What Needs to Change in 2019-20?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ib4IU said:

We need to play with some passion and fire. Not take plays off. No more going through the motions. 

Absolutely, and this goes back to culture, which takes time to build. One thing I've be struck by while watching the tournament is how much harder these teams play compared to this years IU team. It's been prettying striking in my opinion. Some of these teams are definitely more talented than IU and most are much more experienced (which absolutely matters), but they almost all play not just harder but consistently harder. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, and this goes back to culture, which takes time to build. One thing I've be struck by while watching the tournament is how much harder these teams play compared to this years IU team. It's been prettying striking in my opinion. Some of these teams are definitely more talented than IU and most are much more experienced (which absolutely matters), but they almost all play not just harder but consistently harder. 

Agree. Dakich says it all the time but if you sprint rather than jog it opens guys up. It’s true. I hate agreeing with Dakich but our guys jog around a screen. There are rarely hard cuts or anything resembling intensity at all

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

make better decisions and not have the I gotta get mine mentality.  

Actually, if Romeo comes back, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more "gotta get mine".  Maybe not in those terms exactly, more like "This game is mine".  He's got the talent to do it. 

6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

In regard to #3, what does he mean by “they turned it into a half court league”?  I get that the Big Ten generally plays at a slower, more physical pace than other conferences, but is he referring to anything specific?

The discussion about Archie’s “transition offense” is frustrating to me.  We were terrible in transition this year.  We had the athletes to get out and run, and we hardly ever did.  I don’t see how that’s the Big Ten’s fault.

Issue with our transition offense is three fold...for one we don't rebound well....so hard to get out in transition. Two...we don't have guys to space floor at 3pt line etc to create driving lanes or people to kick to....thus teams get back into the lane and then we back it out. Finally we had a freshman pg...and a sophomore two...so we didn't have experienced guys leading the break. I think it should get better but if we don't improve our spacing and shooting...we won't run an efficient transition game.

33 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

Agree. Dakich says it all the time but if you sprint rather than jog it opens guys up. It’s true. I hate agreeing with Dakich but our guys jog around a screen. There are rarely hard cuts or anything resembling intensity at all

People run hard off screens when they think they can get open for a shot.....none of our guys can shoot so why put the effort to run hard off a screen?? None of our guys are the type to come hard off a screen and catch and pop. Also our offense doesn't emphasize many off ball screens...mostly a weave and hand off screens out top....I really don't like it!

I told my wife in this last game just watch how many times someone just needs to stand in front of Justin Smith and watch him head to the other end . Not even try to get around the guy to get a rebound! Not to just pick on Justin they all this whole team had a habit of taking plays off and stand and watch. 

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

People run hard off screens when they think they can get open for a shot.....none of our guys can shoot so why put the effort to run hard off a screen?? None of our guys are the type to come hard off a screen and catch and pop. Also our offense doesn't emphasize many off ball screens...mostly a weave and hand off screens out top....I really don't like it!

Bottom line if effort is ever brought into question then along with it is the question of the competitive drive of the guys you’re talking about. Some of these guys do NOT hate losing and barely even want to win.

13 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Actually, if Romeo comes back, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more "gotta get mine".  Maybe not in those terms exactly, more like "This game is mine".  He's got the talent to do it. 

i don't think there's any way Romeo comes back, but i would agree with you if he does.  i'm talking about some others that i hope are not back.

4 coaches in 17 years. Eventually you have to stick with 1. I for one am embarrassed in our fans if we think it would be wise to discuss moving on from Archie...even if next year is disappointing. Our fans are one of the greatest attributes of our program but really starting to think our fans are our biggest problem. Whether it's expectations, thinking we know better....or can coach better...or whatever. 

I'll keep saying the same thing. Shows how truly great Knight was to keep our fans in line and win at the highest level.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

4 coaches in 17 years. Eventually you have to stick with 1. I for one am embarrassed in our fans if we think it would be wise to discuss moving on from Archie...even if next year is disappointing. Our fans are one of the greatest attributes of our program but really starting to think our fans are our biggest problem. Whether it's expectations, thinking we know better....or can coach better...or whatever. 

I'll keep saying the same thing. Shows how truly great Knight was to keep our fans in line and win at the highest level.

Just a few months ago the PU fans were getting restless and griping that their coach couldn't recruit the top players needed to to win big.  Today they're rightfully happy.

No doubt we're all disappointed in this past season and believed we'd be farther along than what we are.  I seriously doubt anyone believes Archie has instilled his style of play and roster make up yet.  You have to judge a coach on his system and consistency then ultimately his results. Thus far the only true 'failure', if there is one, is the inability to makeover the team in less than two years. From a wins and losses standpoint we did improve, but not dramatically, in a season that the BT was clearly tougher than the previous one.

As Seeking6 says, the thought of changing coaches so hastily is disappointing.  Sure we can be disappointed that Archie hasn't magically turned things around yet, but after only 2 or 3 seasons we'd basically be firing a guy for not performing miracles and without any proof of what he would ultimately have accomplished.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

And if Beard didn't produce results acceptable enough after two years....rinse and repeat?

Wouldn't happen.  And to get Beard you'd probably be talking 7 years/$50M so he'd be guaranteed at least 4 years.  No way you could buy him out before then.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Been saying that for along time but gets ripped for it but it is time for this fan base to look in the mirror and see it is part of the problem.  I am not saying this message board or the majority of the fan base but the vocal minority which gets most of the attention.  I am not on twitter or facebook but I have heard it is terrible especially after losses ripping players and coaches and those people probably love hurting the program.  I have left the rivals site but you go over there and it is embarrassing that we have actual so called fans can think the way those guys think.  That site is the bottom of the barrel of this fan base and it is a cesspool.

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Wouldn't happen.  And to get Beard you'd probably be talking 7 years/$50M so he'd be guaranteed at least 4 years.  No way you could buy him out before then.

Go back to your rival friends because no one over here is buying what you are selling.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Been saying that for along time but gets ripped for it but it is time for this fan base to look in the mirror and see it is part of the problem.  I am not saying this message board or the majority of the fan base but the vocal minority which gets most of the attention.  I am not on twitter or facebook but I have heard it is terrible especially after losses ripping players and coaches and those people probably love hurting the program.  I have left the rivals site but you go over there and it is embarrassing that we have actual so called fans can think the way those guys think.  That site is the bottom of the barrel of this fan base and it is a cesspool.

I'll have to take your word for the rivals site. I left that site for good when I got a love letter from I believe superhoosier was the mod after ripping the IU football program and Bill Lynch when Purdue beat us 62-10 in 2008. I said I've seen enough. Of course IU did the most IU thing ever and kept him around another 2 seasons. 

I posted this in the Purdon't thread, but it probably be put here.

I think the majority of HSN posters agree with the "get old and stay old", but you need to have good upperclassmen. 2017-2018, the only top notch upper class men were Robert Johnson and Juwan. 2018-2019, Juwan and March Devonte. With De'Ron's achilles injury, I don't think we could have expected any more from him this year than what he contributed. 2019-2020 (as of now), De'Ron, Devonte, Al, and Justin. 

If Devonte can play all year like he has this past month and De'Ron can get into shape, we should have a decent Senior class. I think Al will again take another big leap. His shooting really improved from his freshman year until he hurt his finger against MSU. Justin will be a year older and sometimes things just click with players once they hit Junior year. Can this be Justin next year? Can he realize what it means to never take a play off and be mentally tough? Plus, Rob will have a whole offseason to improve, I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with Race, and we'll see about Jerome. Heck, maybe Romeo says he wants to experience March Madness and gives it another go around. Then, you have TJD (let's not forget he was the highest rated Indiana player - not the kid from FW) and Armaan, who by all reports, IU fans will be happy with. 

As far as Archie goes, I was (and still am) happy with the hire. I would have been happy with him, Mack, or Marshall. I don't think Donovan or Stevens were realistic. The thing i don't get with the "fire Archie now" crowd is what do you realistically think would happen? IU would not find an established coach that would even talk about the position. Who would want to take a job where if you don't succeed instantly, you'll get fired? Not to mention all the players that would transfer or decommit. It would be 2008-2009 all over again. 

By sticking with Archie, IU has a legitimate chance to become the program that it used to be. He is only 40 years old. Does anyone know how old Izzo was when he took the MSU job? 40. And I already know the responses to this: "BUT, BUT, BUT IZZO WON THE BIG TEN HIS 3RD YEAR!!!!" Izzo took over for Jud Heathcote. They finished 2nd in the B1G his last year. 

Archie is fighting an uphill battle and we need to give him time. 

Archived