March Madness thread

rico

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The only thing he has ever been in trouble for is a BBQ at his home. Is that really deserving of the title dirty? Do you buy from Nike or Amazon? Those organizations are a lot dirtier than Bruce Pearl. 

So you think Person was acting on his own in the bribery case and lieing to the ncaa and his other violations were nothjng. Trust me I was friends with guys on the team at USI...cars, debit cards with money...no wonder a couple years later USI got in trouble..it was the same stuff he was doing when he was there. heck he even was in trouble for recording recruits phone calls as an assistant at Iowa. He is passionate guy...loves his players and a good ball coach...but you will never convince me he isn’t dirty...I’ve seen too much.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Maybe I'm a bit jaded because IU beat MSU twice this year but it's amazing that they are even in the final 4.  They definitely overachieved this year.  That said, this Texas Tech team is very, very well coached and fun to watch.  They clearly look like the better team. 

I'm immensely enjoying this Final Four for no other reason than we came very close to having Duke, Kentucky, and Purdue in it.  That would have been impossible to enjoy.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

I'm immensely enjoying this Final Four for no other reason than we came very close to having Duke, Kentucky, and Purdue in it.  That would have been impossible to enjoy.  

As much as I dislike Duke and Kentucky I would have needed depression medication if PU won a banner.  

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

So you think Person was acting on his own in the bribery case and lieing to the ncaa and his other violations were nothjng. Trust me I was friends with guys on the team at USI...cars, debit cards with money...no wonder a couple years later USI got in trouble..it was the same stuff he was doing when he was there. heck he even was in trouble for recording recruits phone calls as an assistant at Iowa. He is passionate guy...loves his players and a good ball coach...but you will never convince me he isn’t dirty...I’ve seen too much.

Not sure on the Person stuff. Person got in trouble for keeping his own cut and it was pretty small amounts. 

Even if it was just blatant paying players by Pearl... Why does that ever equate to being a bad guy? It isn't breaking a law, you can argue it's the right thing to do morally .. why do we say guys are bad for that? 

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Not to pick on you because you are far from the only person to feel this way, but WHY should officials ignore obvious fouls at the end of the game?  I have never agreed with that.  If it's a foul, it's a foul!  If you allow defenders to hack away just because it's the end of the game, you make it unfairly difficult for the offense to score at the end of the game.  Call the fouls.  I'm sick of ugly hacking Wisconsin-style defense.  It's ruining the beauty of the game.

...and without question, Guy was fouled.  It was a stupid foul, frankly, but even homer Charles Barkley admitted it was a foul.

Again, not disagreeing with you, but why do you decide to defend the officiating in this game versus the 100 dreds of others that weren't officiated that way?

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

I will be more interested to see how Rob, Race, Hunter and Archie’s recruits react on their Senior days. Had to be mixed emotions for any kid recruited by Crean. 

Morgan was a warrior. Why not leave his legacy at that instead of questioning how he went out?

I didn’t question how he went out. Just said I thought there would have been a little more emotion/connection between player and coach publicly on senior night. Maybe there is and we just didn’t see it publicly, which is entirely possible. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Not sure on the Person stuff. Person got in trouble for keeping his own cut and it was pretty small amounts. 

Even if it was just blatant paying players by Pearl... Why does that ever equate to being a bad guy? It isn't breaking a law, you can argue it's the right thing to do morally .. why do we say guys are bad for that? 

If you have to ask that question then I don’t have a response for you. Breaking the rules makes him a saint I guess. 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Texas Tech reaping big big benefits from grad transfers.  Even more-so than we got from Bielfeldt a few years ago.  It seems like that is the best way to put a team over the top these days.  

I think it’s a great way to even out classes and find a veteren player at a position of need. 

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I didn’t question how he went out. Just said I thought there would have been a little more emotion/connection between player and coach publicly on senior night. Maybe there is and we just didn’t see it publicly, which is entirely possible. 

I think in the post game of the final nit Archie was more praising of J-Mo. 

Just now, CincyHoosier said:

The big question after this tournament for me is what does Chris Beard do? I mean he could have his pick of big coaching jobs when they open up. 

If I were him, I would stay put.  No reason to make a move yet, if ever.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Texas Tech reaping big big benefits from grad transfers.  Even more-so than we got from Bielfeldt a few years ago.  It seems like that is the best way to put a team over the top these days.  

Of the Final Four teams, they are the only ones with a grad transfer that provided any meaningful my

1 minute ago, IUskim said:

I think in the post game of the final nit Archie was more praising of J-Mo. 

Absolutely. That’s not really what I was talking about though. I know Archie think Morgan is a fantastic player. I was more commenting on the emotional aspect of the player-coach relationship. I fully realize I have absolutely no idea what their relationship is really like, just commenting on the senior night program. 

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He's passionate, intelligent and yes, dirty.  I don't think anyone who has followed Pearl's career closely could come to any other conclusion.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe so, but it was still very weird that the coach did not draw the crowd into it by talking about the Seniors on Senior Day.

That’s true or maybe he just wanted to be all about the seniors and let them talk. Who knows. Maybe he just prefers to keep that all behind closed doors. 

Archived