NBA Thread

8 hours ago, rico said:

per hoopsrumors.com

• While James and Davis are widely expected to remain in Los Angeles going forward, Russell Westbrook‘s future is cloudier. According to Charania, rival executives believe the Pacers will be open to discussing trades involving Malcolm Brogdon and Buddy Hield and could emerge as a Westbrook suitor, which is something Marc Stein suggested over the weekend. While Brogdon and Hield would be good fits on the Lakers’ roster, L.A. would likely have to attach sweeteners to Westbrook to realistically make any deal with Indiana.

Lakers have nothing that is worth attaching as sweetener to take an on albatross like Westbrook. Maybe if they had their first round pick this season, but since they don't Pritchard needs to hang up anytime someone from the Lakers calls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Lakers have nothing that is worth attaching as sweetener to take an on albatross like Westbrook. Maybe if they had their first round pick this season, but since they don't Pritchard needs to hang up anytime someone from the Lakers calls.

Yeah, they can't trade a first rounder until 2027. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Why don't or why can't the Lakers be the one that buys out Westbrook?

They need something in return. Buying him out doesn't get them under the cap to where they can sign another big time free agent. 

Really the only bargaining chip they have is that he's an expiring contract. They need warm bodies to put around LeBron and Davis. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They need something in return. Buying him out doesn't get them under the cap to where they can sign another big time free agent. 

Really the only bargaining chip they have is that he's an expiring contract. They need warm bodies to put around LeBron and Davis. 

No one took on John Wall.  Who and why would anyone take Westbrook?  Especially the pacers.  The expiring contract means nothing for a small market unattractive team who's best free agent signing in 20 years is David West.  Back to Westbrook, it's amazing a guy so good can be so unaware and unwilling, even unable to change as a player.  

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

So does a buyout not change their cap situation?

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

No one took on John Wall.  Who and why would anyone take Westbrook?  Especially the pacers.  The expiring contract means nothing for a small market unattractive team who's best free agent signing in 20 years is David West.  Back to Westbrook, it's amazing a guy so good can be so unaware and unwilling, even unable to change as a player.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for the Pacers making a Westbrook trade. 

Just saying the Lakers need to get something in return for Westbrook, as he is their only remotely tradeable asset not including LeBron or Davis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

So does a buyout not change their cap situation?

I haven't looked at their cap sheet, but with LeBron and Davis, I'm assuming their still over the cap, or at least not far enough under to add anyone of significance. 

Also, when you're under the cap you can't use those $5-8 million dollar signing exceptions or whatever they are. 

Their only options are too move Westbrook for a couple warm bodies that can shoot and/or play D, or find a 3rd star willing to pull a Simmons unless they get traded to LA. 

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So far not looking good for the Cavs against the Nets down by 16 at the half. Need the Cavs to either win this one or the next play in game for the Pacers to get the Cavs 1st round pick.

I would be ok with them not getting the Cavs pick this year. I really haven't looked but supposedly next years is a deeper draft.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I would be ok with them not getting the Cavs pick this year. I really haven't looked but supposedly next years is a deeper draft.

I think I would like it this year because it will be in the range of 16-18. If the Cavs stay healthy next year you might be looking somewhere in the 20's.also with a top 5-6 pick this year to go along a pick around 16 and the 33rd pick we cod set up good for the future.

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think I would like it this year because it will be in the range of 16-18. If the Cavs stay healthy next year you might be looking somewhere in the 20's.also with a top 5-6 pick this year to go along a pick around 16 and the 33rd pick we cod set up good for the future.

Possible but anything can happen,this year the highest it can be is 16. Next year Cleveland might be good but there is also a chance they suck and the pick could be a lot higher.

On 4/12/2022 at 7:24 AM, rico said:

per hoopsrumors.com

• While James and Davis are widely expected to remain in Los Angeles going forward, Russell Westbrook‘s future is cloudier. According to Charania, rival executives believe the Pacers will be open to discussing trades involving Malcolm Brogdon and Buddy Hield and could emerge as a Westbrook suitor, which is something Marc Stein suggested over the weekend. While Brogdon and Hield would be good fits on the Lakers’ roster, L.A. would likely have to attach sweeteners to Westbrook to realistically make any deal with Indiana.

Sweetener would have to be a top 10 pick…and they don’t have one. Have to move Davis likely to get that….Brogdon and Turner are always hurt. Whatever we can do to flip the roster and open up cap space in 2022 or 2023 sounds good to me…especially if we have multiple top 10 picks (including Halliburton) to build around.

On 4/12/2022 at 4:09 PM, Hoosier51 said:

It’s why I think the Davis for Randle trade works because Randle wore out his welcome in NY and would warrant NY first coming back. Plus if Davis stays healthy that is an upgrade and perhaps they could pair a young star with him. 

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

It’s why I think the Davis for Randle trade works because Randle wore out his welcome in NY and would warrant NY first coming back. Plus if Davis stays healthy that is an upgrade and perhaps they could pair a young star with him. 

Davis is starting to get to that point where teams are not going to want to trade for him because of his injury history. He misses so many games in a season anymore that trading for him would be a huge gamble. That being said it is the Knicks under Dolson you are talking about and no one has ever accused them of being smart so it is possible with them.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Davis is starting to get to that point where teams are not going to want to trade for him because of his injury history. He misses so many games in a season anymore that trading for him would be a huge gamble. That being said it is the Knicks under Dolson you are talking about and no one has ever accused them of being smart so it is possible with them.

No they aren’t. They gave Randle a max contract to prove it. I’d take 3 more years of AD who would be much easier to flip later in his contract than 4 more of Randle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

No they aren’t. They gave Randle a max contract to prove it. I’d take 3 more years of AD who would be much easier to flip later in his contract than 4 more of Randle.

Randle is so weird, he looked like he was starting to be a decent player for them but now someone they will probably get rid of and very few teams will want to trade much for.

• Like 1