Purdue whipping

Payday

It is said there is no such thing as bad publicity. However, the cardinal rule in college football for the last hundred years has been that the one thing you can not do is get humiliated in a bowl game. It theoretically undoes any good you accumulated during the season because there is such a big viewing audience. I believe they could have lost by a hundred yesterday if the team had not let up. The coach is dynamic and players like him, but can they overcome this kind of a beat down? I guess the change of early signing day helps some and negates some of the negative impact, but any player who watched that game should be having real concerns about whether they can sustain pushing forward and improving. Bowl games are way too high profile to lay an egg in and think there will be no blowback. Over the years I have often thought that is why many of these games start out very vanilla and they are getting a pulse for each other, nobody wants a blowout.

So, if a team limps into a bowl game and then gets humiliated like Purdue, when it comes to recruiting would they have been better off not being in a bowl?

Depends a lot, imo, to what is returning for the next season. If a team is losing a lot of starters, the extra 15 days of practice can be invaluable. As well, when it’s inevitable that a team is getting blown out, getting young guys some playing experience can help coaches evaluate them in situations other than practice.

All that being said, specifically in regards to Purdue, I hope that game sets them back 20 years. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Depends a lot, imo, to what is returning for the next season. If a team is losing a lot of starters, the extra 15 days of practice can be invaluable. As well, when it’s inevitable that a team is getting blown out, getting young guys some playing experience can help coaches evaluate them in situations other than practice.

All that being said, specifically in regards to Purdue, I hope that game sets them back 20 years. 

👍🤣

2 hours ago, Payday said:

It is said there is no such thing as bad publicity. However, the cardinal rule in college football for the last hundred years has been that the one thing you can not do is get humiliated in a bowl game. It theoretically undoes any good you accumulated during the season because there is such a big viewing audience. I believe they could have lost by a hundred yesterday if the team had not let up. The coach is dynamic and players like him, but can they overcome this kind of a beat down? I guess the change of early signing day helps some and negates some of the negative impact, but any player who watched that game should be having real concerns about whether they can sustain pushing forward and improving. Bowl games are way too high profile to lay an egg in and think there will be no blowback. Over the years I have often thought that is why many of these games start out very vanilla and they are getting a pulse for each other, nobody wants a blowout.

So, if a team limps into a bowl game and then gets humiliated like Purdue, when it comes to recruiting would they have been better off not being in a bowl?

I agree with almost all of this, especially  as it relates to Purdue.  The one exception to me is with a senior heavy team where many choose to sit out of the bowl and wait for the draft.  That changes a lot in my opinion.

1 hour ago, BeerBQ said:

Don't they lose Blough? I don't think I noticed another QB play Friday. I know they expect to have some really good WRs next year, but could QB be a concern?

They do, and it's an understatement to say that qb is a big question mark for them next year.  Blough is statistically one of the better quarterbacks to play for Purdue.  

If I were a wide receiver, I'd be seriously concerned about that, particularly since Purdue looked really bad earlier in the season before they decided to go with Blough and their offense so far is pretty much "big play or bust."

4 hours ago, Payday said:

I think you’re putting way too much stock into one game. I think David Bell picking Purdue on national tv will be a much bigger deal just like I’d mention that Purdue beating Arizona in the bowl game last year didn’t get as much publicity as Rondale picking Purdue at the army all-american game. Purdue won a bowl game last year and started the year 0-3 and overcame that. Getting blown out in a bowl game isn’t a huge deal.

If anything, it’s a negative in the short term but I’m sure recruits realize that it’s still a work in progress since Brohm doesn’t even have an entire roster of his recruits yet. 

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

They do, and it's an understatement to say that qb is a big question mark for them next year.  Blough is statistically one of the better quarterbacks to play for Purdue.  

If I were a wide receiver, I'd be seriously concerned about that, particularly since Purdue looked really bad earlier in the season before they decided to go with Blough and their offense so far is pretty much "big play or bust."

Sindelar was pretty good on a torn ACL last year and I’m guessing he can be good again. Don’t think it’s a serious concern at all. 

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sindelar was pretty good on a torn ACL last year and I’m guessing he can be good again. Don’t think it’s a serious concern at all. 

I think we both know that it's a bigger concern than you're letting on.  A good number of your own fans were wondering if you'd even win a game before Blough turned it on and saved your season.  Big plays were about the ONLY offense Purdue had this year.

I'm not saying you won't have a decent quarterback next year, but without Blough THIS year, Purdue would not have made a bowl, and they may have struggled to win more than a few games.

The fact that Sindelar struggled this year and you have an unproven young qb further down the depth chart pretty much screams that it's at least a question mark if not a serious concern.  It doesn't matter how good your wide receivers are if your quarterback can't get them the ball. 

It's not a bold prediction to say that Purdue may take a step back on offense next year depending on whether they can adequately replace Blough.  The defense should be better next year, though.

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think you’re putting way too much stock into one game. I think David Bell picking Purdue on national tv will be a much bigger deal just like I’d mention that Purdue beating Arizona in the bowl game last year didn’t get as much publicity as Rondale picking Purdue at the army all-american game. Purdue won a bowl game last year and started the year 0-3 and overcame that. Getting blown out in a bowl game isn’t a huge deal.

If anything, it’s a negative in the short term but I’m sure recruits realize that it’s still a work in progress since Brohm doesn’t even have an entire roster of his recruits yet. 

Nobody outside of Purdue cared about Moore picking Purdue on "national tv."  98% of college football fans couldn't have told you about Moore's commitment last January, but they could have told you who won Purdue's bowl game.  Same thing with Bell this year.

I don't think this bowl beat down will have any long term effects, but there's no difference long term between a recruit announcing at their high school or announcing at an All American game.

3 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I think we both know that it's a bigger concern than you're letting on.  A good number of your own fans were wondering if you'd even win a game before Blough turned it on and saved your season.  Big plays were about the ONLY offense Purdue had this year.

I'm not saying you won't have a decent quarterback next year, but without Blough THIS year, Purdue would not have made a bowl, and they may have struggled to win more than a few games.

The fact that Sindelar struggled this year and you have an unproven young qb further down the depth chart pretty much screams that it's at least a question mark if not a serious concern.  It doesn't matter how good your wide receivers are if your quarterback can't get them the ball. 

It's not a bold prediction to say that Purdue may take a step back on offense next year depending on whether they can adequately replace Blough.  The defense should be better next year, though.

And their offensive line is going to be a lot worse.

And they just talked trash about how bad Purdue was during the Bama/Oklahoma game.  But yes, more people know that Bell is picking Purdue than the people who know Purdue got curb stomped 🙄

55 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Going 6-6 this year overcame the 0-3 start?

48 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

10%, based on what? Somebody on the Internet posting that after the fact?

I saw that posted somewhere myself.  Their remaining schedule was the outlier, based on how the B1G was looking at the time.  Of coarse as somebody mentioned, the Ohio St. game is what got them to a bowl.

2 hours ago, Andy06 said:

I think QB isn't necessarily a massive concern for PU next year,  but at best an unknown.   I would think oline would be the key.

What do you lose and have coming back on the oline Boiler?

Definitely some questions on the o-line for sure. We lose Kirk Barron at center who started for 3 years I think. Will be tough to replace but they have a young guy they like but I expect there will be some growing pains there. Also lose LG Dennis Edwards who was a grad transfer from WKU. Wouldn’t surprise me if they try to land a grad transfer on the OL. The last loss is at RG in Shane Evans who was another transfer. So we lose the Center and both guard positions. Both starting tackles will return. O-line has had several transfers/5th year guys the last 2 years because of how bad the depth was. 

30 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Definitely some questions on the o-line for sure. We lose Kirk Barron at center who started for 3 years I think. Will be tough to replace but they have a young guy they like but I expect there will be some growing pains there. Also lose LG Dennis Edwards who was a grad transfer from WKU. Wouldn’t surprise me if they try to land a grad transfer on the OL. The last loss is at RG in Shane Evans who was another transfer. So we lose the Center and both guard positions. Both starting tackles will return. O-line has had several transfers/5th year guys the last 2 years because of how bad the depth was. 

Just looking at your classes on paper for the last 2 years, I'm surprised Brohm hasn't hit the OL harder. I would have expected some higher rated guys coming in at those spots. Maybe the guys coming in will do well, but I think that could be a weak spot.

Do you have room to add a grad transfer?

18 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Just looking at your classes on paper for the last 2 years, I'm surprised Brohm hasn't hit the OL harder. I would have expected some higher rated guys coming in at those spots. Maybe the guys coming in will do well, but I think that could be a weak spot.

Do you have room to add a grad transfer?

Def could be. I like some of the younger guys from last class and this one but OL usually take a few years until they’re ready to step in and contribute. 

As far as a grad transfer, that’s a good question. I know things are tight right now but I’m expecting there could be some attrition. We lost a starting DT before the bowl game to grades and he’s not even with the program anymore so that gives us a spot for a one-year guy as he was going to be a senior. Could be some other academic casualties or just guys that can’t crack the depth chart. Will be interesting to see what happens. I know Purdue is interested in Nick Holt’s son (LB at WKU) as a grad transfer so hopefully they can make room. 

Archived