Ohio State troubles

rico

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think mile's link pretty much sums up what I think.  Personally, I feel that the only thing Urban is guilty of is bad judgement.  Tops, he gets time served and maybe a 2 game suspension.  But I have a feeling that his hiring practices will be no longer his to make.  And that scrutiny will be used by the Admin of the school to police any further future employees involved in the football program.  

43 minutes ago, rico said:

hmm.  Sounds kind of similar at to what happened to IU's BB program, a couple of decades back.  BOT wants to retain a winning coach, while the President does not agree with them.

mile's solution :  put the SOB on zero tolerance, and let the coach hang himself.      LOL 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

hmm.  Sounds kind of similar at to what happened to IU's BB program, a couple of decades back.  BOT wants to retain a winning coach, while the President does not agree with them.

mile's solution :  put the SOB on zero tolerance, and let the coach hang himself.      LOL 

Or fire the President?

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Or fire the President?

I am sure there were plenty of IU fans and students who felt that way, when Myles (hey, I just realized the similarity to my user name, LOL ) Brand fired Bobby Knight.  And I am sure that there are Buckeye fans who feel that is the solution to the "Meyer issue" as well.

Gonna be fun to see how this works out.  What with Bobby Knight/Myles Brand and Sampsongate..... I am just glad it's not IU. 

Question. What does it mean that Meyer is refusing to accept the suspension ?  Does it mean he intends to show up for practice or a game ?  And if he were to show up on the field for either..... does the President have the authority to have the campus police remove him ?  

I watched the presser. Can't believe the level of stupidity and arrogance and still not getting it at all. Some of the statements, how they were read/prepared...made all those guys look even worse. 

Didn't think it was possible for me to despise Ohio St even more. I was wrong. In a nutshell Urban and Ohio St said that he lied but didn't mean to lie. So many inconsistencies in who knew what, when....I mean maybe your typical Ohio St fan is a walking idiot but who do these guys think they were trying to pull one over on? Urban couldn't have looked worse and how Gene Smith? Running out of of reasons why he's still employed.

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

3 games is fair I think? I'm not exactly sure what Urban did wrong other than being morally wrong. He didnt break Title 9 correct?

I don't know, but I saw some reports that he "scrubbed" his cell phone.  I also saw where technically he violated his contract.

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I read the other day that he did report it? Idk. I wouldn't have fired him. I'd probably can Durkin though. 

There are some mitigating circumstances involved.  That fact that Zach Smith was Bruce's grandson and that Bruce was Urban's mentor weighs into this.  No, I wouldn't have fired him either.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I watched the presser. Can't believe the level of stupidity and arrogance and still not getting it at all. Some of the statements, how they were read/prepared...made all those guys look even worse. 

Didn't think it was possible for me to despise Ohio St even more. I was wrong. In a nutshell Urban and Ohio St said that he lied but didn't mean to lie. So many inconsistencies in who knew what, when....I mean maybe your typical Ohio St fan is a walking idiot but who do these guys think they were trying to pull one over on? Urban couldn't have looked worse and how Gene Smith? Running out of of reasons why he's still employed.

Just take a look at Twitter comments. Your typical Ohio State fan is a walking idiot and got one pulled over on them. 

I remember when Urban suspended Carlos Hyde for 3 games because he took a swipe at some girl in the club. Urban said he wanted Ohio St to have the harshest penalties of any school when it comes to this issue. Haha....I guess you hold players to a different standard eh Urb? If the word accountability ever comes out of Urban's mouth to his players...how can they honestly believe in him.

16 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I remember when Urban suspended Carlos Hyde for 3 games because he took a swipe at some girl in the club. Urban said he wanted Ohio St to have the harshest penalties of any school when it comes to this issue. Haha....I guess you hold players to a different standard eh Urb? If the word accountability ever comes out of Urban's mouth to his players...how can they honestly believe in him.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/bigten/2013/07/30/ohio-state-carlos-hyde-assault-case-closed/2600221/

I wish Urban the best in his marriage.  They sure must have communication problems.  My lovely wife and I discuss everything.  I feel bad that poor Shelly and Urban have such a disconnected life that they don't discuss even important things like Zach Smith being a recidivist wife beater.   DWS.   In reality, of course, Urban lied as evidenced by his scrubbing his phone.  But this is about 76-8 or whatever his record is.  

I think we talked in this or another thread. Have 2 guys I know who were former All Americans at Ohio St (one from the 80's and one from 15 years ago) that I play cards with. I texted them last night and asked thoughts. One sent back a photo of guy with his head in the sand....the other said Urban is hot. He still thinks he did nothing wrong (even with the evidence to the contrary).

They both also said...should be a really fun season. Media isn't going to let this one go. To which I said...should they? No response on that part yet.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think we talked in this or another thread. Have 2 guys I know who were former All Americans at Ohio St (one from the 80's and one from 15 years ago) that I play cards with. I texted them last night and asked thoughts. One sent back a photo of guy with his head in the sand....the other said Urban is hot. He still thinks he did nothing wrong (even with the evidence to the contrary).

They both also said...should be a really fun season. Media isn't going to let this one go. To which I said...should they? No response on that part yet.

Urban is clearly a trash human. I will be rooting against OSU even more than before as long as he is at the helm.

I don't know the man personally, obviously, but from afar he comes across as thugish.  Look at the criminals that came through his Florida program.  

I will say this.  He's a marked man.  He needs to be 100% clean going forward.

Different situation, and I like Archie, but I said this after the FBI stuff came out on basketball.  That was a huge gift to Archie.  Before he even started recruiting at IU he essentially is on notice to be clean as a whistle.  If Archie makes underhanded payments, then that's especially unforgivable because he's seen how that can go down.  The beauty is that he was warned by others' transgressions.

Here, Urban knew what Zach Smith was, didn't comprehend the gravity of it, and then lied to cover it up.  He got away with it, but going forward he needs to be clean as a whistle.

Nick Saban is no saint but he can distinguish when to jettison bad baggage.  He's given some sketchy kids a chance, but not like Urban.  

16 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Urban is clearly a trash human. I will be rooting against OSU even more than before as long as he is at the helm.

Being a Canes fan since age 9 we always knew the stuff Urban did up at Gainesville. Nothing new. Rest of the country is just finding out. 

Archived