NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Boston seems to have paid a lot for White, they traded Richardson, Romeo and their 2022 1st top 4 protected.

Yeah, I haven't really read up on the trade yet, but that seems like an awful lot for a guy who is basically Josh Richardson, excepte White is a worse shooter. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I haven't really read up on the trade yet, but that seems like an awful lot for a guy who is basically Josh Richardson, excepte White is a worse shooter. 

White is a good player but throwing that first in seems like a bit of an overpay. 

I do like Romeo going to the Spurs, Pop might get him to reach his potential.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 2

White is a good player but throwing that first in seems like a bit of an overpay.

I do like Romeo going to the Spurs, Pop might get him to reach his potential.

Huge overpay (relatively speaking, we're talking role players here). I'm fine with moving 1st round picks, the Celtics need quality veterans, not more young players, but I don't see how White is that much of an upgrade over Richardson, if he is even an upgrade at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Huge overpay (relatively speaking, we're talking role players here). I'm fine with moving 1st round picks, the Celtics need quality veterans, not more young players, but I don't see how White is that much of an upgrade over Richardson, if he is even an upgrade at all. 

I think White is a better defender, but Richardson is probably the better shooter. Celtics have three open roster spots now, don't they?

Giving the Spurs 2028 swap rights seems kind of odd.

Edited by Hoosier51

I think White is a better defender, but Richardson is probably the better shooter. Celtics have three open roster spots now, don't they?

Maybe, the Celtics have the best defense in the NBA since Christmas, so not sure defense is something they needed to address. 

I'm sure there are some salary implications with not only moving Richardson and Langford, but also not having to pay another 1st round pick. Maybe it opens up some flexibility for the summer.

Haven't looked at the roster, but yes they should have some space. They also moved Dozier and Bol today with no players returning in that deal. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I have always like D. white. If the celts were trying to get PG help, then he will certainly help in that area. I watched him lead the Austin spurs to the G-League title and he has been good with the spurs.  Would rather have him than Richardson. 

Just read that while White's 3pt percentage isn't great this year, the one spot it is really strong (46%) is from the corners, and that is where this role spends a lot of time playing off Tatum/Brown. 

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

@BGleas you think Morrey won this?  He's on blast everywhere.  Why the two additional picks?  Does he think he'll be Nets GM in a few years? 

I don’t know that he lost it. Who knows where Ben Simmons head is at? If he can't handle Philly, how does he handle New York?

I'm not a Harden guy (also not a Simmons guy), but Morey and Harden apparently really like each other, so if Harden plays nice for a season or two it could be a good deal for them. 

I think the 2nd first round pick was a sweetener to not include Thybulle (who the Nets wanted), who the Nets wanted. 

The goal is to maximize Embiid while he's healthy and they needed another star. Waiting on Dame is a gamble and he's getting old and isn't that big, maybe waiting for Beal this summer was the better option. 

But, they needed another star, Harden when engaged is a legit star, and there weren't a ton of other options. 

This was basically two teams swapping headaches. It's a gamble on both sides. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Glad to see Romeo leave Boston.  Just didn't seem like he had any future there.  New city, new coach, new system.  Hope the Celtics and their fans look back at this trade 5 years from now and regret it.  

Amen.  Hoping for a bright future for Romeo with the Spurs as well.

• Like 3