2019 Colts, Bears, and other NFL talk

rico

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd take anyone that can read 2-3 progressions step up,  plant the feet and make a professional throw. We have to lead the league in 3 yard pass attempts. Most horizontal offense in the league.

What in heck was so special about Mitch coming out of college?

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Nothing. I watched him play very average Canes Defense twice when he was at Carolina. I remember watching a happy feet qb who routinely sailed normal throws. Nothing has changed since. 

So why did the Bears go after him?

On 10/21/2019 at 9:17 AM, rico said:

These are my observations about the Bears, take them for what they are worth.  I have yet to see exactly what their game plan is or what their identity is supposed to be.  Seems they have a stable of RBs but yet they seem perfectly happy to let Mitch throw short chucks all over the field.  Their inability to move the chains an even "consistent" basis is killing their vaunted D.  I realize the Saints are a very fine squad and are fortunate to have a high level back-up for Brees.  But dang, New Orleans came to town and flat beat the sh** out of the Bears.  The final score is indeed misleading.  Chicago got blown out.

All that being said the ole ball coach better fix this stuff or he ain't gonna be around long.  And neither will Mitch.

As far as Frank.  He has a very fine pedigree.  

Mitch is clearly not the answer at QB, their running game has suffered ever since they got rid of Jordan Howard.

Bears suck. That is all.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Because they went after Rudy Bukich, Virgil Carter, Jack Concannon, Bobby Douglass, Gary Huff, Bob Avellini, Mike Phipps, Vince Evans, Mike Tomczak, etc, etc, ect...

Didn't include McMahon because he had talent and mental toughness, but he was as fragile as bone china...

Scathing article on Trubisky

La Canfora pats himself a bit too much on the back, but he hits the nail on the head here...

"

The game, frankly, had no business being close; for the Bears to have actually find a way to lose it despite holding the ball for 38 minutes and limiting L.A. to 11 first downs and 231 total yards, while out-rushing the Chargers 162-36, is an indictment of just how bad their starting QB is.

Chicago, somehow, ran 12 plays in the first half inside the Chargers' 10 without scoring a touchdown. They ran nine plays alone inside the 5 and came away with nothing but 20-yard field goals. They were snuffed out on bubble screens and Trubisky threw errant scuds and threw left when the formation seemed to dictate going to his right.  

He got away with a shot to the back of the end zone that should have been picked. When he did take the rare deep shot, he got picked off easily and then, late in the game, overthrew his target by five yards. With a chance to put the game away, he fumbled. Never once did he seem at ease or in control. He looks like an elite athlete trying to play quarterback still and read the full field; he doesn't spray the ball around coolly or accurately. There is nothing in his game to connote progress."

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would never pick a QB that high that had like 13 starts in college.  That is the kind of player you take a flyer on in the 3rd or 4th round and not to trade up to the 2nd pick of the draft.

Russell Wilson and Tom Brady support this message...

1 hour ago, rico said:

Because our GM (Ryan Pace) is the type of guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. Watching Watson torch Bama (best defense in football that year) should have been enough to know to draft him. Not with us. We like pain. We embrace misery at Halas Hall.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am sure there are outliers that you can find but I would bet there are more that fail than succeed.  I am pretty sure Wilson started more games than that between NC. St and UW.

I know.  But to your original point...good QB's can be found in later rounds.  

3 minutes ago, rico said:

How about Dalton?

No thanks. Just never been a fan. Foles knows the system because Eagles, Chiefs,etc....all pretty much run same concepts or speak same language. That's who I would be going after but this is all just hot air. Pace's ego won't make him do this move. It be admitting he drafted Ryan Leaf when Peyton Manning is down in Houston. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No thanks. Just never been a fan. Foles knows the system because Eagles, Chiefs,etc....all pretty much run same concepts or speak same language. That's who I would be going after but this is all just hot air. Pace's ego won't make him do this move. It be admitting he drafted Ryan Leaf when Peyton Manning is down in Houston. 

Well Pace is gonna have to suck on this monumental mistake.  And then he needs to find another occupation.

Just now, rico said:

Well Pace is gonna have to suck on this monumental mistake.  And then he needs to find another occupation.

He's done some good things but being a GM requires you doing your job better than a 50% clip. Some guys should just be scout guys or whatever. Like Ryan Grigson....you can see when someone is in over his head.

I took this from twitter. These are Pace's first round choices. Not mention he sent Greg Olsen packing, the pick we traded up to get Mitch turned out to be a guy named Alvin Kamara. We drafted Adam Shaheen in the 2nd round. Traded Howard and his 100 yards per game.....not to mention we dumped Alshon Jeffery and gave his $14M to Mike Glennon. Could go on and on. 

2015, Kevin White: Mega Bust. 2016, Leonard Floyd: Bust 2017, Mitch Trubisky: Bust 2018, Roquan Smith: Um, what the heck is happening with him this year?

Not a Bears fan, so don't claim to know all their history. However, before the Colts moved to Indiana I was a Viking fan, they still are my second team, so have followed the division closely.

Bears have a conundrum here, imo. They have a defense good enough to win a championship, so from that standpoint, they don't have to be a high-flying offense. However, with the other teams in the division, all of who have the ability to put up a lot of points at any given time, they do need better than what they have. They also need a quarterback whose game translates to playing in the wind and cold that is Soldier Field, as well as playing in Lambeau every year. As good as Watson is, I don't think his game would hold up having to play in those conditions so often each year. McMahon was the perfect qb for the Bears. Talented enough to make plays, and a tough son of a gun who could handle the elements. Who is that guy now? The kid up in Buffalo would have been a guy I would have looked strongly at. Played college in the Dakotas, so used to the weather and has enough talent. Who coming out next year -maybe the kid from Oregon? Certainly has skills, and has played in the Pacific Northwest, where the weather at least gets rainy and windy. If I were the Bears GM, I would be extremely hesitant to draft another quarterback, at least in the high rounds, whose college career was spent either primarily in a dome or in the south.

41 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a Bears fan, so don't claim to know all their history. However, before the Colts moved to Indiana I was a Viking fan, they still are my second team, so have followed the division closely.

Bears have a conundrum here, imo. They have a defense good enough to win a championship, so from that standpoint, they don't have to be a high-flying offense. However, with the other teams in the division, all of who have the ability to put up a lot of points at any given time, they do need better than what they have. They also need a quarterback whose game translates to playing in the wind and cold that is Soldier Field, as well as playing in Lambeau every year. As good as Watson is, I don't think his game would hold up having to play in those conditions so often each year. McMahon was the perfect qb for the Bears. Talented enough to make plays, and a tough son of a gun who could handle the elements. Who is that guy now? The kid up in Buffalo would have been a guy I would have looked strongly at. Played college in the Dakotas, so used to the weather and has enough talent. Who coming out next year -maybe the kid from Oregon? Certainly has skills, and has played in the Pacific Northwest, where the weather at least gets rainy and windy. If I were the Bears GM, I would be extremely hesitant to draft another quarterback, at least in the high rounds, whose college career was spent either primarily in a dome or in the south.

I agree with pretty much all you're saying but the Packers, as much as it galls me to say, have prospered with a guy from Southern Mississippi and another from Cal (who the Bears passed on to take the late Cedric Benson).

For some reason the Bears just suck at evaluating QBs. Our last three QBs selected in the first round? Trubisky, Grossman, and Cade McNown.

I don't know who the Bears have evaluating college QBs all these years, but I have a sneaking suspicion his name is McCaskey.

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with pretty much all you're saying but the Packers, as much as it galls me to say, have prospered with a guy from Southern Mississippi and another from Cal (who the Bears passed on to take the late Cedric Benson).

For some reason the Bears just suck at evaluating QBs. Our last three QBs selected in the first round? Trubisky, Grossman, and Cade McNown.

I don't know who the Bears have evaluating college QBs all these years, but I have a sneaking suspicion his name is McCaskey.

A lot of teams have sucked at evaluating and drafting a QB.  The Bears just never seem to land that franchise guy.  Doesn't have to be a HoFer, just a dependable guy for around 10 years(more or less.)  A guy like Kenny Anderson, Joe Ferguson, Gary Danielson, Steve Bartkowski, etc.  All the guys I mentioned were fine QBs.  Why can't the Bears even stumble on someone of that ilk?  Mind boggling.

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would say that Favre was a more talented Jim McMahon. Definitely had the mental and physical toughness. Rodgers is probably in the top 10-15 quarterbacks of all time. Not sure how often those kinds of guys come around.

I would also say that playing in Soldier is more difficult than playing in Lambeau. The weather in Green Bay is mostly just cold. Yes, there are snowfalls, but really it's just cold. Soldier Field has all kinds of issues being so close in proximity to Lake Michigan. Cold, wind, rain, snow. Just think it's a tougher environment.

Archived