Caleb Love Commits to North Carolina

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Getting OVs is meaningless without a commitment.

Granted...but how many kids commit without taking an official visit? It’s a step...and if you have kids interested in coming and spending their time and 1 of 5 official visits (meaning he had to cut his list almost assuredly eliminating Arizona) then you are making progress. In the end yes you have to get the signature but the positive publicity and the in roads you make with the kid and those around him pay dividends. The kid talks to other kids shares you on social media and you make connections with their coaches etc. Going down the road will pay dividends...sign or not. Hopefully he signs though.

40 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The best hitters in baseball are successful about 30% of the time.  You can either embrace that reality or be upset 70% of the time.

Yes and in recruiting the percentages are probably even less. At least Archie is getting to the plate with the kid. How many 5 stars is Painter bringing in for OVs. Don’t get me wrong you don’t have to have OAD on your roster but how many championships are won by schools with no top 50 kids (5* or border line) on them. It can certainly happen but it takes a special run...hot shooting...matchups going your way...and some pretty good luck having a kid probably way over achieve his his recruiting outlook to get there...and on top of that typically you need to get a program to have multiple trips to the FF to break through or have your program get to that elite status. That is where we want to be and I believe to get there we not only have to build a foundation of great kids and team first but you have to have a handful of elite players making their way through the program to get there in the current NCAA landscape. Maybe before AAU you could achieve it without but to do it now...and live at the top...you are going to need both types of kids.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes and in recruiting the percentages are probably even less. At least Archie is getting to the plate with the kid. How many 5 stars is Painter bringing in for OVs. Don’t get me wrong you don’t have to have OAD on your roster but how many championships are won by schools with no top 50 kids (5* or border line) on them. It can certainly happen but it takes a special run...hot shooting...matchups going your way...and some pretty good luck having a kid probably way over achieve his his recruiting outlook to get there...and on top of that typically you need to get a program to have multiple trips to the FF to break through or have your program get to that elite status. That is where we want to be and I believe to get there we not only have to build a foundation of great kids and team first but you have to have a handful of elite players making their way through the program to get there in the current NCAA landscape. Maybe before AAU you could achieve it without but to do it now...and live at the top...you are going to need both types of kids.

Yet, some here think we should never go after the OAD kids

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The best hitters in baseball are successful about 30% of the time.  You can either embrace that reality or be upset 70% of the time.

Ask Cal, Coach K, hell ask any coach if getting 3 out of every 10 you recruit is good recruiting. Baseball doesn't work here. Coach K i'm guessing doesn't talk to 10 kids a year. I'm fine with the recruiting so far but if you want to win titles it better pick up. I hope Archie is here for 30 years but if you can't start pulling in kids like this every year he won't be.

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

Ask Cal, Coach K, hell ask any coach if getting 3 out of every 10 you recruit is good recruiting. Baseball doesn't work here. Coach K i'm guessing doesn't talk to 10 kids a year. I'm fine with the recruiting so far but if you want to win titles it better pick up. I hope Archie is here for 30 years but if you can't start pulling in kids like this every year he won't be.

I respectfully disagree.  I'll bet K talks to more than 10 kids a year.  Cal too for that matter.  You can bet that Kansas, Kentucky, Duke & North Carolina don't sit down annually and agree to stay out of each other's way on certain recruits.  Every five-star recruit out there starts with at least half a dozen schools of interest.

I think you're way off on this one.

5 hours ago, Indykev said:

Was there a single 5 star on Virginia?  What about Purdue that came closer to beating Virginia than just about anybody. Or Texas tech?  

Five stars are nice to have but players fill holes in teams. If I have a round hole I’d rather have a 4 star round player than a 5 star square peg. 

A lot of tourney success comes from your most talented player/players getting hot at the right time. Look no further than Ty Jerome or  Carsen Edwards last year. Jerome was typically more consistent, and had better parts around him.  Carsen got white hot shooting from deep. Both players had times where they struggled from deep, and left their teams vulnerable. But when they are on, their teams have a fighting chance against anyone due to the rest of the team's strong foundation. 

A OAD example this makes me think of was Josh Jackson at Kansas. That guy was awful early in the year. The announcers kept talking about his potential,  but you could tell he was struggling to adjust to the college game.  But by tourney time, he gave KU a guy you could count on to take over games against elite opponents.  That KU team just lacked the solid foundation and experience,  along with a bit of luck,  needed to advance further in the tourney. 

20 minutes ago, cybergates said:

That's like saying winning games is meaningless without a championship

It’s more like saying scoring points is meaningless without winning the game. You have to score more points than the other team to win the game, but if you don’t, it’s only a loss.

To be clear, I think it’s a good thing Archie is continuing to recruit this kid, even if we don’t have much of a chance.  Like others have said, “you miss every shot you don’t take.”  All I’m saying is he doesn’t get any brownie points just for getting the kid on campus if it doesn’t lead to a commitment.

13 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would rather not see IU go after very many OAD players because of some of the baggage that can come from it.  Just look at the story coming out about Nike and Romeo and I would rather not have IU name involved in these kind of stories.

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would rather not see IU go after very many OAD players because of some of the baggage that can come from it.  Just look at the story coming out about Nike and Romeo and I would rather not have IU name involved in these kind of stories.

Not all 5* come with baggage and Love is a player that most definitely would improve IU's roster overnight. Yogi, Zeller, Bryant were all 5* who didn't come with any baggage and helped IU win 2 outright B10 titles. 

25 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Not all 5* come with baggage and Love is a player that most definitely would improve IU's roster overnight. Yogi, Zeller, Bryant were all 5* who didn't come with any baggage and helped IU win 2 outright B10 titles. 

Never said 5* I said one and done players and there is a difference

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hear what you're saying but there are plenty of non OAD's out there with baggage as well.   There's always someone looking to get paid no matter how many stars are by their name.

Go Hoosiers!!!

5 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I don't think Love is a guaranteed OAD. He very well could be but it's not a guarantee like Romeo or Zion.

I haven't dove into all the implications yet but the 5 star OAD kids in these next two recruiting classes 20 and 21 will maybe try and jump to the NBA early. With OAD likely ending in 2022 and allowing high school seniors to go straight to the NBA I think you'll see more borderline kids enter these next 2 years. Reason why is the first round is already so hard to get drafted in but now you'll be adding an additional 7-8 kids each year who will be taking up slots on potential in first round of NBA draft. 

To me it makes sense to try and go now (20/21 drafts) before the first round $ gets even more difficult to get. 

20 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

I don't think Love is a guaranteed OAD. He very well could be but it's not a guarantee like Romeo or Zion.

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I was commenting on the above post more than Love himself.

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I haven't dove into all the implications yet but the 5 star OAD kids in these next two recruiting classes 20 and 21 will maybe try and jump to the NBA early. With OAD likely ending in 2022 and allowing high school seniors to go straight to the NBA I think you'll see more borderline kids enter these next 2 years. Reason why is the first round is already so hard to get drafted in but now you'll be adding an additional 7-8 kids each year who will be taking up slots on potential in first round of NBA draft. 

To me it makes sense to try and go now (20/21 drafts) before the first round $ gets even more difficult to get. 

It is the 19 and 20 classes in the 20 and 21 draft. The 21 HS class may actually have more kids that would have been OAD stick around an extra year b/c they'll be competing with the 22 HS class in addition to their own if the OAD is ended. Agree with your points tho.

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

...and to be fair to Romeo, there's not a lot he can do to prevent Nike from offering him money.  It wouldn't surprise me at all that Zeller, Yogi, etc. were offered inducements of some sort.  Back in the day when the Zeller boys were showing much promise at Washington, it was rumored that a Barr-Reeve booster offered dad a new truck to change school districts.

...it's what Romeo and his family did in response to Nike's offer that interests me.  Assuming they turned it down, I put nothing on Romeo and his family for this story.

I’m disappointed in HSN that they aren’t getting behind the Love visit more. We have a great ball player and what people have said is a nice young man interested in our program and visiting our beautiful campus and basketball program and this is how we treat him. It may still be a long shot to land him but I hear so many complain about not landing elite talent and yet we have one coming and this is the welcome mat we sit out for him? I know in Indiana we support our own but many of our best players have come outside the state. This kid is special and can make a big impact right away. When we are discussing where the offense and playmaking is going to come from in the next pregame thread maybe we should remember we had a two way player that plays hard on both ends of the court and nobody wanted to show him any love when he announced a visit.

I agree! I can see why people are afraid to go all in with their love; we’ve been disappointed with several of these guys in the past. On the other hand, this kid is REAL good and would definitely raise the level of play on both ends from day  one. PGs are so important and he could even play off the ball and guard anyone he is asked to. Come to IU Caleb!!

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m disappointed in HSN that they aren’t getting behind the Love visit more. We have a great ball player and what people have said is a nice young man interested in our program and visiting our beautiful campus and basketball program and this is how we treat him. It may still be a long shot to land him but I hear so many complain about not landing elite talent and yet we have one coming and this is the welcome mat we sit out for him? I know in Indiana we support our own but many of our best players have come outside the state. This kid is special and can make a big impact right away. When we are discussing where the offense and playmaking is going to come from in the next pregame thread maybe we should remember we had a two way player that plays hard on both ends of the court and nobody wanted to show him any love when he announced a visit.

What should we do? 

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

What should we do? 

I’m not saying everyone has to be all in on the kid but I just thought people would be happy he has us in his final 5 and opting to spend one of his few OV to get to know our program better and possibly choose to try to help our team and a majority act like they don’t want the kid because he is so good he may be a OAD or that he might be the go to player on our team. Just some optimism would be nice or at least some positivity in welcoming the kid to Bloomington...you know...same treatment we give the Indiana local kids that make an OV. I just want Caleb to know...I would love to have you come to IU and help lead this team back to the tournament. Enjoy your visit and know you will have 15k plus every game cheering you on in the best arena for college basketball! B1G basketball avgs more fans than any other conference. Truly the big stage!

Archived