NBA Thread

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

No way. Lebron is having a monster year and does not need to take ever other day off work. KL is a great player but he is on a different planet than the all time greats 

I might even take AD over Leonard

I'll wait for @Hoosierhoopster to take it from here.  

What KL has done in the last 6 months is nothing short of amazing.  If all 4 of these dudes stay healthy we are going to witness one of the greatest western conference matchups. 

While LeBron, at 34 is putting together his most complete performance, .most are still calling KL the current best.  As of right now this is spliting hairs.  I just hope they stay healthy.  If PG is a Batman, then Davis is like a back up cop that gets "powed", dude carried a decent playoff teams to the #1 pick.  Pg dang near beat LeBron by himself with the pacers before injury.  

22 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'll wait for @Hoosierhoopster to take it from here.  

What KL has done in the last 6 months is nothing short of amazing.  If all 4 of these dudes stay healthy we are going to witness one of the greatest western conference matchups. 

While LeBron, at 34 is putting together his most complete performance, .most are still calling KL the current best.  As of right now this is spliting hairs.  I just hope they stay healthy.  If PG is a Batman, then Davis is like a back up cop that gets "powed", dude carried a decent playoff teams to the #1 pick.  Pg dang near beat LeBron by himself with the pacers before injury.  

When the dynamic duo of PG and KL play in 8 straight finals let me know.  

LBJ single handedly got the Cavs to the finals 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

On their own team.  I was watching throw back games of celts lakers finals this summer.  Byron Scott was a beast.  Way underrated.  Look up those teams stats.  

Look them up. I grew up a Lakers fan.  No need I lived it. Showtime was my life. You think that if Magic played with less talent his numbers would be off the charts. Of the guys we are talking about could go in finals ( as a rookie point guard) start at Center and could give.you 47 15 and 7.  He could do whatever he wanted or his team needed. 

When the dynamic duo of PG and KL play in 8 straight finals let me know.  

LBJ single handedly got the Cavs to the finals 

I already conceded LeBron all time, earlier calling him 1a or 1b.  That playoff run 2 years ago by LeBron was possibly the best ever.  

With what LeBron is doing,  I'd take him for one more run.

Look them up. I grew up a Lakers fan.  No need I lived it. Showtime was my life. You think that if Magic played with less talent his numbers would be off the charts. Of the guys we are talking about could go in finals ( as a rookie point guard) start at Center and could give.you 47 15 and 7.  He could do whatever he wanted or his team needed. 

Back to the original question of duos.  You said you would take Magic and Kareem.  I countered and said that they weren't even the 2 leading scorers on their own team.  Correction,  once.  

Would you take peak Magic or peak Lebron?

20 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I already conceded LeBron all time, earlier calling him 1a or 1b.  That playoff run 2 years ago by LeBron was possibly the best ever.  

With what LeBron is doing,  I'd take him for one more run.

For 1 season I would take LBJ over anyone and take AD and LBJ over any other duo that is currently together.  KL and PG would be number 2 for me

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Back to the original question of duos.  You said you would take Magic and Kareem.  I countered and said that they weren't even the 2 leading scorers on their own team.  Correction,  once.  

Magic did not have to be. If his team needed 40 he would give you 40  they need 15 dimes he got it. 

3 years ago I would have still taken Magic, today Lebron 

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'd go LeBron either way, but you'd have to differentiate between physical peak LeBron and overall game peak LeBron.  When he was 21-22-23.....Christ, it wasn't fair.  6'9" 250 should not move like that.  But, as he's gotten older, I'd say his overall game has gotten better.  He's still a physical freak, but he's not on another planet like he used to be.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

How effective would Kareem be in this era?  I was just a hair too young and he was on the decline when I was growing up.  

With today's training methods and techniques, I think he'd do quite well.  For the time, he was a very athletic big man and I think you could capitalize on that.  Keep in mind, he was only 225 lbs at his peak, breaking the mold of what you'd expect out of a '70s/'80s post player (big, bulky, etc). 

IMO, you'd see something like Anthony Davis. 

• Thanks 1

Idk great question.  I tell you this Curry could not have wiped the rear end of players in the 80's let alone be a star

He's not as tough as Reggie however he's 20 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller than John Stockton, with the best shot ever.  He'd be alright, let's not get crazy here.  We fantasize the old rugged NBA because of all the highlights of hard fouls we see but if you go back and watch games, the conditioning, speed, and athleticism of today's game is superior.  Sure flagrant were a common foul, hand checking was allowed but I challenge you as I did this summer.  Go back and watch full games.  Finals games.  It's actually a let down.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

He's not as tough as Reggie however he's 20 lbs heavier and 2 inches taller than John Stockton, with the best shot ever.  He'd be alright, let's not get crazy here.  We fantasize the old rugged NBA because of all the highlights of hard fouls we see but if you go back and watch games, the conditioning, speed, and athleticism of today's game is superior.  Sure flagrant were a common foul, hand checking was allowed but I challenge you as I did this summer.  Go back and watch full games.  Finals games.  It's actually a let down.

80' not 90's. The NBA changed the rules for Michael. In the 80's it was always brutal and physical.  Many of todays player's could adapt and play just like the old guys could adapt to todays game that's why many are great. 

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Also, I love that this is becoming the more common question being asked.  I always hated the "LeBron vs MJ" debates.  Totally different games. 

Jordan was a sniper, LeBron is a facilitator, and they were/are really damn good at what they did.

Now....Kobe vs MJ....that can be looked at (IMO, still no contest...Jordan, but Kobe is one of the few that can be legitimately compared).

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

80' not 90's. The NBA changed the rules for Michael. In the 80's it was always brutal and physical.  Many of todays player's could adapt and play just like the old guys could adapt to todays game that's why many are great. 

Zero doubts that if you dropped LeBron into 1984, he could drive the lane and handle it....and probably dish a little out at the same time. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Isaiah Thomas 6 180 lb

Mark Price 6ft 170

I've now listed three guards that were all time players and NBA All-Stars of the 80s or early 90s that are all smaller than Steph Curry and couldn't shoot anywhere close to what he can shoot.  Price is close % wise but never avg more than 20 points a game.  

19 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Isaiah Thomas 6 180 lb

Mark Price 6ft 170

I've now listed three guards that were all time players and NBA All-Stars of the 80s or early 90s that are all smaller than Steph Curry and couldn't shoot anywhere close to what he can shoot.  Price is close % wise but never avg more than 20 points a game.  

I just dont think Curry has that toughness the guys you mentioned did. He might if he had to but I personally dont see it. I see a very talented, gifted whiny player

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I said it when he went to OKC and nothing has changed. PG will thrive in the role of Robin. He is not a Batman and when asked to he we saw the results 0-16 in game winners. Dont bring up that he has several last year without Russ and this year without KL. I know but over the course of a season he is not a #1. Knowing he does not have to carry the team I feel is the best thing for PG. I could see him winning am MVP next to KL.

Wait, don't bring up last year? Why on Earth do you think that has any justification l?  Oh wait, how many game winners / end of shot clock winners did PG have last season? Oh yeah, more than anyone else in the NBA. That narrative is dead. I guess you just missed it, or prefer to ignore it to suit your narrative? 

So, over the course of a season. Please identify the Robins who were the 2nd leading scorers in the NBA, who were the NBA leaders in steals and steals per game, who were #3 in 3-pointers made, who were in the final 3 for League MVP and Defensive MVP, all in the same season? I can't wait to hear about all of these Robins. Please sign them to my team. And yes, that was over the course of a season, another dead narrative. He was, hands down, as recognized by literally everyone except you, the best player on the Thunder last year, he was carrying that team and they fell apart with his two shoulder injuries. But you can continue to pretend he's some kind of Robin, for whatever that matters, OK.

• Like 1