NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

None of the teams above us want to trade down....they don't want to win now. Detroit, OKC, Orlando, Houston don't want veterans...they want/need those high picks more than quantity. If we land the 4 spot we have a 12% chance...just two percent less than the top 3 who all have 14%. That 4th spot is critical if we want a chance to land who we want....nobody will trade down past the top 3-4 as they aren't wanting to win now. We need that stud franchise piece than build on the fly similar to Atl/CLE/MEM....if we strike out...then it will certainly prolong our rebuild. We can use those picks and assets to move up with our second 1st from Cleveland into maybe the back end of the lottery but we aren't getting into the top 4.

I think there is a significant amount more nuance than you’re allowing for. 

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think there is a significant amount more nuance than you’re allowing for. 

There is a lot of nuance....but for the sake of arguement and I'm perfectly willing to change my mind if you can convince me but which team currently ahead of us would trade back? Orlando.....Detroit....Houston....or OKC. They have all been tanking for multiple years to get multiple young stars....the top of the draft is largely considered to be 4 guys and then a pretty significant gap. The Pacers have a significantly different view. They aren't wanting to take multiple seasons tanking. They want to get a high pick and then reload and win on the fly and get back into the playoffs next year. None of those other teams want to make the playoffs next year...they are in the middle of significant tanking/rebuilds. They won't want Turner/Brogdon or picks in the 20s. What we can do is package either of those two for more first rd picks/move up that Cleveland pick from the 20's into perhaps the 10-15 range. This would be our best scenario....finish 4th and maybe get lucky to move up with the ping pong balls and get Ivey/Smith/Banchero and then use Brogdon/Turner plus Cav pick to move up and select another young talented kid that might slip out of the top 10. That would give us an excellent young nucleus of Halliburton, top 4 pick, Duarte, guy taken in similar range to Duarte, and Jackson to build with. Heild/Turner/Brogdon should all be used to move up the Cleveland pick/get another young asset similar to how we landed Halliburton. I don't see any of those guys helping us get say the #1 or #2 pick if we finish 5th or 6th.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

There is a lot of nuance....but for the sake of arguement and I'm perfectly willing to change my mind if you can convince me but which team currently ahead of us would trade back? Orlando.....Detroit....Houston....or OKC. They have all been tanking for multiple years to get multiple young stars....the top of the draft is largely considered to be 4 guys and then a pretty significant gap. The Pacers have a significantly different view. They aren't wanting to take multiple seasons tanking. They want to get a high pick and then reload and win on the fly and get back into the playoffs next year. None of those other teams want to make the playoffs next year...they are in the middle of significant tanking/rebuilds. They won't want Turner/Brogdon or picks in the 20s. What we can do is package either of those two for more first rd picks/move up that Cleveland pick from the 20's into perhaps the 10-15 range. This would be our best scenario....finish 4th and maybe get lucky to move up with the ping pong balls and get Ivey/Smith/Banchero and then use Brogdon/Turner plus Cav pick to move up and select another young talented kid that might slip out of the top 10. That would give us an excellent young nucleus of Halliburton, top 4 pick, Duarte, guy taken in similar range to Duarte, and Jackson to build with. Heild/Turner/Brogdon should all be used to move up the Cleveland pick/get another young asset similar to how we landed Halliburton. I don't see any of those guys helping us get say the #1 or #2 pick if we finish 5th or 6th.

I don't know what all of those teams are going to be thinking come June when they look at the free agent land scape.

You act like the good but still young vet on a reasonable contract is the center piece of the trade and not another asset for those teams in asset collection mode. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't know what all of those teams are going to be thinking come June when they look at the free agent land scape.

You act like the good but still young vet on a reasonable contract is the center piece of the trade and not another asset for those teams in asset collection mode. 

Very good point.....I just think our guys like Brogdon and Turner and Heild won't land us a lot of value in return. Mostly late first rd picks if that....I don't see any of those teams ahead of us interested in late firsts but we will see. I'd be shocked if we move up in the draft into the top 3 lets say if we finish outside that position. Those teams I think will be locked in as that has been their goal all year....just like it has been our goal. Not really any compensation is worth passing on those guys. To me the value our young vets possess would be in a trade to a team like say New York or Memphis/Charlotte or Portland (8-14 range) who are wanting to get back into the playoffs next year and improve their team right away or help give them more fire power to get over the top (Memphis). Adding starting caliber players on reasonable contracts (Turner/Brogdon) to maybe replace guys they can't afford to re-sign etc. I could see Heild being retained for another year as his contract isn't great but he could play well off younger guys spotting up and then see if we can move him closer to trade deadline or on the last year of his contract.

Edited by dgambill

32 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Mardi Gras float that was not very flattering for Zion

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mardi-gras-parade-float-pokes-172536204.html

Dude has an addition almost as bad as a drug addiction.  He needs to be checked into a fat farm or something.  Would not surprise me that he eats himself to death and never plays again.

54 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Dude has an addition almost as bad as a drug addiction.  He needs to be checked into a fat farm or something.  Would not surprise me that he eats himself to death and never plays again.

Meanwhile he is making Mountain Dew/Doritos commercials while playing video games lol.

Heard he is pulling an AD and demanding to be traded out. Not sure I'd put my money on him being a franchise player despite his incredible talent.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Meanwhile he is making Mountain Dew/Doritos commercials while playing video games lol.

Heard he is pulling an AD and demanding to be traded out. Not sure I'd put my money on him being a franchise player despite his incredible talent.

They could trade him to Frischs they need a new bug boy. Otherwise I don't see many suitors linig up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I can't imagine anyone giving him a long-term contract right now if they traded for him, he's barely played and appears to be a kinda bad teammate. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 11:56 AM, 5fouls said:

Ja Morant played college at Murray State.  Just goes to show you can't always rely on recruiting rankings.  Hoosier Nation would have been beside itself had we recruited a 'mid-major' talent.  

I watched Ja in person as a freshman he was very much trying to adjust to the speed of the game and understand the game and learning to make players better he was playing with. Still developing physically....you could see he had elite athleticism and that he was going to be special but by no means was he on the NBA 1st rd watch....much less lottery...then he worked very hard that offseason and when he took the floor as a sophomore and some senior leadership graduated....my oh my did he take off!

Edited by dgambill