2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ft. Wayne's own, and Bishop Luers grad, Kevin Kiermaier wins his 3rd Golden Glove in the outfield

Saw that this morning on WANE-TV.  Congrats Kevin.  BTW, they had a little snippet about him on the radio just a little while ago...couldn't hear it all but I got that he turned down a football scholarship to Purdue and that his grandfather is a groundskeeper for the Cubs.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Man, I loved that guy.  Had he lived I would suspect he would have been the greatest catcher in the history of the game.

Really?  He was 32 when he died, which is the start of the decline for most players, and is usually more pronounced for catchers.  Hard for me to imagine him in the top 5, let alone as the greatest of all time.

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Really?  He was 32 when he died, which is the start of the decline for most players, and is usually more pronounced for catchers.  Hard for me to imagine him in the top 5, let alone as the greatest of all time.

We will never know will we?

1 hour ago, rico said:

Man, I loved that guy.  Had he lived I would suspect he would have been the greatest catcher in the history of the game.

At the time he would have retired? Arguable.  He has two contemporaries that are also in that discussion: Bench and Fisk. 

That said, I'd say in terms of balance between hitting and defense, I'd put Pudge Rodriguez in that slot.  Munson, Bench, Fisk and Joe Mauer are also in that conversation. 

6 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

At the time he would have retired? Arguable.  He has two contemporaries that are also in that discussion: Bench and Fisk. 

That said, I'd say in terms of balance between hitting and defense, I'd put Pudge Rodriguez in that slot.  Munson, Bench, Fisk and Joe Mauer are also in that conversation. 

You forgot about Gary Carter...

On my phone and can't link, but Google 'JAWS Catcher Leaders'.  It's a calculation that compares total WAR to the player's 7 year peak.  The thought is that it provides an adjustment for players whose career is cut short.

It will give you an idea where Munson is in the catcher hierarchy based on modern statistical valuation.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

On my phone and can't link, but Google 'JAWS Catcher Leaders'.  It's a calculation that compares total WAR to the player's 7 year peak.  The thought is that it provides an adjustment for players whose career is cut short.

It will give you an idea where Munson is in the catcher hierarchy based on modern statistical valuation.

Shows how good of a hitter Piazza was.  As I said above, I'm a Mets fan and I'll be the first admit that on his best day, he was mediocre defensively. 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sabermetrics BS!  LOL

Give Munson another 5-8 years alive, projections be damned!

Back to Munson.  We can project his stats whatever way we want to.  But how about we project the Yankees with Munson for another 5-10 years?  Their ascent was with him and upon death their decline started.  Would they have won the series in '81...etc.  Now had the Yanks had Thurmon how many more titles could they have possibly have won?  All subjective and we only got what it was when he was alive.  

Archived