2019 MLB Discussion

rico

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, rico said:

Scott is gonna be all over this one.  Greinke cruising then has a hiccup in the top of the 7th with one out.  Gives up a gopher ball and walks the next batter and then is pulled.  Not for Cole but for Harris...Harris' second pitch goes yard.  Just like that the Nats are up 3-2.  The line on Zack was 6.1 2H 2R...and he threw 80 pitches.  The case can be made he was pulled too soon WS or not.

NO doubt and you will see that in my above post.  Another mistake was when they had two outs and a guy on second with Soto coming up.  The score was 3-2 so tey should have walked Soto which I was yelling at the TV before that bat but they pitched to him and he singled in a run.

28 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am sure that is where he will end up

Newport Beach native. Grew up about 10 miles from stadium....his wife and he both went to UCLA. The twist is his Dad grew up die hard Yankees fan. I'll lean Yankees but don't count out Angels and Joe Maddon selling Cole on being his Jon Lester. Be the first one to join the fray,etc...like Lester did when he chose the Cubs in winter of 14.

I don't disagree on pulling Greinke.  7th inning, now a one run game after he gave up a homer and now the tying run is on.  That's not unreasonable.  It's game 7 of the World Series.  Even an experienced starter might get rattled and start feeling the pressure.  That's a manager's call to make. 

I know Reverend Scott from the Church of Anti-analytics will blame Hinch for doing this based on one of those heathen metrics, but I don't think that's the case.  I'm as analytical as they come (I'm actually typing this while I have a predictive model churning in the background), but this is a time where a pure gut call can be made. Just purely based on the situation, I don't think it's that bad of a move.  At the very least, the case could be made either direction. 

Pulling Greinke? Debatable, but not unreasonable.The problem is who he chose to bring in. And for that....yeah, he needs a kick in the forehead. 

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I don't disagree on pulling Greinke.  7th inning, now a one run game after he gave up a homer and now the tying run is on.  That's not unreasonable.  It's game 7 of the World Series.  Even an experienced starter might get rattled and start feeling the pressure.  That's a manager's call to make. 

I know Reverend Scott from the Church of Anti-analytics will blame Hinch for doing this based on one of those heathen metrics, but I don't think that's the case.  I'm as analytical as they come (I'm actually typing this while I have a predictive model churning in the background), but this is a time where a pure gut call can be made. Just purely based on the situation, I don't think it's that bad of a move.  At the very least, the case could be made either direction. 

Pulling Greinke? Debatable, but not unreasonable.The problem is who he chose to bring in. And for that....yeah, he needs a kick in the forehead. 

Great reply...IMHO Hinch made back-to-back bad decisions.  But I would have had no problem with the first one if Zack would have been replaced by Cole.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Great reply...IMHO Hinch made back-to-back bad decisions.  But I would have had no problem with the first one if Zack would have been replaced by Cole.

You would be asking the guy that for the most part has been un hittable to get 5 outs and turn it over to the close or even let him get 8. I thought Cole was a no brainer decision, an example of a coach out thinking himself

14 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You would be asking the guy that for the most part has been un hittable to get 5 outs and turn it over to the close or even let him get 8. I thought Cole was a no brainer decision, an example of a coach out thinking himself

What made putting Harris in more of a bad choice was he had already pitched in 11 post season games.  I would have thought they would have put someone else in that is a little fresher.

45 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

All I have to say thank god managers did not think this way back in the world series where the Braves and twins were in a 7th game.  Each starter got in multiple jams but were able to get out of them because the managers trusted them.  Also those two were the teams best pitchers so I would want my best trying to win the game.  Morris went 10 innings for the complete game shutout in game 7 and I bet their manager never thought about taking him out in the 6th or 7th inning even when he got into some trouble.

I might have thought about taking Geinke out if he was over 100 pitches but he was in the high 70's when they took him out.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

All I have to say thank god managers did not think this way back in the world series where the Braves and twins were in a 7th game.  Each starter got in multiple jams but were able to get out of them because the managers trusted them.  Also those two were the teams best pitchers so I would want my best trying to win the game.  Morris went 10 innings for the complete game shutout in game 7 and I bet their manager never thought about taking him out in the 6th or 7th inning even when he got into some trouble.

I might have thought about taking Geinke out if he was over 100 pitches but he was in the high 70's when they took him out.

Managers thought that way then. The game before that, Cox pulled Avery after 6 after only 83 pitches.  Braves had just tied it up, and he would have faced 8-9-1. And the game was in Minnesota, so it wasn't a pinch hitting situation. And yes, Avery isn't exactly a hall of famer, but he was 18-8 that season and was the NLCS MVP. 

Edit: And the change was made at the start of an inning.  Avery wasn't even in trouble at the time.

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

ESPN early 2020 power rankings are out and the Cubs are 12th and the Reds are 19th.  It is silly to post power rankings before free agency and the winter meetings because the rosters will be totally different after that.

Caught your attention didn't it?  And you read it!

2 hours ago, rico said:

Caught your attention didn't it?  And you read it!

Now you're going to make him paranoid. "Wait....cant click on that. That's what they want me to do. No, they're expecting me to do that. Ahhhhh! They're tracking me either way! Can't sleep clowns will eat me. Can't sleep clowns will eat me."

Hinch explains why he didn't use Cole in Game 7

After the game, Hinch explained his thinking by saying, "I wasn't going to pitch him the World Series and have a lead. He was going to help us win. He was available, and I felt it was a game that he was going to come in had we tied it or taken the lead. He was going to close the game in the ninth after I brought Osuna in had we kept the lead."

See? This is what pissed me off. He wanted Cole to be in there for the last out for some reason, just like in my eyes, Joe Maddon wanted Jon Lester to be the winning pitcher in game 7 of 2016.

Why? As Herm Edwards once said, "You play to win the game."

"I felt it was a game that he was going to come in had we tied it or taken the lead."

You had the friggin lead with 1 out in the 7th and the tying run on 1st and the go ahead run at the plate! So you wheel out a guy who had given up a home run to Rendon the night before rather than the best pitcher in baseball this year!?!? And I wonder what this says to your closer, Osuna?

Unbelievable...

46 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hinch explains why he didn't use Cole in Game 7

After the game, Hinch explained his thinking by saying, "I wasn't going to pitch him the World Series and have a lead. He was going to help us win. He was available, and I felt it was a game that he was going to come in had we tied it or taken the lead. He was going to close the game in the ninth after I brought Osuna in had we kept the lead."

See? This is what pissed me off. He wanted Cole to be in there for the last out for some reason, just like in my eyes, Joe Maddon wanted Jon Lester to be the winning pitcher in game 7 of 2016.

Why? As Herm Edwards once said, "You play to win the game."

"I felt it was a game that he was going to come in had we tied it or taken the lead."

You had the friggin lead with 1 out in the 7th and the tying run on 1st and the go ahead run at the plate! So you wheel out a guy who had given up a home run to Rendon the night before rather than the best pitcher in baseball this year!?!? And I wonder what this says to your closer, Osuna?

Unbelievable...

I had seen that...nice logic for Hinch.  Hope he enjoys the off-season.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I had seen that...nice logic for Hinch.  Hope he enjoys the off-season.

Keep making decisions like that and he'll have plenty of "off-season" to enjoy. 

Game 7, it's all hands on deck.  Except for your game 6 starter, everyone is available.  No sense saving anyone for tomorrow, because there is none. Case in point, 2001: Curt Schilling wears down, not exactly hall of fame manager Bob Brenly has someone face one batter, and then who does he go to? Randy Johnson.  First relief appearance of his career, IIRC. 

Archived