2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Grandal to the Pale Hose for 4 years and $73 million.

But until they address that pitching staff, they're second division. Glad they did take Grandal from the Brewers though.

Funny that the team that usually cries poverty outspent a team who is crying poverty. Helps the Cubs so I'm cool with it. 

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Mark Fidrych... not long, but , boy did he pitch well for a year or two 

I wouldn't call "The Bird" a head case.  He was just odd/unique for the time.  But yeah in 1 1/2 years he was something else and injuries got him.  RIP "Bird"

In that same "genre" when speaking of Mark and what could have been  Along with Fidrych another player that captivated me in my youth with a short shelf life concerning a career was Joe Charboneau.  

8 hours ago, rico said:

another player that captivated me in my youth with a short shelf life concerning a career was Joe Charboneau

Charboneau did his own dental work and supposedly fixed his own broken nose with some pliers and whiskey. Tough dude.

Moe Drabowsky was nicknamed "Toys in the Attic." If that doesn't announce crazy, nothing does.

Al Hrbosky was another one that cracked me up. He'd get all worked up, and slam the ball into his glove before every batter. Toward the end when he was getting rocked a lot, he'd go into his act, and I swear you could see steam coming out of every orifice.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Al Hrbosky was another one that cracked me up. He'd get all worked up, and slam the ball into his glove before every batter. Toward the end when he was getting rocked a lot, he'd go into his act, and I swear you could see steam coming out of every orifice.

The Mad, Mad, Hungarian...loved me some Al.

34 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Maybe not naturally crazy, but I think Dock Ellis belongs in this conversation.

And for a laugh, look up Robin Williams' bit on Dock Ellis.

It's been said that Dock was on a Little Something Detrimental when he gave up this shot to Reggie Jackson in the 71 All-Star game. What a blast....

Two caveats to this video. The broadcaster is The Great Curt Gowdy. 

And nobody's home run trot said "cockiness" like The Straw That Stirs the Drink.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's been said that Dock was on a Little Something Detrimental when he gave up this shot to Reggie Jackson in the 71 All-Star game. What a blast....

Two caveats to this video. The broadcaster is The Great Curt Gowdy. 

And nobody's home run trot said "cockiness" like The Straw That Stirs the Drink.

In terms of home run trot cockiness....I still think my many Rickey Henderson was the greatest. There were times I swear he was almost touching the dugout headed to first. Loved it!

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In terms of home run trot cockiness....I still think my many Rickey Henderson was the greatest. There were times I swear he was almost touching the dugout headed to first. Loved it!

Ricky was indeed one of a kind...I love the shirt pinch...

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's a great find! Look how far away he is from the line. My man Rickey. Still have 2 of his rookie cards. Could never bring myself to sell.

I forgot he spelled Rickey with the "e." 

Probably the most famous of the rare right handed batter, left handed thrower players too...

On 11/23/2019 at 5:39 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Mark Fidrych... not long, but , boy did he pitch well for a year or two 

Evansville actually had a triple A affiliation with the Detroit Tigers and I got to see Mark Fidrych play at Bosse Field! 

It was great knowing these players had the chance to move up to the major leagues.....

51 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Evansville actually had a triple A affiliation with the Detroit Tigers and I got to see Mark Fidrych play at Bosse Field! 

It was great knowing these players had the chance to move up to the major leagues.....

Does that stadium still exist in Evansville?

54 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yes it does! The school corp. uses it for high school baseball and Evansville still has semi-pro baseball in the Frontier League, the Evansville Otters!

not to mention, one of my favorite sports movies, League of their Own, was filmed there!

One of the great sayings of all time...

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yes it does! The school corp. uses it for high school baseball and Evansville still has semi-pro baseball in the Frontier League, the Evansville Otters!

not to mention, one of my favorite sports movies, League of their Own, was filmed there!

I don't know if this is true or not.  But I heard a trivia question years ago.  IIRC that stadium is the 3rd oldest baseball stadium in existance.  Right behind Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.

Archived