Indiana vs UC Davis Pre-Game Thread

rbkl

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that we seem to have righted the ship in terms of free throw shooting (fingers crossed).  I believe we need to work on our passing skills.  Last game was horrendous in terms of passing.  I watch Gonzaga, take out Duke, and the thing that stood out for me was how precise the Zag's passing was.  No question in my mind that was one of the ingredients Gonzaga utilized in their W over Duke.  IU needs to do the same. 

I agree our passing the last couple games hasn’t been the best! Not only are some of the passes not sharp, but the receiver isn’t coming to the ball when the defender is close to them. I am surprised a little that as depleted as out bench is right now that we haven’t seen more of Clifton Moore. 

do we know definitively if Durham or Langford are in or out?  any chance of concussion for either?  would hope we could beat UC Davis without both of them, but that's a pretty tough task with that many guys out no matter who you play.  obviously you'd like to hold anyone who is not 100% out if possible to be ready for Tues.  that just may not be possible.  

“Romeo clearly got popped in the nose,” Miller said. “I don't have any indication if his nose is broken or anything. But (with) the blood and trying to get it to stop, he wasn't able to finish the game the last four minutes. So that would make seven scholarship players not available due to injury.”

Generally you don't wear a mask unless the nose was broken. Suppose could wear one as a precautionary measure, but this doesn't sound like it. 

Also Durham tried to play through it briefly against UT Arlington. He may be out this game, but wouldn't assume it. Haven't heard anything further on Green, it's a lingering deep thigh bruise. I could see him returning tomorrow night or against Duke. 

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

is Al definitely okay for tonight?

With yesterday holiday...no update until I would say about 3-4 pm this afternoon. Based on comments I'm 50/50 at the very best for Al and Romeo. We know Hunter, Green, Race, Zach and Davis are out. Archie did say if we have to play 5 guys for 40 minutes. So be it. 

We list out the latest with the injured.  It's becoming more like a weekly NFL report than a college basketball team.  Also a few thought on UC Davis, including a quote from head coach and Illinois native Jim Les on Indiana

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/your-indiana-hurtin-hoosiers-return-to-action-on-friday-night-vs-uc-davis/

A few things I thought were interesting re UC Davis...

As a team, they shoot 35% from the field and 25% from 3 pt range. 71% free throws. And that's against less than steller competition.

They played UT Arlington 2 days before we did and lost by 9

They have 1 kid that averages double figures in scoring (TJ Shorts) and he only scores 11 ppg. 

Despite Juwan saying that if 5 players have to play all 40 minutes they will, if the injuries hold, I think we see Moore, Forrester, and possibly Jaeger. If they can't compete adequetely against this team, who can they compete against?

1 minute ago, ArchieBall13 said:

If Moore and Forrester don't get in this game, I'm not sure there's a future for either one of em here. Will be interesting to see. Honestly don't think they've looked too bad in the minutes they've gotten, consider me a bit confused and curious to see how they are used tonight.

Agree. If they don't play in this one. My hunch is with end of semester coming soon there might be a transfer.

24 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

If Moore and Forrester don't get in this game, I'm not sure there's a future for either one of em here. Will be interesting to see. Honestly don't think they've looked too bad in the minutes they've gotten, consider me a bit confused and curious to see how they are used tonight.

I am puzzled myself about not using them in the UTA game.  

Archived