Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

4 minutes ago, Kodos said:

Here's how I see it playing out tonight.

Keoin is standing in front of the podium, with an Indiana hat and a Kentucky hat sitting before him.

"After a lot of thought, I have chosen..." He reaches toward the hats. A hush comes over the room...

He picks it up the UK hat, and drops it in the trash. Immediately, he rips off his tear-away dress pants to reveal the Candy Stripes he has on underneath them. The crowd roars its approval.

"It's IU, baby! Go Hoosiers!" he yells above the din.

Now THAT would be the way to commit! 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, SeeYa@roys said:

I’ll do a statistical analysis “deep dive” of Calipari’s recruits. The “15-30“ ranking stats were amazing, in my opinion. It just shows that almost no development is going on for these players from where they start with him. He recruits them, and basically uses them to fill the bench.

I found another relationship that was interesting. Keep in mind that I’m going off the top of my head, and the numbers aren’t in front of me. 80% of Indiana’s five stars were still on active NBA rosters today (didn’t include Oladipo). On Calipari’s side, I think something like 60-70% of the five stars that commited made it to the NBA and played in at least one game at some point. There was a significant amount of players that were in the G-league or playing internationally however (I think it was like 25-35%). Given that present day, these players are between 18-27 years old, they’re in their prime or about to be. I found it interesting that he had such a significant population that made it to the NBA, but then washed out. Given their five star status, and how far ahead they are from their peers @ 18yr, it might suggest that hes underpreparing a considerable amount of his five stars for the NBA. Given IUs track record as one example, it seems like fringe five stars are better suited to go to a place they can play vs. sitting on the bench at UK.

Remember  Marcus Lee? Raked about 15. Recruited hard by Tom Creen until Calipari showed interest. Played sparingly, three years then transferred 

10 minutes ago, Kodos said:

Here's how I see it playing out tonight.

Keoin is standing in front of the podium, with an Indiana hat and a Kentucky hat sitting before him.

"After a lot of thought, I have chosen..." He reaches toward the hats. A hush comes over the room...

He picks it up the UK hat, and drops it in the trash. Immediately, he rips off his tear-away dress pants to reveal the Candy Stripes he has on underneath them. The crowd roars its approval.

"It's IU, baby! Go Hoosiers!" he yells above the din.

Wasn't it Cliff Alexander that picked up the Illini hat, then put it down and put on the Kansas hat?

Several optimistic things to think about:

- yes, this season was frustrating. However, we have a better record this year. When you consider ALL the injuries, and how much tougher our schedule was.... that’s impressive. Yes we had more talent, but we had a lot of very young starters.

- Whatever happens with Keion, we’re going toe-to-toe with Calipari and Kentucky right now. He could go to either, but given Kentucky’s track record over the last decade, and the fact we were 16-15 last year..... THATS A REALLY GOOD SIGN. We had an off year, and we’re still a toss-up against UK.

- I don’t read into TJD headed to the announcement tonight necessarily as a sign Brooks is coming to IU. They’re buddies, and he’s going to support his friend. However, everyone does know how much TJD wants Brooks at IU. Brooks knows this too. So I love the fact that Brooks will have to face TJD right before he announces where he has to commit to. On a subconscious level, it’s one more little thing that makes saying yes to UK and no to IU just a little harder.

-I’m bullish on Brooks to IU. UK is appealing, but so was UNC and so was MSU. He undoubtedly saw the video of the reaction to Romeo committing to IU last year. He’s been to the Hall countless times and heard his name screamed by the fans. I do think the public nature of the announcement is a very good sign. There’s an old saying in sales “people make decisions based on emotion, and justify with logic.” When you’re 18 years old, I think the emotional appeal usually outweighs the logical one”. IU had more trouble this year, and UK does send a lot of five stars to the NBA (whether it be 1 or 4 years later...haha)... but I think the emotional appeal wins out tonight.

-if IU misses on this one. I think it’s solely because of the losing streaks. That said, we had a lot of issues this year... and we STILL improved, with a tougher schedule. If this was worst case scenario.... the future looks really bright. 

So I keep seeing posters post that I have either never seen post before or only post info like twice since I have been on this forum and I have been here since 15th September 2017.  And with their posts, other posters are going all sorts of directions.  Is the info from Long Duk Dong legit or a gut feeling?

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

On a positive side, why would his mom tell people to come out and support if he was announcing for the out of state school?

I tried to address this in an earlier post, but probably failed. 

Recruits want support regardless of the decision. They don’t realize fans if any school are fans of the school. IU fans won’t necessarily be unsupportive if it’s UK, but we likely won’t follow his career very closely for another school. 

18 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I really do hope people are classy and support Keion.  He's a terrific player, and by all accounts, a very good teammate with a great family.  Any school will be lucky to get him.  Regardless of his choice (GO IU), I'm cheering for him and wish him the best.

Archived