Wisconsin Postgame Thread

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved the teams effort last night. 

1) Archie seems to have found the guys who want to play winning basketball.  Whether his hands were tied earlier in the season or not, it seems like decreasing a couple player's minutes has improved team chemistry. 

2) Also Race is one heck of a basketball player.  He guards very well and always seems to make the correct play. 

3)I wish Romeo would have shown this intensity all year.

4) Juwan was a tone setter as well.  Strong on offense in the paint.  I wish he'd convert a few more bunnies.  Also stop taking 3s. 

5) We hit some flippin 3s.  We need Rob and Al to continue each getting around 5 good looks a game.

6) Defense was incredible, especially in the 1st half.  Wisconsin had stretches in which they literally were trying everything they could but still could not get a decent shot off. 

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am glad you asked.  I just don't give game balls just for anything. I thought a lot about this one, in particular. Could have given it to Romeo for the game winner. But why give it to a guy we should expect to drive the lane, instead of throw up a wild 3 pointer ?  I hold Romeo to a higher expectation.  And at least on Tuesday night, he at least met that expectation.  I was tempted to give the game ball to De'Ron.... for performing the way he did, after puking his brains out before and during the start of the game. Or even to Race, for his tremendous defense.  There were others that came into consideration.

I gave the milehi game ball to Bruiser for the following reasons. He saw a wrong call. He never gave up, insisting there be a review. Without getting a T called on him which would have hurt the team at the time. Instead, he was right, which helped the team.  He showed the team, that regardless of what the situation is... never give up. The team learned from him.  Hang in there. Continue to battle. And if you do that... good things can happen.  Bottom line for me.... Bruiser was an INSPIRATION to a team that in the past had issues with confidence.  Bruiser showed to the team he believed in them.  And they GAINED confidence in that.

Ok thank you

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Any one could see the ball changed directions after the block.  If the UW did not touch it then there was no way that the ball would have went the direction the ball did because it would have went back the corner of the court.

As we found out in the Iowa game, physics mean nothing when officials are reviewing calls. Balls can magically change direction. It's uncanny.

My takes....

-I may have understated DD’s importance for this team all along when saying we only had a few guys worth a roster spot. His injuries have been the main issue with this team IMO. He allows JW to guard a PF instead of the C when he’s on the floor at the same time, which is huge. He’s also surprisingly tough around the basket offensively. 

-Happy for RL. I’ve been doubting whether he’s got the clutch gene for awhile, but he came up big at the end. 

-We need RP on the floor 35 min per game. DG’s basketball IQ / selfish play kills us. 

-AD needs to be smarter moving forward if he wants to be a contributor. He made three really stupid fouls late in the game that really hurt us on top of the dumb shot with two seconds left.

-JS, outside of the three he shot, played within himself and was a positive contributor. Is he bipolar? 

-EF had two really bad minutes and don’t think he played again. Bipolar too I think. 

-Really like RT and am excited about his future. He really plays hard and doesn’t try to do too much.

-To me, it’s obvious injuries to RP, DD, JH, and RT have really hampered us this year. I truly believe it’s a five game swing at worst if these guys were healthy all year.

-Love how this team doesn’t quit. CAM is doing something right, starting on the defensive end. You can win games with poor O from time to time, but not poor D. 

-Dan Dakich is a clown. I’ve never viewed him as negatively as others until last night. I saw ONE obvious missed call against Wisconsin. Dakich saw about 10 apparently. Somebody needs to tell him that we already know he’s not biased towards IU, but he appears to be the opposite. 

-Still need shooters for next year.

-Wiscy missed a lot of FTs and bunnies, but we deserved a little luck for once. 

46 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Because....we have who else to run the point? 

Rob does a great job, but can't be expected to run the offense without a break. Especially, as a freshman and his first run through league play.

Based on how things have played out, we are going to have to play on either 4 or 5 consecutive days in the BTT if we continue to win. I guess you'd like Archie to run these guys into the ground now so they have absolutely nothing left for that.

I’ve said it many times, if a guy like Green refuses to buy in or make changes to improve, you are doing more harm than good by playing them.  What did Green do to help last night?  He made one three but nullified that with several dumb shots and a mind numbing foul.  I do not care who has to play those minutes to give a guy a breather as long as it is someone that deserves to be out there.  There are several guys that can run the offense for 1-2 minute stretches before a timeout that typically wouldn’t hurt you...Al and Romeo.  Just make sure that one of them are in the game when Phinissee is out.  I would play Jager those couple minutes in a pinch.  I guarantee he would give it all he has and most likely not hurt the situation.

1 minute ago, CTrojan88 said:

I’ve said it many times, if a guy like Green refuses to buy in or make changes to improve, you are doing more harm than good by playing them.  What did Green do to help last night?  He made one three but nullified that with several dumb shots and a mind numbing foul.  I do not care who has to play those minutes to give a guy a breather as long as it is someone that deserves to be out there.  There are several guys that can run the offense for 1-2 minute stretches before a timeout that typically wouldn’t hurt you...Al and Romeo.  Just make sure that one of them are in the game when Phinissee is out.  I would play Jager those couple minutes in a pinch.  I guarantee he would give it all he has and most likely not hurt the situation.

You cannot be serious. You also realize you only see the games correct? Unless you get to see practices regularly I don't understand how your opinion holds any sort of merit when it comes to substituting at all. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You cannot be serious. You also realize you only see the games correct? Unless you get to see practices regularly I don't understand how your opinion holds any sort of merit when it comes to substituting at all. 

Have you seen any improvement in Green in the last two years?  Is he making the same mistakes each and every game?  My opinion, based on what I see is no and yes.  I go to the games and I watch him and his reactions when on the bench.  He pouts, doesn’t pay attention in huddles and is totally disengaged.  If I see that from the stands, coaches on the bench have to see it as well.  I may be way off but playing someone that, most times, does more harm than good, doesn’t seem like a good idea.....especially when he has the balll in his hands most of the time

Just now, CTrojan88 said:

Have you seen any improvement in Green in the last two years?  Is he making the same mistakes each and every game?  My opinion, based on what I see is no and yes.  I go to the games and I watch him and his reactions when on the bench.  He pouts, doesn’t pay attention in huddles and is totally disengaged.  If I see that from the stands, coaches on the bench have to see it as well.  I may be way off but playing someone that, most times, does more harm than good, doesn’t seem like a good idea.....especially when he has the Baal in his hands most of the time

So you simply know more than Archie about this team and who he should play. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So you simply know more than Archie about this team and who he should play. 

It’s a message board, I am giving my opinion which I thought was the basic reason these things existed.  I am also basing it on game performance only because at the end of the day, isn’t that all that matters?  

8 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

It’s a message board, I am giving my opinion which I thought was the basic reason these things existed.  I am also basing it on game performance only because at the end of the day, isn’t that all that matters?  

So yes you know more about the situation than Archie? 

8 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

I believe playing Devonte may have only been better in the sense of the message it sends if you play 4 on 5.  Would Jager have done better?  Doubtful, but I trust CAM on this one, after all, he did put a body on the floor.  Who knew Green would have been so unbelievably abysmal.

Great win men!! 

Defense was terrific! I think we are really going to love watching Archie teams play when we get a little better offesneive players in the system. 

Game becomes a lot easier when you make a few open 3’s! Everyone is beginning  to see how big of an impact the injury’s have made this year. I’d still like to Throw in a top 50 player (Jerome) and see where we are at. 

Really really happy for Race Thompson that kid been through it all and has finally got his chance to impact this team.

i really don’t think we are that far off from the tourney. Every game is massive but I believe we are a lot closer than people think!  

I could really get used to seeing Indiana teams playing their best basketball in late February/March!!

20 minutes ago, CTrojan88 said:

Have you seen any improvement in Green in the last two years?  Is he making the same mistakes each and every game?  My opinion, based on what I see is no and yes.  I go to the games and I watch him and his reactions when on the bench.  He pouts, doesn’t pay attention in huddles and is totally disengaged.  If I see that from the stands, coaches on the bench have to see it as well.  I may be way off but playing someone that, most times, does more harm than good, doesn’t seem like a good idea.....especially when he has the balll in his hands most of the time

I’ve been as critical as anyone over this losing stretch, but Phinisee played 43 minutes, Romeo played 45 minutes, and Durham played 46 minutes... Archie literally had no choice but to play Devonte for a measly 11 minutes.  And the only reason he was in at the end of the second OT was that Durham fouled out.  What other options were there?

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’ve been as critical as anyone over this losing stretch, but Phinisee played 43 minutes, Romeo played 45 minutes, and Durham played 46 minutes... Archie literally had no choice but to play Devonte for a measly 11 minutes.  And the only reason he was in at the end of the second OT was that Durham fouled out.  What other options were there?

I do agree that options were limited.  During the stretch where Wisconsin got back into the game, he should have been pulled immediately after the bad pass and two horrible shots.  He wasnt and the run continued.  If nothing else, call a timeout and get in his face or get him out...

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

My team is on the floor.... I kid I kid

Archived