March Madness thread

rico

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can you imagine the same interview under the same circumstances with Bob Knight.  All we would have heard was one big, long bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

If Pearl is Vito, Knight is Sonny. Same honorable intentions, but more of a temper and a quicker trigger finger.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Honest answer, can't be denied. Sorry but I am still screaming at the officiating! This is just something that right or wrong is almost never called in the last second of the game!!! Made even worse for the miss of the double dribble?

I think the foul call, and the non-foul call, were correct.  Both would have been a moot point if the double dribble had been properly called.

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Bruce Pearl held his tongue in the post-game interview.  A lot of coaches would not have done that.  

The way our fan base talks about Pearl is a referendum on our fans, not Pearl. He gets talked about like he is scum, but the reality is I think you'd have a hard time finding a coach who cares more for his players. I would sign my kid up to play for him in a heartbeat. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

The way our fan base talks about Pearl is a referendum on our fans, not Pearl. He gets talked about like he is scum, but the reality is I think you'd have a hard time finding a coach who cares more for his players. I would sign my kid up to play for him in a heartbeat. 

Oh heck yeah...they’d have school paid for...I’d get a sack of cash and I wouldn’t have to pay for my kid to drive a brand new car! I get it...I played open gym at USI with the team and been around Pearl a ton..he is charismatic and seems a nice guy...but that doesn’t mean he isn’t dirty.

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree. I don’t like his recruiting tactics, I don’t mind playing the game, but I think he’s too far over the line. But, I love how much he loves and cares about his players. I love his passion. Not to turn this into an Archie thing, and I’m an Archie supporter, but of my few criticisms one is that there doesn’t seem to be enough emotion and passion around the program. It seems like a pretty cold relationship between players and their coach. 

We could use some of Pearl’s passion and emotion. 

Just now, Zlinedavid said:

And this is part of the reason why I just listen to the radio streams vs watch the broadcasts most of the time.

You know what is funny is people all last week or so have been defending Izzo for being hard and yelling at his players etc but Knight is vilified for it.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Oh heck yeah...they’d have school paid for...I’d get a sack of cash and I wouldn’t have to pay for my kid to drive a brand new car! I get it...I played open gym at USI with the team and been around Pearl a ton..he is charismatic and seems a nice guy...but that doesn’t mean he isn’t dirty.

The only thing he has ever been in trouble for is a BBQ at his home. Is that really deserving of the title dirty? Do you buy from Nike or Amazon? Those organizations are a lot dirtier than Bruce Pearl. 

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Not   sure I agree with this, but I would not have a problem with my kid's playing for him.

Just now, BGleas said:

Agree. I don’t like his recruiting tactics, I don’t mind playing the game, but I think he’s too far over the line. But, I love how much he loves and cares about his players. I love his passion. Not to turn this into an Archie thing, and I’m an Archie supporter, but of my few criticisms one is that there doesn’t seem to be enough emotion and passion around the program. It seems like a pretty cold relationship between players and their coach. 

I’ll one up that...Pearl has a big heart and very charismatic. No questions for me about that...he would even cheer on the lady vols etc...he is all about his school.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You know what is funny is people all last week or so have been defending Izzo for being hard and yelling at his players etc but Knight is vilified for it.

There could be a 100 page thread arguing how Izzo being hard and RMK being hard were apples and oranges. As an example  did Izzo  lose 3 of his last 4 burger boys because they just couldn’t take it anymore? 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

To your last point, I was at Senior Day and was surprised at how little emotion Archie showed when introducing the players.  And, the players gave much more love to Crean,  Even Fitzner, Archie's own recruit, did not even mention Archie.

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Sorry but that is never the way officials call the last second!!!

Not to pick on you because you are far from the only person to feel this way, but WHY should officials ignore obvious fouls at the end of the game?  I have never agreed with that.  If it's a foul, it's a foul!  If you allow defenders to hack away just because it's the end of the game, you make it unfairly difficult for the offense to score at the end of the game.  Call the fouls.  I'm sick of ugly hacking Wisconsin-style defense.  It's ruining the beauty of the game.

...and without question, Guy was fouled.  It was a stupid foul, frankly, but even homer Charles Barkley admitted it was a foul.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To your last point, I was at Senior Day and was surprised at how little emotion Archie showed when introducing the players.  And, the players gave much more love to Crean,  Even Fitzner, Archie's own recruit, did not even mention Archie.

It was weird watching on video too  I was disappointed Archie didn’t speak about each guy individually. I also thought it was weird that there didn’t seem to be any emotion or a greater connection between Archie and Morgan. I know the wins haven’t been great the last two years, but where would Archie and Morgan be without each other?

Morgan flourished under Archie, and for Archie, Morgan was really the only stabilizing force the last two years  

The only interaction was Morgan complaining about playing the 5 

Archived