Archie's Postgame is Up (YouTube)

IUFLA

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mentions Gafford's dominance and the 18 TOs. No questions about the final IU offensive sequence.

Why would there be?  I see some people mentioning that they would have called the timeout after the free throw, but I don’t think it really matters.  It’s not like the NBA where the ball gets advanced.  After the free throw you let the defense get set.  Before the free throw, you have a better chance catching them off guard and in a hurry to defend.. just my opinion.

1 minute ago, StLHoosier said:

Why would there be?  I see some people mentioning that they would have called the timeout after the free throw, but I don’t think it really matters.  It’s not like the NBA where the ball gets advanced.  After the free throw you let the defense get set.  Before the free throw, you have a better chance catching them off guard and in a hurry to defend.. just my opinion.

I was talking more about the 17 seconds when we had the ball and Phinisee put up a shot with 8 seconds left. Thought there would be a couple of questions about that.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

Ahh, yeah.  That’s just a freshman mistake.

And a ‘mistake’ that resulted in two layup attempts that would have won the game. Phinisee absolutely went to early there, but that was a good learning experience for him now, and again if he or Davis make layups there then game over. I’d understand people being upset if it was a 17-foot jumper with 7 seconds left or something, but it was a layup that just barely rimmed out and then a put back that should have been made. 

2 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

It definitely matters. With 2.5 seconds left, off a rebound, you have time to turn, take a dribble (maybe 2, max) and shoot (at best) a 3/4 court length shot.

With a time out, you can pass it 1/4 of the court to a guy cutting up court, 2 dribbles, shot inside the half court line. There are numerous plays you can draw up to get a legitimate look at a shot that's somewhat makable. 

That was a coaching error..I'm sure they realize it and won't do it again.

7 hours ago, cohete15 said:

It definitely matters. With 2.5 seconds left, off a rebound, you have time to turn, take a dribble (maybe 2, max) and shoot (at best) a 3/4 court length shot.

With a time out, you can pass it 1/4 of the court to a guy cutting up court, 2 dribbles, shot inside the half court line. There are numerous plays you can draw up to get a legitimate look at a shot that's somewhat makable. 

That was a coaching error..I'm sure they realize it and won't do it again.

With the way they were pressing and zoning, I don’t think you get that pass you’re looking for.  I’m just saying that it’s not as black and white as some make it out to be.  Just differences of opinion.

5 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

With the way they were pressing and zoning, I don’t think you get that pass you’re looking for.  I’m just saying that it’s not as black and white as some make it out to be.  Just differences of opinion.

You’re right, you might not get that look. But the right call is to save the timeout, 100/100 times, because if you don’t, then 100/100 times you won’t get the look you want with that amount of time on the clock. The reason the shot was purposely missed is because of the time on the clock.

Watching the game, after the first free throw with 2.5 seconds left. It looked like Archie was communicating to the official on the court that he wanted a timeout after the second free throw. He then turned around and questioned that decision with someone on his coaching staff and changed his mind to calling the timeout after the first shot. Did anyone else notice that?

It's either here nor there and water under the bridge, but since this is a topic of conversation it is something that I picked up on. The camera was only on Archie at the time.

17 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Watching the game, after the first free throw with 2.5 seconds left. It looked like Archie was communicating to the official on the court that he wanted a timeout after the second free throw. He then turned around and questioned that decision with someone on his coaching staff and changed his mind to calling the timeout after the first shot. Did anyone else notice that?

It's either here nor there and water under the bridge, but since this is a topic of conversation it is something that I picked up on. The camera was only on Archie at the time.

Yep. I noticed that also

12 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

yep.  Don't think it cost the game either way.  I'm kinda surprised no one is mentioning the uninspiring defense.  That did not look anything near top 25 to me.  Granted DG and McBob make up a stiffling duo but our front court made the Gafford kid look like Anthony Davis.  Maybe 10-15 minutes of Race and Forrester help in that regard, and obviously Morgan getting the quick fouls hurt big time and he finished the game with 4, so he couldn't be as aggressive as he would like.  Overall, great learning experience, great environment.  Arkansas has some fine young talent in the front court too.  

6 hours ago, StLHoosier said:

Ask Duke and Valp what you can do from an out of bounce play to go full court for a win.  To me we should of waited to call a timeout because after a miss with 2.3 seconds you have no shot at a good shot.

28 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

You’re right, you might not get that look. But the right call is to save the timeout, 100/100 times, because if you don’t, then 100/100 times you won’t get the look you want with that amount of time on the clock. The reason the shot was purposely missed is because of the time on the clock.

I don't think the coaching staff was dumb.  I saw Archie looking at the bench asking if it was OK to call a TO.  My guess is whoever was keeping track on the bench miscounted in the heat of the momenta and thought they still had two.  It's a mistake, but I don't think it's a mistake borne out of ignorance that will be repeated.

38 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

Of course I saw this after I posted.  I think someone on the bench just miscounted how many TO's they had left in the heat of the moment.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I wanted us to call time out once we got the ball to half court. I know they say the defense gets to set up but it wasn't like Arkansas was doing anything special on defense and they wouldn't been pressing since it was half court. Reason being we have like 2 freshman and a sophomore with limited experience in the game. Also I probably would have brought Fitz in to stretch the defense perhaps in the corner etc. I really prefer to have the ball in the hands of Romeo and either clear out and let him go one on one with 5 seconds left or run some screen and roll with him and Morgan....either way young guys need direction. That said we got a good look...two good looks we had our chance. I also would have saved that timeout until after the second free throw. Running a play to possibly get the ball down court more for a better shot had to be much better than grabbing a rebound going towards the opposite basket then flinging it full court. Shouldn't have been in that position...we are a better team then them...but we just have to grow and learn from this.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't think the coaching staff was dumb.  I saw Archie looking at the bench asking if it was OK to call a TO.  My guess is whoever was keeping track on the bench miscounted in the heat of the momenta and thought they still had two.  It's a mistake, but I don't think it's a mistake borne out of ignorance that will be repeated.

I don’t think they’re dumb either. Someone just made a mistake. I’m just saying there’s only one way to correctly manage that scenario, and we did it wrong. 

I’m sure Archie realized before the guys even got to the huddle. It’s ok, doesn’t make me think any different about our coach. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Ask Duke and Valp what you can do from an out of bounce play to go full court for a win.  To me we should of waited to call a timeout because after a miss with 2.3 seconds you have no shot at a good shot.

That's the one I run when I'm low on dryer sheets...🙂

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I knew these two would get cherry picked, but for every one of those, you have WAY more plays that get caught by the other team or end up with the same look we had.  In your scenario, I put Gafford on the player taking it out of bounds which leaves you with passing it underneath anyways.  I just think you have a chance of catching them off guard as much as you can with preparing before the shot in that scenario. Either way it’s not a high percentage look.  

Edit:  I’m mostly just playing devils advocate, as I can see both sides of it.

Archived