Alyssa Shepherd

rico

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, rico said:

....from my neck of the woods.  Words can not describe it.

https://www.wane.com/news/indiana/vehicle-hits-students-at-bus-stop-3-killed/1561866045

Yep. By all accounts the young lady will have to live with this tragedy for the rest of her life. So will the students. So will the bus driver. So will all of the small town...and to those parents of 3. Words can't describe what they'll be facing.

I just really hope it's not something like a young driver texting looking down and not having time to react. We see it every day. 

53 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If that info is true, is reckless homicide too light of a charge?

Only thing that can be charged. For those type of felonies....1-6 years on each is what I just read. Judge can do consecutive or concurrent. I actually shouldn't even by typing this. Long ways til that time. Just a horrible tragedy. 

This a heart wrenching read......

Don Hurd

As a journalist I was taught at Ball State to be objective and unbiased in my reporting and allow my readers come to their own conclusions about a story. However, once in a great while a story will hit directly to your heart as a human being. This morning that story not only hit my heart but also ripped it out of my chest.

Early Tuesday morning I learned of the tragic deaths and injury four Mentone Elementary students as they boarded their bus just outside Rochester, IN. These children attended the same elementary I attended years ago. On Monday, these students roamed the same halls I did when I was a student there. Now, three of them are gone. They will never grace those hallways again.

I listened intently throughout the morning as more details became available about the accident. I watched live video from Chicago and Indianapolis television helicopters. I knew exactly the spot where this situation was unfolding. In fact, I travel by the precise spot each time I visit my Father. Plus, it was only a few yards from my childhood friend’s house where we would play growing up. I knew the lay of the land and if there were any blind spots on the roadway. There were not any obstructions blocking anyone’s view on the highway.

Being a reporter for forty years my news sense was on high alert for any facts about the accident. As a trickle of information came available throughout the entire day a voice inside me keep telling me to go there. I finally had to go not as newsperson but as a human being who was struggling with how and why did this happened to these innocent souls.

As I arrived at the site some news crews were still there wrapping up their coverage for that evening’s newscast. I saw the ISP markings on the road from their investigation of the crash site. As I stood by the side of the road I saw the grim reminders that three precious children were lying on that cold asphalt covered with a white sheet just a few hours before. I’ve covered many tragedies in my day but this genuinely brought tears to my eyes. I said a prayer for the children, the families and those involved with this senseless loss.

Then I got mad.

Tuesday night, Xzavier, Mason and Alivia’s chairs were empty around their family dinner table. Xzavier, Mason and Alivia’s school desks will be empty in their classrooms. Xzavier, Mason and Alivia won’t be trick or treating with their friends. Xzavier, Mason and Aliva won’t be there Christmas morning with wide eyes anxious to see what Santa brought them. Xzavier, Mason and Alivia are tragically gone forever.

Why?

Well, according to the 24 year old driving the truck she thought it was a tractor instead of a school bus. Really? That’s the best excuse you can come up with after killing three innocent children who only wanted to board their bus. 
Even though the bus red lights were blinking and the stop sign was fully extended that’s the best you come up with. I’ve never seen a tractor equipped with these features. A tractor? Not buying it.

You spent the entire day working at a church and that’s still the best excuse you can come up with before they came and arrested you. You are a pretentious, self-absorbed person and you ran over and killed Xzavier, Mason and Alivia and injured Maverik because of your inexcusable driving actions.

What could have been so damn important that you didn’t see a school bus with lights on and the stop arm out? Were you texting? Talking on the phone? There is no excuse whatsoever for this horrific tragedy to happen. You took the lives of three precious children and you have forever changed the lives of several families with your asinine actions.

Like I mentioned earlier, a voice kept telling me to go to the accident site. I wanted to really believe that you tried to avoid hitting Xzavier, Mason, Alivia and Maverik. I would have written here that you did try. YOU DID NOT. You didn’t even swerve your truck. You drove right through the children. Now you have to live a tortured life knowing what you did to these children. Xzavier, Mason, Alivia and Maverik didn’t have a chance because of you. They are now in God’s hands.

I wonder what the children’s last words were to their parents, their friends, their teachers or their pets. I’m sure each word will be forever remembered from these precious little angels. I feel confident they will now be looking over their families and protecting them from above.

I don’t know but maybe the voice I heard all day long was from a higher power but I’m glad I listened. The lesson I learned today was to never be embarrassed or think it’s weak to tell those you love how much they mean to you every day. Each day is a blessing and a gift. We need to treasure each one.

Xzavier, Mason and Alivia’s lives were so short here on Earth but I hope the lessons we learn from their tragic passing will be their gift to us all.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

This a heart wrenching read......

Don Hurd

As a journalist I was taught at Ball State to be objective and unbiased in my reporting and allow my readers come to their own conclusions about a story. However, once in a great while a story will hit directly to your heart as a human being. This morning that story not only hit my heart but also ripped it out of my chest.

Early Tuesday morning I learned of the tragic deaths and injury four Mentone Elementary students as they boarded their bus just outside Rochester, IN. These children attended the same elementary I attended years ago. On Monday, these students roamed the same halls I did when I was a student there. Now, three of them are gone. They will never grace those hallways again.

I listened intently throughout the morning as more details became available about the accident. I watched live video from Chicago and Indianapolis television helicopters. I knew exactly the spot where this situation was unfolding. In fact, I travel by the precise spot each time I visit my Father. Plus, it was only a few yards from my childhood friend’s house where we would play growing up. I knew the lay of the land and if there were any blind spots on the roadway. There were not any obstructions blocking anyone’s view on the highway.

Being a reporter for forty years my news sense was on high alert for any facts about the accident. As a trickle of information came available throughout the entire day a voice inside me keep telling me to go there. I finally had to go not as newsperson but as a human being who was struggling with how and why did this happened to these innocent souls.

As I arrived at the site some news crews were still there wrapping up their coverage for that evening’s newscast. I saw the ISP markings on the road from their investigation of the crash site. As I stood by the side of the road I saw the grim reminders that three precious children were lying on that cold asphalt covered with a white sheet just a few hours before. I’ve covered many tragedies in my day but this genuinely brought tears to my eyes. I said a prayer for the children, the families and those involved with this senseless loss.

Then I got mad.

Tuesday night, Xzavier, Mason and Alivia’s chairs were empty around their family dinner table. Xzavier, Mason and Alivia’s school desks will be empty in their classrooms. Xzavier, Mason and Alivia won’t be trick or treating with their friends. Xzavier, Mason and Aliva won’t be there Christmas morning with wide eyes anxious to see what Santa brought them. Xzavier, Mason and Alivia are tragically gone forever.

Why?

Well, according to the 24 year old driving the truck she thought it was a tractor instead of a school bus. Really? That’s the best excuse you can come up with after killing three innocent children who only wanted to board their bus. 
Even though the bus red lights were blinking and the stop sign was fully extended that’s the best you come up with. I’ve never seen a tractor equipped with these features. A tractor? Not buying it.

You spent the entire day working at a church and that’s still the best excuse you can come up with before they came and arrested you. You are a pretentious, self-absorbed person and you ran over and killed Xzavier, Mason and Alivia and injured Maverik because of your inexcusable driving actions.

What could have been so damn important that you didn’t see a school bus with lights on and the stop arm out? Were you texting? Talking on the phone? There is no excuse whatsoever for this horrific tragedy to happen. You took the lives of three precious children and you have forever changed the lives of several families with your asinine actions.

Like I mentioned earlier, a voice kept telling me to go to the accident site. I wanted to really believe that you tried to avoid hitting Xzavier, Mason, Alivia and Maverik. I would have written here that you did try. YOU DID NOT. You didn’t even swerve your truck. You drove right through the children. Now you have to live a tortured life knowing what you did to these children. Xzavier, Mason, Alivia and Maverik didn’t have a chance because of you. They are now in God’s hands.

I wonder what the children’s last words were to their parents, their friends, their teachers or their pets. I’m sure each word will be forever remembered from these precious little angels. I feel confident they will now be looking over their families and protecting them from above.

I don’t know but maybe the voice I heard all day long was from a higher power but I’m glad I listened. The lesson I learned today was to never be embarrassed or think it’s weak to tell those you love how much they mean to you every day. Each day is a blessing and a gift. We need to treasure each one.

Xzavier, Mason and Alivia’s lives were so short here on Earth but I hope the lessons we learn from their tragic passing will be their gift to us all.

I cant even begin to imagine 

Parents hold those kids a little tighter a little longer and always maje the time to say i love you. Life changes in the blink of an eye

This story is just making me angry. Repeated requests from the folks who live in the mobile home park to change how the kids board the bus have fallen on deaf ears. Now the day after this senseless tragedy they change things.

I know some people despise the legal profession but sometimes the only way to change things so people won't have to experience tragedies is to hit the offenders where it hurts. Their pocketbook. I hope the school system has hefty insurance. 3 kids dead, 1 who might not walk again....repeated requests to change a bus stop. Plenty of dumb to go around in this school system. I hope all of them have to answer why they didn't change the bus stop procedures.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Doesn't make sense does it?

No it doesn't. It never does. I'd like to see a huge crackdown by the police for such behavior. I went through a "seat belt enforcement zone" this week. Why can't police be stationed near railroad crossings and in front of school buses to stop this type of stuff. I see terrible, really terrible driving on a regular basis. I know it will not be enough but maybe it can help a little. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It doesn't. For someone who advertised her life on social media as someone who surrounds herself with kids each and every day.....to plow through a stopped bus zone just doesn't make any sense. 

Based on the info available it seems to me there is a possibility it could have been intentional.  Didnt see it was a school bus.  Made no effort to stop.  I just dont buy it.  

The fact the adminstrators didnt alter the stop after multiple requests is inexcusable.  

Archived