2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The Reds could wear their pajamas and beat the Cubs this year.

Also saw this... Don't know if ARod was jucing even back then, but that's some impressive company...

Screenshot_20190818-083418_Chrome.jpg

None of those time periods were the player's first 16 games.  A-Rod began his career in the 90's.  Pujols was NOT a rookie in 2006.  And, Schmidt began his career in like 1972.  I believe that graphic is for ANY 16 game period at ANY point in a player's career.

Aquino actually holds the record alone for the start of a career.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

None of those time periods were the player's first 16 games.  A-Rod began his career in the 90's.  Pujols was NOT a rookie in 2006.  And, Schmidt began his career in like 1972.  I believe that graphic is for ANY 16 game period at ANY point in a player's career.

Aquino actually holds the record alone for the start of a career.

Then the graphic is incorrect? Says plainly "Most Home Runs in Players 1st 16 Games." 

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Then the graphic is incorrect? Says plainly "Most Home Runs in Players 1st 16 Games." 

Yes.  The graphic is incorrect.  Some intern at the Elias Sports Bureau attached a bad title to the information.  I'm fairly certain it represents ANY 16 game period, because I heard someone throw out Schmidt's name in reference to that.  But, the bottom line is, whatever it is supposed to represent, it does not represent a player's first 16 games.  None of those other guys were rookies in the year that is quoted.  And, I've seen enough info around Aquino to know that he holds the record by himself.

Well I looks like the Reds just won't put a good enough stretch to get back into this race.  This team going forward is really hard to get a read on because just looking at the players at each position it does not look to bad.  Right now those players are not playing well enough for this team to have sustain success.  To me this off season will be important to see what the front office will due with this roster.

23 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Unless you can produce a recording verified by PriceWaterhouseCooper, I'm skeptical...

Well if you have ESPN+ which I don't but Buster Olney has an article about how they are using bullpens is hurting the relivers.  You can read a few paragraphs on the article but you can't read all of it if you don't have a subscription.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well I looks like the Reds just won't put a good enough stretch to get back into this race.  This team going forward is really hard to get a read on because just looking at the players at each position it does not look to bad.  Right now those players are not playing well enough for this team to have sustain success.  To me this off season will be important to see what the front office will due with this roster.

Reds haven't been competitive since 2013. I think it's a good step forward this year but still several guys away. 4 straight seasons with win totals in the 60's don't turn into 93 wins. Going to take many moves. As you suggested. Off season will be big.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Reds haven't been competitive since 2013. I think it's a good step forward this year but still several guys away. 4 straight seasons with win totals in the 60's don't turn into 93 wins. Going to take many moves. As you suggested. Off season will be big.

Understand completely...but I think the Reds need some players to come of age.  Specifically Winker, Senzel, Mahle, Reed, and Garrett.  But that is me.

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In 2010 the Twins won their division with 94 wins.

In the years after, they had a season with 59 wins, 3 years in the 60’s, 2 years in the 70’s, and only 2 years playing above.500 ball, topping out at 85 wins. This year, they are sitting on 75 wins going into today’s game. In that timeframe they are on their third manager and most importantly, second GM. They have gone from being sellers at the trade deadline and free agency to at least being bargain hunters. They have finally decided not to give up the farm on their best minor league prospects in exchange for an overpriced, past their prime, big name.

I feel great about the path the Twins are on. The Reds, and other small/ middle market teams could do worse than to try and emulate what Minnesota has accomplished 

15 minutes ago, rico said:

Well if the Reds are going to really throw their hat into the play-off ring now is the time.  3 at home against the Pads, 3@Pit,4@Miami, and 4@StL.  

Yep. Schedule sets up for the proverbial last push. Problem is to make up the ground needed you almost have to take 11 of 14. Cubs next 12 are vs all playoff contending teams. so even if they play .500 ball you only make up 3 games. Time is certainly running out. Good friend of mine is Reds fan. He's just happy that people are still discussing the Reds as we approach Sept 1st. 

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Schedule sets up for the proverbial last push. Problem is to make up the ground needed you almost have to take 11 of 14. Cubs next 12 are vs all playoff contending teams. so even if they play .500 ball you only make up 3 games. Time is certainly running out. Good friend of mine is Reds fan. He's just happy that people are still discussing the Reds as we approach Sept 1st. 

It is nice to be talked about this late in the season.  I am just shooting for 81-81.

33 minutes ago, rico said:

It is nice to be talked about this late in the season.  I am just shooting for 81-81.

Since I listen to Chicago radio often I always hear about the White Sox and their rebuild. Leading up to All Star break plenty of chirping coming from the South Side. 13-24 record since and 20+ out of first. Rebuilds are so hard. I think what the Cubs, Astros and a couple others have done made rebuilds look easy to do when they aren't. Reds are headed in right direction and that's all any fan can ask given recent history.

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Since I listen to Chicago radio often I always hear about the White Sox and their rebuild. Leading up to All Star break plenty of chirping coming from the South Side. 13-24 record since and 20+ out of first. Rebuilds are so hard. I think what the Cubs, Astros and a couple others have done made rebuilds look easy to do when they aren't. Reds are headed in right direction and that's all any fan can ask given recent history.

Regarding the Cubs and the Astros rebuild, it's interesting that both for the most part drafted and developed or traded for young players for their every day lineup talent, but went out and got established pitchers for their starting rotation.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Regarding the Cubs and the Astros rebuild, it's interesting that both for the most part drafted and developed or traded well for their every day lineup talent, but went out and got established pitchers for their starting rotation.

Theo's MO and I agree with it. Let other organizations spend all the time, energy, and resources on pitchers/development and come in and either trade for talent or make your lineup so appealing pitchers would love to pitch for a team with big run support.

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Theo's MO and I agree with it. Let other organizations spend all the time, energy, and resources on pitchers/development and come in and either trade for talent or make your lineup so appealing pitchers would love to pitch for a team with big run support.

I think that's smart as well. I'd much rather spend the money on a good starter than be stuck holding a Puhols or Heyward like contract for mediocre results.

It'll be interesting to see how Theo plays it after this year. Hamels is in the final year of his contract, and at 35 he may have a little left in the tank. It'd probably take a deal like Arrieta signed (3 years, 75 mil) to keep him.

Or we could shoot for the stars and try to lure Garrit Cole from the Astros. The other solid and probably cheaper option would be Jake Odorizzi. Having a good year for the Twinks, and is an Illinois native. And the Cubs had interest in him a couple of years ago...

Archived