Ohio St post game thread

IU Scott

Just now, rico said:

And those were Crean's players.......9-9 in conference.

Most of the roster is still “Crean’s” players, but that’s kind of the point.  He got that team last year to play hard, together and do pretty well the second half of the season.  This year, with more talent, he hasn’t been able to get to these guys for whatever reason.  I don’t think he changed how he coached the team, so that just leads me to believe there’s something going on.  Time will tell.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am done posting I think. Only because I feel like I am saying the same thing over an over. This team has a very low basketball IQ. I always felt once Newkirk moved on the team would automatically be better because he was a turn over machine. We’re not, it’s like the team as a whole is a turnover machine. How many incredible poor shots did we take. Shots with very low percentage chance to go in. That doesn’t show up as a turn over but in my mine it is a wasted procession. I didn’t think it would be possible but we are worse then last year. That’s on Archie as much as the players! Can anyone point to any improvement over last year! I can remember at least three Airballs by three different players on open shots not desperate heaves!! And I missed most of the first half! I saw were we only had 10,000 fan in the gym. I think that tells it all. Going into this game we thought we would win and you can’t fill the gym! Wow something needs to start hitting the wall! 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also don't you think it is a lot easier turning Nevada around since they  play in a lot weaker conference.  What Musselman has done well is bring in a roster full of transfers who are now 5th year seniors and they have a lot of experience,

As for missing coaches if we are patient I feel the other way is that if we fire a coach after two years you won't get any great candidates

I do think it's easier to turn around Nevada, and yes what Musselman has done well at with Nevada wouldn't be the same strategy one would use at Indiana. I agree with you about the candidates. I'd have a hard time taking the Indiana job if I was a prospective coach if I had no Indiana ties especially knowing the expectations are incredible. The shadow of Bob Knight is ENORMOUS and I think most IU fans don't want to think about that hanging over the program. But that's another discussion entirely :)

35 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

Agree, but the reverse is also true. You can't blindly say be patient simply because it worked out at Duke.

Duke was just an example, it's worked in a number of places.  Do you think the Browns wish they kept Belichick?  You are patient because that's what the intelligent thing to do is, and it's the right thing to do, you are patient because you owe it to a guy who left success at another program to give everybody a chance to have mutual success.  That goes for in a vacuum, in a broom, in a mop, or in a room.

23 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Must be confusing me with someone else... You’re a little more than 30 years off (I’m one of the “instant gratification” millennials ruining the fanbase).  It’s been a while since I’ve lived in Fort Wayne, so I haven’t been able to make any Alumni Club meetings yet, but I’ll make sure to let you know if I ever do so you can steer clear.

Sorry for the mixup.

Your posts make a lot more sense now.

2 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Duke was just an example, it's worked in a number of places.  Do you think the Browns wish they kept Belichick?  You are patient because that's what the intelligent thing to do is, and it's the right thing to do, you are patient because you owe it to a guy who left success at another program to give everybody a chance to have mutual success.  That goes for in a vacuum, in a broom, in a mop, or in a room.

Like the rhetoric at the end, but given the nature of competitive sports, there are lot more examples that don't work out than do work out. It's easy to point to Belichick or Krzyzewski, but you are cherry picking arguably the absolute greatest at their respective professions. I'm not saying don't give Archie time. Let's say IU goes 1-6 down the stretch so they'll be 14-17. Let's also assume they get a win in the BTT but lose their 2nd. That's 15-18. How many coaches in year 2 that went 15-18 turned into Mike Kzyzewski? 

7 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

I do think it's easier to turn around Nevada, and yes what Musselman has done well at with Nevada wouldn't be the same strategy one would use at Indiana. I agree with you about the candidates. I'd have a hard time taking the Indiana job if I was a prospective coach if I had no Indiana ties especially knowing the expectations are incredible. The shadow of Bob Knight is ENORMOUS and I think most IU fans don't want to think about that hanging over the program. But that's another discussion entirely :)

I was reading how Gene Bartow left the UCLA job after a couple of years because of the shadow of Wooden and that pressure that their fans put on him was not worth it.

1 minute ago, hoosiermd said:

Like the rhetoric at the end, but given the nature of competitive sports, there are lot more examples that don't work out than do work out. It's easy to point to Belichick or Krzyzewski, but you are cherry picking arguably the absolute greatest at their respective professions. I'm not saying don't give Archie time. Let's say IU goes 1-6 down the stretch so they'll be 14-17. Let's also assume they get a win in the BTT but lose their 2nd. That's 15-18. How many coaches in year 2 that went 15-18 turned into Mike Kzyzewski? 

Jay Wright, John Belein and Tony Bennet all started of slowly and have turn it around.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I was reading how Gene Bartow left the UCLA job after a couple of years because of the shadow of Wooden and that pressure that their fans put on him was not worth it.

Absolutely. And remember Bartow was 51-10 in his 2 years following Wooden that included an Elite 8 and a Final 4. The elephant in the room we all just want to ignore is Bob Knight.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Bartow also went 52-9 in two seasons with the Bruins.  2 conference titles and a FF appearance.  And they were not his players.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Jay Wright, John Belein and Tony Bennet all started of slowly and have turn it around.

5 minutes ago, hoosiermd said:

No question. Now how many didn't?

What does it matter? You just don't want to be the team that let a coach of that caliber go.  This isn't a probability math problem, it's a major school who hired an up and coming coach, from a basketball pedigreed family.  Not a bag with 3 blue marbles and 17 green marbles and you only get to pick one lol.

Are you taking Finite math right now?

1 minute ago, CapnRon said:

What does it matter? You just don't want to be the team that let a coach of that caliber go.  This isn't a probability math problem, it's a major school who hired an up and coming coach, from a basketball pedigreed family.  Not a bag with 3 blue marbles and 17 green marbles and you only get to pick one lol.

You are correct. You don't want to be the school go. But in your bag of marbles, if you pick 17 green marbles that don't work out and you want to give each 5 years to show what they can really do then all of a sudden you're program has sucked for 85 years. Indiana has been trash for 25. I don't want to go another 60. You see, it really is a math problem. 

45 minutes ago, Snackdaddy said:

I agree with this, IU SCOTT. I’m sure its been repeated ad nauseum, but the type of player Archie needs to be successful is not the same type of guy that Crean was looking for and not many zebras can change their stripes.  Also, i hear a lot of people that want great talent mixed with solid upperclassmen. These same people call for Miller’s head after a loss. You cant get to this if you cut bait after two years. 

With that said, i do scratch my head at some things the coach does, and he definitely shouldn’t be immune from criticism.

Good post.  

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Glad to hear that.  I’m thoroughly enjoying your second act as the patient, rational fan making excuses for the coaching staff after you led the charge against Crean on the last site.

It's possible, he could be correct in both cases still, or wrong on both lol.

Archived