2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Hawk Harrelson won the Ford Frick award for broadcasting excellence and is going to the Hall of Fame.

Good for Hawk. I'm a Cub fan, but I always liked listening to him doing the White Sox games...

"You can put it on the booooooooard, yes!"

"He gone"....with a duck snort

30 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Beyond insane but he deserves to be highest paid for sure. 

My boys are happy they big yankee fans. Want us to go to Iowa to see field of dreams game.

Born in Chicago but my Dad was a White Sox fan. I'm Cubs. He still talks about 59 White Sox team like it was yesterday. If he makes it to next summer no matter the price we'll be headed. 

3 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Beyond insane but he deserves to be highest paid for sure. 

My boys are happy they big yankee fans. Want us to go to Iowa to see field of dreams game.

That would be awesome!

I have an 11 year old grandson who plays baseball and is pretty good at it. He goes to lessons during fall and winter. While at his lesson this week someone asked if the facility he goes to had anyone that could make their kid a $300 million dollar pitcher!

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Born in Chicago but my Dad was a White Sox fan. I'm Cubs. He still talks about 59 White Sox team like it was yesterday. If he makes it to next summer no matter the price we'll be headed. 

The '59 Sox are my dad's team as well.  He still has his standing room ticket stub from Game 2, and a ball signed by most of the members of that team, including Nellie Fox across the sweet spot. 

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

The '59 Sox are my dad's team as well.  He still has his standing room ticket stub from Game 2, and a ball signed by most of the members of that team, including Nellie Fox across the sweet spot. 

My Dad was a Cardinal fan but he was a "Big Klu" fan.  At the time of the '59 series, Dad was stationed in San Diego.  Him and a few of his buddies scored some tickets to a WS game in LA.  Don't remember which game...but Dad doesn't remember too much about the game other than he had never seen so many people in one place at the same time.  Then the Dodgers played at the Coliseum.  Add to it he was a sailor and alcohol had to have been involved.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

My Dad was a Cardinal fan but he was a "Big Klu" fan.  At the time of the '59 series, Dad was stationed in San Diego.  Him and a few of his buddies scored some tickets to a WS game in LA.  Don't remember which game...but Dad doesn't remember too much about the game other than he had never seen so many people in one place at the same time.  Then the Dodgers played at the Coliseum.  Add to it he was a sailor and alcohol had to have been involved.

A pic of the Coliseum at that time. 250 to left, and 440 to right-center. 

Good old Wally Moon...

Screenshot_20191213-093105.png

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yankees been sniffing around with Schwarber. Sounds unlikely but thought you'd be interested in knowing.

Schwarber would be deadly with that short right field porch, but if the Yankees did come calling, I hope the price is high. 

Right now, I'm wondering who's going to take Hamels spot in the rotation. Alec Mills? Alzolay? Chatwood (if he's ready for the start of the season)? Cotton (if he's ready as well)?

The Cubs haven't made any moves this off season after speculation that there would be a major shake-up. I keep hearing Bryant and Contreras as possible trade chips, but nothing with legs yet. I'd imagine they want to see how Bryant's grievance hearing turns out before they get serious with trade talks. 

I just hope I don't eventually find out the Ricketts are related to the McCaskeys.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Schwarber would be deadly with that short right field porch, but if the Yankees did come calling, I hope the price is high. 

Right now, I'm wondering who's going to take Hamels spot in the rotation. Alec Mills? Alzolay? Chatwood (if he's ready for the start of the season)? Cotton (if he's ready as well)?

The Cubs haven't made any moves this off season after speculation that there would be a major shake-up. I keep hearing Bryant and Contreras as possible trade chips, but nothing with legs yet. I'd imagine they want to see how Bryant's grievance hearing turns out before they get serious with trade talks. 

I just hope I don't eventually find out the Ricketts are related to the McCaskeys.

I haven't spent much time in Cub world recently but whispers of no money available seems to be the big theme. Ricketts spent so much on renovations of Wrigley and neighborhood they forgot to leave some for club. Cubs been shopping dead money contracts all winter. Shake up will come but like you said we won't be able to start until Bryant situation is resolved.

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I got to believe it is Chatwood...but I would think Alzolay would get a big time shot.  

10 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Have not seen that, but good to hear. Always good to have a Hoosier (hello Don Mattingly), on the greatest baseball franchise of all time!!!!!  😀

No argument there. Plus after all things Cub Donnie Baseball was my guy. Always felt like his forearms wanted to rip the bat to shreds each time he stepped up.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Have not seen that, but good to hear. Always good to have a Hoosier (hello Don Mattingly), on the greatest baseball franchise of all time!!!!!  😀

The Reds could use Kyle Schwarber seeing as how Kyle is a native Buckeye...

19 hours ago, rico said:

I got to believe it is Chatwood...but I would think Alzolay would get a big time shot.  

Right now according to CBS Sports, they have Mills penciled in...I'm hoping for another move though...

Was Miley the Reds big move? He was good for the Astros, bit petered out toward the end. Left off the post season roster...but you can't ignore 14-6 3.98...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Right now according to CBS Sports, they have Mills penciled in...I'm hoping for another move though...

Was Miley the Reds big move? He was good for the Astros, bit petered out toward the end. Left off the post season roster...but you can't ignore 14-6 3.98...

It was Reds pitching coach, Derek Johnson, that got Miley straightened out when he was with Milwaukee.  Completes our 5 man rotation.  Appears solid but you know how that goes.  I think Cincy is still shopping.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

It was Reds pitching coach, Derek Johnson, that got Miley straightened out when he was with Milwaukee.  Completes our 5 man rotation.  Appears solid but you know how that goes.  I think Cincy is still shopping.

Didn't know that. I think he'll be a good middle of the rotation high inning count guy for the Reds...

As I've said, all my childhood friends are Reds fans, and the friend side of me wants them to do well because it makes my friends, who I still keep in contact with, happy...

The perverse side of me rubs it in when the Cubs were doing so much better...

What are friends for? 😁

Archived