Dawson Garcia Commits to Marquette

CauseThatsMyDJ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We whiffed on our top 2 targets for 2020.  Morton and Garcia.  Not good and the 2021 class will likely now decide Archie's fate.  

Whiffed? Haha...ok. We backed off Morton so hard the last 45 days so we could land 2 other in state 4 star good kids in Leal and Galloway. No...the 2021 class isn't going to seal Archie's fate. You must be a Bears fan like myself....better at the complaint department. 

Archie and staff did great to get into this recruitment they way they did.  They were late to the party and put on a full court press that impressed but ultimately didn’t change Dawson’s mind.  Far from a whiff.  Lander would be a whiff if we don’t land him due to the time invested in him.

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Archie and staff did great to get into this recruitment they way they did.  They were late to the party and put on a full court press that impressed but ultimately didn’t change Dawson’s mind.  Far from a whiff.  Lander would be a whiff if we don’t land him due to the time invested in him.

What did your guy on the plane say changed from IU one min. to MU the next/

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Whiffed? Haha...ok. We backed off Morton so hard the last 45 days so we could land 2 other in state 4 star good kids in Leal and Galloway. No...the 2021 class isn't going to seal Archie's fate. You must be a Bears fan like myself....better at the complaint department. 

We didn't back off Morton.  That just sounds ridiculous.  That's what the UK fans say whenever they lose a 5 star.  It's pathetic.

As far Archie I like him as a person and he's a very good coach.  I've always thought he was a good coach and despite what some say he did pretty well in year 1 IMO with Crean's crap which wasn't much.  Last year was a disaster but it wasn't his fault.  I'm very confident he can coach well enough to get us where we want to go it's the recruiting part that I've always had doubts on.  Hopefully we win enough this season and next that it will take care of itself.

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

What did your guy on the plane say changed from IU one min. to MU the next/

Comments like this is a reason I feel like the board is changing. Been sensing it for the last couple months. Things change in recruitment. I don't see any benefit for asking or saying something like this. I'm probably wrong. 

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Comments like this is a reason I feel like the board is changing. Been sensing it for the last couple months. Things change in recruitment. I don't see any benefit for asking or saying something like this. I'm probably wrong. 

No biggie, I’m use to it from him and a few others. They don’t understand recruiting like most do. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Scott is also correct. Galloway and Leal are both better than Morton

Galloway is an effing DOG!!!!!!! I mean you can see that right away. Football scouting term to be sure, but good grief that kid.....wow. Cannot wait to see him in Bloomington. I think he's going to go down as one of IU's greats. 

Ok let's move this thread. Kid would have been a great cherry on top of our class. We got three great kids and may add more in the spring I guess. Good luck to the kid.

Lessons learned this cycle:

Never get excited just because a kid says glowing things after a visit.

We have to claw and scratch our way back to the upper part of the mountain again. And then sustain it.

Just win baby.

15 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

He thanked Jesus his Lord and savior, big crucifix necklace...all signs point toward a Jesuit conspiracy. I just sayin'.

15 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I know that's tongue on cheek. But that's the intangible that Marquette offered that none of the others did.

In my own personal opinion,  If he really valued a religious education that bad...good for him i guess. If that was the deciding factor on what school to play basketball for, I personally dont feel too bad about not landing this kid.

For many of the same reasons that we want our in state kids to choose IU, are the very things that made Marquette the choice for him.

We bash our in state kids for considering UL or UK  Michigan etc instead of IU and now some of our fans bash this very very good young man for choosing his in state school. I wish Dawson and his family the very best. Would have loved to have him a Hoosier but cant bring myself to even think anything negative about this young man. Marquette got a good one, but we have 3 really good ones ourself.  

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

For many of the same reasons that we want our in state kids to choose IU, are the very things that made Marquette the choice for him.

We bash our in state kids for considering UL or UK  Michigan etc instead of IU and now some of our fans bash this very very good young man for choosing his in state school. I wish Dawson and his family the very best. Would have loved to have him a Hoosier but cant bring myself to even think anything negative about this young man. Marquette got a good one, but we have 3 really good ones ourself.  

He stayed in his region but not in his state.

1 hour ago, Tiz10 said:

In my own personal opinion,  If he really valued a religious education that bad...good for him i guess. If that was the deciding factor on what school to play basketball for, I personally dont feel too bad about not landing this kid.

Your opinion aside, this may have been a major factor in his decision.

I grew up in a Catholic household, and was being steered by my parents to Catholic universities. Notre Dame was too expensive, Villanova in a too big of city, and St. Joe Rennsalear in too small a town. Ended up in Bloomington, and it was the right call for me.

As well, many Hispanic families value their faith and it plays a huge part in their daily lives. Don't know the Garcia situation, but if he is not afraid to express his faith by what he wears, I would at least consider that going to a Catholic university held importance to him.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Yes.  I was just thinking that we've lost players like DG and DG (Garcia & Garland, lol) at least partly because of geography.  One problem we've also encountered is guys like Lander and Brooks are in-state kids, but we really don't have a geographical advantage over a school like UL, UK.

In hindsight, the only criticism I have is that we didn't help ourselves by getting in late on Garcia, yet wasted (IMO) early time on Hurt.  Again, IMO, Hurt would not benefit this program like Garcia would - he's focused on being a one and done and clearly was going to prefer playing at one of the current top 5 programs.  If we are trying to build and get older, I'll take the fringe 5 star that might be here 2 or 3 years over the top 5 player who is certain to bolt after one year...every time.

34 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yes.  I was just thinking that we've lost players like DG and DG (Garcia & Garland, lol) at least partly because of geography.  One problem we've also encountered is guys like Lander and Brooks are in-state kids, but we really don't have a geographical advantage over a school like UL, UK.

In hindsight, the only criticism I have is that we didn't help ourselves by getting in late on Garcia, yet wasted (IMO) early time on Hurt.  Again, IMO, Hurt would not benefit this program like Garcia would - he's focused on being a one and done and clearly was going to prefer playing at one of the current top 5 programs.  If we are trying to build and get older, I'll take the fringe 5 star that might be here 2 or 3 years over the top 5 player who is certain to bolt after one year...every time.

As far as getting in late, it was mentioned on another site that Wojo was recruiting Garcia before Archie took the IU job.

Archived