Was Crean as hard to follow as Bobby???

From a coaching standpoint, everyone knows its tough to follow a legend.  But from a fanbases point of view,  are we too quick to harshly judge CAM?  I think we are! Mostly because the administration kept Crean for way too long...  recruiting is definitely on the upswing, the state in being locked up. Second youngest coach in the league so there is a real chance for sustained longevity...  these kids are committing to our coach, not the fans, not the university.   5 stars are trusting our staff... lets not cut our own throats with the perception, this staff may not be here after the kid signs.  We are walking a slippery slope as a fan base and only one recruiting class in!  If Brooks goes somewhere else, ya better go look in the mirror boys

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

well one thing that makes some sense here is if Crean was a total "player's coach" and Archie is his opposite, it would stand to reason that some of the key guys are just not onboard and that's the main cause for the problems?  i don't know.  

Maybe some of these key players are just a bunch of cry babies and they get their feelings hurt to easy..you know why Izzo is always in contention, cause he is a tuff coach who molds tuff players,after the Purdue loss he refers to his freshman as babies,saying they need diapers.

I occasionally look at PU and IL message boards (who am I kidding, Purdue only has 1 wimpy board) and even this season I saw similar complaints about Underwood, Painter, and their respective teams as we've had.  The main difference is the activity of multiple IU boards is just far greater and perhaps more passionate.

When things go south, there's always criticism of the coach, his recruiting, lazy play and lack of talent.  It's what fans do, pretty much universally.

22 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I just refuse to blame fans for lack of success at this level, sorry.  Players play, coaches coach, fans...cheer or boo or drink beer and do both.  

Im not blaming fans for our lack of success this season.. just staging that maybe we are so quick to jump on Archie  due to creans extended tenure here...  but i am saying,  when a fan base turns on a coach, it can definitely affect recruiting in a negative way 

NO ONE associated with this IU team in any way is above criticism.  From what we've seen in terms of effort and results, there is plenty of criticism justified.  My opinion:  When people say we need a coaching change in season two, it should be viewed as a passionate, illogical reaction to the stench coming up from the court.  Fans are fans, we have no way to make this team better so we react.  Win a game if you don't want to be criticized.  Play like an All-American candidate if you want your fans not to question why your game has vanished.  All fair game when you drop this many, looking so bad.   Going from a "safe haven" culture to one of accountability and toughness is not going to appeal to all of today's young players.  Seems like we are watching that come to its worst possible outward expression.   GO HOOSIERS.

6 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Im not blaming fans for our lack of success this season.. just staging that maybe we are so quick to jump on Archie  due to creans extended tenure here...  but i am saying,  when a fan base turns on a coach, it can definitely affect recruiting in a negative way 

I'm sure there are recruits that would shy away from such a passionate fan base.  Others thrive on that type of passion and interest.  UK has no trouble getting recruits.

I think being unable to score 60 points, losing countless number of games in a row, and missing the tournament multiple years in a row will do more to hurt recruiting than fan reactions.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm sure there are recruits that would shy away from such a passionate fan base.  Others thrive on that type of passion and interest.  UK has no trouble getting recruits.

I think being unable to score 60 points, losing countless number of games in a row, and missing the tournament multiple years in a row will do more to hurt recruiting than fan reactions.

I disagree! When the fan base is getting called out by BTN, ex players,  current players signed, and their parents.   

1 hour ago, hoosier8760 said:

Yeah because fans of other high profile programs are all sunshine and roses. Get real. Did IU Scott make a new handle? Let's blame the fans for a University that wallows in mediocrity. Without rabid fan support, IU athletics are absolutely NOTHING

Not blaming the fans for everything but stop having you head stuck in the sand if you think the fans have no responsibility as well.

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well it is easy to deal with at UK since most of those players are only there for 6 months

38 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I disagree! When the fan base is getting called out by BTN, ex players,  current players signed, and their parents.   

The passion of the fan base played a huge part in Romeo's decision to come to IU,  It would have been easy for him to have went to Kansas, where winning was more of a sure thing, or gone to Vanderbilt, where winning or losing does not really matter.  But, he chose Indiana.  

Ask Victor Oladipo about the fans in Indiana.  

Yes, Indiana fans that expect a title contender every year are unreasonable.  However, Indiana fans that expect effort and passion from the players on the floor and leadership (coaching or otherwise) that helps prevent a collapse like we've seen have every right to be unhappy with this season.  

Archived