Wisconsin Postgame Thread

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Not to be overlooked is our free throw defense. We played ok, had enough dumb plays to let them hang around and in the end, makes a few more free throws and they would have come out with the W

It's really odd how, in a season where we can't catch a break with respect to contested big shots (looking at you, Bohannon), our opponents can't seem to make free throws. 

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Putting Rob, Juwan and Romeo all on the bench at the same time was a mistake that a first year coach shouldn’t make. Let alone one with 8 years experience. And it’s not even the first time his rotations have been horrible. Despite the win Archie needs to be better. 

You have to put some context to the situation. It’s not like Archie is an idiot and forgot what he was doing or thought “I know, let’s see if we can blow this!”

Langford hardly ever comes out, he needed a blow at that point. Juwan was in foul trouble, plays a ton of minutes and was struggling offensively himself, and Rob came out because of an injury. As a coach you have to trust that your guys can at least hold serve for a few minutes. Our defense was on point, and you assume you’re not going to lose much with Smith, Green and McRoberts in, and offensively it’s not the best lineup but you feel like you can run things through Davis, plus both Durham and Smith were having good nights on that end. 

It’s not a video game and it’s not as simple as “geez, any first year coach knows that”.

I think 18 wins gets us in no matter how we get the wins (win out or run in the BTT).  That stat about 6 quad 1 wins vs no quad 3 or lower losses speaks for itself.  Beat MSU this weekend would be a huge boost in that regard as well.

There's no other bubble team near us if we can get to 18 wins.  The only way that doesn't get us in is if there's a bunch of conference tourney upsets, but then 19 wins wouldn't do it in that case, either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the committee is able to take injuries into account, correct?  It's pretty obvious that IU is a very different team with De'ron and Race able to play.

Regardless, it's been obvious to me that this team has been playing hard and fixing it's issues since MSU (excepting at Minnesota), and every game since has been a toss-up in the last minute.  Unfortunately, we also got "Bohannon'ed" about four times in that stretch as well.

In broader terms, I don't see how the team doesn't post a better record next year, even with the departure of Juwan and Romeo.  Davis, Thompson, Forrester, and TJD is going to a be a really-good to solid rotation down low.  Rob and Al are both going to be solid, and Al's on a really good trajectory of improvement.  Whether or not Franklin can come in and provide some solid minutes is going to be a huge barometer for backcourt success.  Hopefully, Damezi has a solid jump, too, because we need him. 

Getting Hunter back will also be really important, but if we can add Brooks and one or two juco or grad-transfers that are good spot-up shooters, we should be looking at a much better constructed roster for next year.  Alternatively, if Smith doesn't transfer and plays more like he did last night and less like he has the rest of the year, we should be looking much better as well. 

I'm afraid Devonte's style and mentality just doesn't translate to Archie's style, and I'm not sure he's even trying to fit in that style at this point.  I really would love for that light to go off, though, because he could be one of the most impressive passers in the game if he would add a little restraint and thought to his game and quit trying to be so flashy all the time, and if he chose his shots better, he would be a genuine three-point shooting threat.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You have to put some context to the situation. It’s not like Archie is an idiot and forgot what he was doing or thought “I know, let’s see if we can blow this!”

Langford hardly ever comes out, he needed a blow at that point. Juwan was in foul trouble, plays a ton of minutes and was struggling offensively himself, and Rob came out because of an injury. As a coach you have to trust that your guys can at least hold serve for a few minutes. Our defense was on point, and you assume you’re not going to lose much with Smith, Green and McRoberts in, and offensively it’s not the best lineup but you feel like you can run things through Davis, plus both Durham and Smith were having good nights on that end. 

It’s not a video game and it’s not as simple as “geez, any first year coach knows that”.

I don’t care about the circumstances. This isn’t the first time it’s happemed the 20-3, 22-0 and 18-1 runs have got to stop and most of not all occur when Archie makes a questionable line up change 

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

19-15 with no bad losses could probably do it. 

I think that 7 of the 12 losses in the big ten have been by 6 points or less. Just think he we could have just won 3 of those and we would be 17-11 right now and probably be in the tournament. I think if everyone was healthy all year we would have been able to win some of those close losses.

Great win. 

No quit in the team. Have to think that both Davis and Thompson were gassed after having to play that many minutes. Hopefully, quick recovery for early Saturday game.

I loved the defensive strategy CAM had the kids play vs Happ. He got his, but he also turned the ball over in several crucial plays.

I was surprised that Iverson was off the floor for so long in the second half. For a while there, we had no answer for him

In one of the scrambles right at the end of the game, Gard had to be 2-3 feet on the court and I thought he was there purposely to limit the space our guys had.

Finally. I am strongly considering moving to Bloomington when I retire and volunteering my services to run the clock. Don't know what was wrong with that guy, but it was horrific.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I think that 7 of the 12 losses in the big ten have been by 6 points or less. Just think he we could have just won 3 of those and we would be 17-11 right now and probably be in the tournament. I think if everyone was healthy all year we would have been able to win some of those close losses.

Yep sub 300 in luck on Kenpom not sure we have been there before. But still need the Ws. Saturday is especially big. 

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If this team could have played the way they have the last 3 games....who knows. I think Archie jerked a knot in their tails.  

This team absolutely played this way for the entire Purdue game, and probably 96% of the Iowa game. Sometimes you just lose, unfortunately. Just because you win doesn't mean you automatically played well or better. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The refs clearly did not want to look at that replay. They seemed to truly believe that Bruiser was seeing something that was not there.  I honestly wonder if they finally relented just as a way to make him sit down.  I think they were truly surprised by what they saw.

Any one could see the ball changed directions after the block.  If the UW did not touch it then there was no way that the ball would have went the direction the ball did because it would have went back the corner of the court.

31 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Pretty simple stuff you would think. Good post. 

38 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I don’t care about the circumstances. This isn’t the first time it’s happemed the 20-3, 22-0 and 18-1 runs have got to stop and most of not all occur when Archie makes a questionable line up change 

I think Archie is really pretty good with substitutions, certainly night and day better than the previous coach. Keeping it to last night, every coach in the country has moments in games where you're sitting some key guys and hoping to steal some minutes with your bench and other starters. During this supposed "mistake" by Archie, we had two current starters in the game and the other three guys on the court have been starters this season. It's not like he had Forrester and Moore out there.

Archie should be able to trust those guys to steal him 3 minutes and not blow a 13 point lead. At most it was a gamble, it was not some huge coaching mistake. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Archie is really pretty good with substitutions, certainly night and day better than the previous coach. Keeping it to last night, every coach in the country has moments in games where you're sitting some key guys and hoping to steal some minutes with your bench and other starters. During this supposed "mistake" by Archie, we had two current starters in the game and the other three guys on the court have been starters this season. It's not like he had Forrester and Moore out there.

Archie should be able to trust those guys to steal him 3 minutes and not blow a 13 point lead. At most it was a gamble, it was not some huge coaching mistake. 

You don’t sit your 3 most important guys at the same time obviously you have to rest your guys but you don’t trot out line up lacking a PG or at least a dominant scorer. 

He ran out a line up that didn’t have a PG or scorers what a shock the offense went to crap leading to offense for them.  I like Al but at no point should he be the best player on the court. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You would think. Every coach in the country, at nearly every level, has a few minutes each game where they try and steal some minutes to give their key guys some rest for the stretch run. When you have a 13 point lead is the perfect time, and you should be able to trust your guys to hold serve and not blow the lead in 3 minutes. 

Was it even 3 mins? lol 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You would think. Every coach in the country, at nearly every level, has a few minutes each game where they try and steal some minutes to give their key guys some rest for the stretch run. When you have a 13 point lead is the perfect time, and you should be able to trust your guys to hold serve and not blow the lead in 3 minutes. 

Which A) I think happens less often than you are portraying and B) is fine and dandy if you have the players to still put out coherent line ups. We don’t. 

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Which A) I think happens less often than you are portraying and B) is fine and dandy if you have the players to still put out coherent line ups. We don’t. 

So you don't rest players, protect them when they have foul trouble or remove them when they are injured?

I love the benefit of your 20/20 hindsight...wish Archie was as smart as you.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just was wondering about the post game thread and the amount of pages in it.  I was wondering since it is just a 5 pages is it due to the game ending late or was it because we won.  It seems like after losses the number of pages are lot more than after wins.

The Iowa postgame thread was only at 6 pages at 8 am the morning after the game.  Relax.

Archived