Jalen Windham Commits to Creighton

Coach Robby

Sounds like TJD likes playing with him. I believe the Indy Star article mentioned TJD has been in his ear about coming to Bloomington. 

I also like the fact that he has played with and and against highly rated recruits and has held his own. He played with Henry at BD and with TJD and Brooks in AAU. 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Sounds like TJD likes playing with him. I believe the Indy Star article mentioned TJD has been in his ear about coming to Bloomington. 

I also like the fact that he has played with and and against highly rated recruits and has held his own. He played with Henry and Anderson at BD and with TJD and Brooks in AAU. 

Anderson?

Sign him up!  People complain about 5 star prima Donna's, one and dones, and how some unheralded players from the state seem to blow up at other schools.  This kid is capable of that, rather he blow up at IU.  IMO stars and rankings don't matter, and aren't always right, look at the Final Four teams this year.

I'm kind of at the point where let's let Archie do Archie and then see where the chips fall. No sense in getting all upset about recruiting, Archie is going to build the team, and who he's able to recruit and how he's able to develop them and build the culture/team is going to dictate how successful the program is. As we've seen this season there are multiple ways to achieve what we hope for. I personally believe in him and think he can do it. 

It's also hard for me to wish we had landed that kid at Belmont and a couple other Indiana kids that were unheralded and then complain about this one. I've never seen him play but going by what other posters are saying and his stats it seems like a really good culture fit. 

I think culture is so critical in building a program and if you look at guys like Phinisee, TJD, Franklin, Windham potentially, Brunk and hopefully Hunter, those are some great culture guys to help establish and solidify the program. 

With all that being said, my concern is do we have have enough high-end talent? I don't want to make it all about rankings because we saw this weekend and this season how that can backfire, but of the guys I listed 4 are ranked outside the top 100, and I really do think we need an upgrade at the guard spot. I just hope we have enough guys who can put the ball in the basket.

3 hours ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I also like the fact that he has played with and and against highly rated recruits and has held his own. He played with Henry at BD and with TJD and Brooks in AAU. 

If that's the case, you have to presume the staff is behind the scenes encouraging TJD to help them in their recruiting efforts.    Be a little awkward for all parties if TJD's bending his ear and the staff is shakin' their heads no, no, no!

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd be curious to hear if he has the quickness to defend the wing at the high major level?  You've got to get onto some pretty good 6'6 guys who are crazy-athletic.

I believe so, yes. I’d go on a limb to say he may have a higher ceiling than Franklin...like I said, on a limb!

Just now, Coach Robby said:

I believe so, yes. I’d go on a limb to say he may have a higher ceiling than Franklin...like I said, on a limb!

Thanks, Coach!  I appreciate the intel.

I don't know the player but will try to look at some vids later.  

But I agree that we need culture guys.  The whole mentality of the team needs overhauled.  If this guy figuratively pours nails into his bowl in the morning and eats them, I am all in.

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I'd be curious to hear if he has the quickness to defend the wing at the high major level?  You've got to get onto some pretty good 6'6 guys who are crazy-athletic.

There are very few kids that play in the MIC in football or basketball that lack quickness. 

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks, Coach!  I appreciate the intel.

I don't know the player but will try to look at some vids later.  

But I agree that we need culture guys.  The whole mentality of the team needs overhauled.  If this guy figuratively pours nails into his bowl in the morning and eats them, I am all in.

Thats not a very good measuring stick for talent.  Eating my moms cooking was like eating gravel and i was a really good shooter in highschool....did not translate into me being good enough to play at IU (although I woulda jumped at the chance!!!!).

36 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’d take a 3star from Indiana over most 4 stars from other states.  This state has excellent high school coaches that still teach the game the way it’s meant to be played.  Sign him up!

I challenge someone to show me the avg difference between some rated 350th to 150th in production in college. 

Archived