after Cal coached him in Egypt and dealing with his dad. Kinda left us in the catbird seat to jump back in. It was great to land him but I wouldn’t say we can count on recruiting playing out like that too often.

1. No, he wasn’t.

2. No one backed off Romeo let alone for his play, are you actually seriously saying that?? Dealing with his dad?? Just stop.

3. I’m starting to wonder about you man. You look for the negative on IU. Why? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

1. No, he wasn’t.

2. No one backed off Romeo let alone for his play, are you actually seriously saying that?? Dealing with his dad?? Just stop.

3. I’m starting to wonder about you man. You look for the negative on IU. Why? 

Yeah, what he said...

What he said

What he said

What he said

What he said

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

We all have posts that sometimes we regret or perhaps just having a bad day. Romeo and his family didn't believe in Cal. UK backed off? Haha. Cal is so desperate to recruit an Indiana kid he bends over backwards (Trey Lyles/IPS deal).....and of course Keion who is warming the 9 minute rotation in his 2nd year. 

I don't pay attention most of the time to posters....or their history but all I can say is someone who says this is either up to mischief on a message board or you truly don't like IU?

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Romeo would not have ended up at UK even if the issues in Egypt with Cal didn’t happen. It would have been between UofL and IU had UofL not messed up. Very close friend of mine is close to Romeos father(still stays in contact with his dad even after entering the NBA) and lives down the road from his parents.  We weren’t in the catbird seat due to other programs failing whether that be cause coach Cal has a big ego or UofL paying for some ladies to wow their recruits. We were where we were cause of the time and effort that IU put forth. 

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

My friend, I’m beginning to wonder about you. No one backed off Romeo and there are many examples of IU closing a gap and winning a recruitment under many IU coaches current and prior. You seem to look for the negative. Why?

I have said the same thing because he seems to find negativity in everything

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We all have posts that sometimes we regret or perhaps just having a bad day. Romeo and his family didn't believe in Cal. UK backed off? Haha. Cal is so desperate to recruit an Indiana kid he bends over backwards (Trey Lyles/IPS deal).....and of course Keion who is warming the 9 minute rotation in his 2nd year. 

I don't pay attention most of the time to posters....or their history but all I can say is someone who says this is either up to mischief on a message board or you truly don't like IU?

I said the same thing but people got upset with me for saying that about him.  If people have read the stories about Romeo and Cal they would have known Romeo is the one cooled on UK.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I lived in Kentucky during that recruitment. I was surrounded by Kentucky fans who listened to their radio shows and I followed that one pretty closely because I wanted us to get him. People were calling in all the time asking and all the reports I heard for months leading up to the announcement was Cal didn’t warm up to Romeos dad and had a bad taste in his mouth after the USA basketball trip to Egypt. Not saying UK would have got him but as that recruitment went along Cal prioritized others over Romeo.

17 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Romeo would not have ended up at UK even if the issues in Egypt with Cal didn’t happen. It would have been between UofL and IU had UofL not messed up. Very close friend of mine is close to Romeos father(still stays in contact with his dad even after entering the NBA) and lives down the road from his parents.  We weren’t in the catbird seat due to other programs failing whether that be cause coach Cal has a big ego or UofL paying for some ladies to wow their recruits. We were where we were cause of the time and effort that IU put forth. 

Very well said. I don’t mean to imply the reason Romeo didn’t go to UK was one sided by UK...there was a falling out in the recruitment. Add in the UL and that left us in a great spot. That was all I said. We beat out Kansas and Vanderbilt who also were hot on him. Nothing negative in this post just we drew a great hand.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I lived in Kentucky during that recruitment. I was surrounded by Kentucky fans who listened to their radio shows and I followed that one pretty closely because I wanted us to get him. People were calling in all the time asking and all the reports I heard for months leading up to the announcement was Cal didn’t warm up to Romeos dad and had a bad taste in his mouth after the USA basketball trip to Egypt. Not saying UK would have got him but as that recruitment went along Cal prioritized others over Romeo.

Probably because he was not accepting $... 😄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Don’t regret it at all. Just my opinion. I have almost 4000 posts and a house full of IU stuff. Post in every game thread cheering us on unless I have a family obligation.  My dad worked at the old RCA plant in Bloomington for over 30 years...and my mom has pictures of me in white t-shirts that I used to cut off the sleeves and take sharpies to draw my favorite IU players numbers on. She still has my old Calvert Chaney #40 jersey I bought with my own money almost 30 years ago with my mowing money as a keep sake. 

I don’t get the attack on the person. Disagree with my statements all day. Change my mind....I’m very open minded. Maybe my passion gets a little over the top and I get frustrated by the state of our program but I don’t dislike IU, Archie or anything about our sports programs. I like to think I’m pretty objective. I don’t just see all Cream and Crimson when things aren’t going well on the court and I do see the positives of how hard the team works and appreciate the efforts and improvement. I think we need to take a leap up or Archie will have people turning on him but I also don’t think you change generals mid battle unless they are just incompetent. Archie is far from that. He has his guys now so I’m hopeful. Maybe I should take a break from here. Seem I just upset people and I know my wife would love to not see me on my phone lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Probably because he was not accepting $... 😄

That could be...no debit cards full of cash lol. There were other reasons they weren’t high on getting him. Addidas kid etc etc but it was widely leaked out the relationship had soured quite a bit before the decision came down.

Putting this here to not get that other thread on the first page. Just heard Rabby say, and I like the comparison, that TK made his decision basically he preferred to perform off Broadway then on Broadway.  Might be something to it. Maybe did not want or need that spotlight like Romeo received.  Take it for what its worth.b

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Putting this here to not get that other thread on the first page. Just heard Rabby say, and I like the comparison, that TK made his decision basically he preferred to perform off Broadway then on Broadway.  Might be something to it. Maybe did not want or need that spotlight like Romeo received.  Take it for what its worth.b

It does not get much more off Broadway than Purdue!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Some kids don’t want the pressure. Understandable. His decision. I will say that Purdue tries to sell that whole blue collar underdog and IU is the prima donas all show but Archie has instilled a pretty tough culture around our program. We are just a playmaker or so away from being really dangerous. Who knows..one of the guys we already have may turn into one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Easy, Steub, I loved that show. 

"Where oh where are you tonight?  How could you leave me here all alone.  I've searched the world over and thought I'd found true love.  You met another and ppffbt... you were gone."    😋

Edited by jv1972iu