What Needs to Change in 2019-20?

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Wouldn't happen.  And to get Beard you'd probably be talking 7 years/$50M so he'd be guaranteed at least 4 years.  No way you could buy him out before then.

Why couldn't it happen? Injuries are a part of the game, and can't be predicted. 

And you'd advocate for paying Chris Beard more or less the same amount as Mike Krzyzewski, with no way out, on top of Archie's $17M buyout, which adds roughly $3M per year through 2022? 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Why couldn't it happen? Injuries are a part of the game, and can't be predicted. 

And you'd advocate for paying Chris Beard more or less the same amount as Mike Krzyzewski, with no way out, on top of Archie's $17M buyout, which adds roughly $3M per year through 2022? 

Yes I would.  The buyout would be offset by whatever Archie earns at his next job.  I'm sure a school like Nebraska would love to have him.  Hell Crean is making around $3.5M at Georgia.  For once in their lives our administration needs to put on its big boy pants and make a splash.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yes I would.  The buyout would be offset by whatever Archie earns at his next job.  I'm sure a school like Nebraska would love to have him.  Hell Crean is making around $3.5M at Georgia.  For once in their lives our administration needs to put on its big boy pants and make a splash.

Beard needs to hire you as his agent.  xD

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

How is Beard a bigger splash than Archie because Archie has made it as far as Bear has in the tournament.  You just fit in better at the rivals with the rest of the eyores

Image result for eeyore

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Nah he should hire Tom Creans agent.  He'd be inking a 9 figure deal somewhere within a month.

The guy tied for a conference championship in a very mediocre Big 12. They just beat a Michigan team who struggled down the stretch and had struggled offensively for most of the year. They, themselves, looked atrocious offensively for a good part of last night’s game. 

Sounds like a totally irresponsible decision for any athletic department to spend that much on a guy who has had limited Power 5 experience 

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Wouldn't happen.  And to get Beard you'd probably be talking 7 years/$50M so he'd be guaranteed at least 4 years.  No way you could buy him out before then.

They why are we talking about buying this coach out in year two?

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

They why are we talking about buying this coach out in year two?

I guess I don't follow.  Archie could likely leave IU and get another job paying him at least $2M if not more.  If we hire Beard at $7-8M year and he stinks it up the first few years (unlikely) I don't see any other school being willing to offer him anywhere near what we'd be paying him making his buyout massive and unaffordable.

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess I don't follow.  Archie could likely leave IU and get another job paying him at least $2M if not more.  If we hire Beard at $7-8M year and he stinks it up the first few years (unlikely) I don't see any other school being willing to offer him anywhere near what we'd be paying him making his buyout massive and unaffordable.

Here's my point...we're willing to punt Archie after two years but want to make it near impossible to punt the next guy for at least four years?

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Here's my point...we're willing to punt Archie after two years but want to make it near impossible to punt the next guy for at least four years?

Correct.  We'd be rolling the dice.  But if you're convinced Beard is the next big thing and many are then you make a move.  I still think Archie could work out but it's probably 50/50 at best IMO that he's still the coach here in 2 years.  He already lost most of the casual fans that I talk to.  I'm just telling you that it's going to get really ugly if next season isn't a success.  And there's only two ways Fred Glass survives here.  Either Archie turns out to be a great coach or Fred cans him and makes a splash hire.

7 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Correct.  We'd be rolling the dice.  But if you're convinced Beard is the next big thing and many are then you make a move.  I still think Archie could work out but it's probably 50/50 at best IMO that he's still the coach here in 2 years.  He already lost most of the casual fans that I talk to.  I'm just telling you that it's going to get really ugly if next season isn't a success.  And there's only two ways Fred Glass survives here.  Either Archie turns out to be a great coach or Fred cans him and makes a splash hire.

I'm not any more convinced Chris Beard can be successful at IU than I am Archie, but that's just me talking.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not any more convinced Chris Beard can be successful at IU than I am Archie, but that's just me talking.

Not that I'm advocating for Beard, because I'm not.  But he's got something unique that would resonate within the IU community: he was a Bob Knight assistant for 7+ years

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Not that I'm advocating for Beard, because I'm not.  But he's got something unique that would resonate within the IU community: he was a Bob Knight assistant for 7+ years

You have to have the right players to begin.  When you recruit to fill roles and have the right roster it is a different ball game.

Futhermore, it is a new ball game when you start recruiting top 75 kids who have there own thoughts on roles.

I have full trust that Archie is going to turn this around and it starts with recruiting.

35 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Please tell us what Beard has accomplished that Archie hadn't before he got to IU.  Another thing I would bet that beard would not even listen to IU since he is such good friends with RMK.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Please tell us what Beard has accomplished that Archie hadn't before he got to IU.  Another thing I would bet that beard would not even listen to IU since he is such good friends with RMK.

He's coaching in a real conference unlike Archie at Dayton.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

He's coaching in a real conference unlike Archie at Dayton.

The A10 is fine league especially when Archie was winning it with Butler for one year and Xavier, Temple.  I just don't get fans like you who are always looking for the next best thing and will never be happy.  I told you guys on the rivals site two years ago that just making a change was not going to make a huge difference because we would not get an elite coach.  There is no more of a chance that Beard would succeed than the chance that Archie will.  Please do us all of a favor and go back to your rival buddies so all of you guys can just complain your hearts away.  I would love to be able to make trades when it comes to posters on IU message boards.  Lets say we trade all the negative people on this site to rivals for their few posters who can see positive things.  I know a lot on here is tired of reading the constant bashing you a few others spew on here and I am sure you get tired of people actually seeing positive things.

To dmbhoosiers

A10

2011-12 season had 4 NCAA tournament teams with Dayton finishing tied for 5th at 9-7

2012-13 season had 5 NCAA Tournament teams and Dayton finished 10th 7-9

2013-14 season had 6 NCAA Tournament teams including Dayton finishing 4th

2014-15 season had 3 tournament teams and Dayton finished 2nd at 13-5

2015-16 season had 4 NCAA Tournament teams and Dayton finished 1st in the conference at 14

To me when a conference gets 3-6 teams in the tournament that is not a weak league.

45 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

You have to have the right players to begin.  When you recruit to fill roles and have the right roster it is a different ball game.

Futhermore, it is a new ball game when you start recruiting top 75 kids who have there own thoughts on roles.

I have full trust that Archie is going to turn this around and it starts with recruiting.

Agree 100%. Was just pointing out the connection.

43 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I’d go further...since RMK has stated he believes Archie is a good coach, BUT our fans might not be patient enough, then he’d make sure Bears wouldn’t come to IU if Archie was canned this quick.

I recently saw an interview with Knight (might have been the one hour show he did with IU’s own Joe Buck).   One question posed to Knight was “what is the most critical trait a successful coach has to have?”  The big man paused and said, “hating to lose.”  As a fan, I see it that way too and Knight just confirmed my own bias.  It’s the type of thing that can permeate into your work, life, etc, because competition is part of the real world.  

I’ve always liked Archie’s attitude and demeanor and think he’s got Knight’s biggest trait.  He is wired that way and he’s obviously insanely competitive and hates to lose.  It oozes off of him.  I haven’t seen any evidence that Archie is a brilliant guy who’s going to draw up the game plan that’s going to beat somebody (I think, as a young coach, he’d be well advised to bring in a grizzled coach who can help with that).  But, by God he wants to win.  If Archie consistently recruits players that have the edge he has, IU has a chance to be good.  

People talk about culture, and I agree that culture will be Archie’s biggest ticket to success because he’s not going to Chris Beard his team’s into wins.  This past year, Archie took a team that was NCAA tourney worthy and just didn’t get it done.  Playing time was inapposite.  In this respect, there were chemistry problems, players that dogged it, parents embarrassing themselves, dumb play, disrespectful players in huddles, a possible locker room fight, and on and on.  This all was tolerated.  If Archie isn’t the schemer then he needs to win with a style of play, and smart, tough, ball.  

If you look at the remaining teams, they have a spirit and chemistry this team lacked.  This past team was anything but that, and Archie could have more aggressively handled his team to emphasize these points.  Players played big minutes despite lazy play, dumb play, lack of competitiveness, etc.  It is one of the two biggest red flags of this past season (the other being how he helplessly watched the unimaginable losing streak like a speculator watching the ticker tape on Black Monday).

This roster needs an enema.  There were people saying that’s not true, and 24 hours later Moore is gone.  

I hope Anderson stays.  Green is a complicated case but he is a rare playmaker on the roster so I’d like to see him stay.  

Winning is a habit and starts with the smallest things being done right.  Everybody knows how Johnny Wooden did the shoe tying exercise.  It seemed corny but he was instilling a winning mindset.  IU woefully lacks that in the program.  You get permissive with lazy defense, lack of concentration, disrespect in huddles, etc, and your program is on the wrong track.  

We need turnover though because this will be year three now and you can’t come back with all the losing habits his prior roster had.  That needs turned around now.  Archie just presided over a dysfunctional team and didn’t have answers.  If he pulls another season like that, his seat will be like the electric chair on low voltage but the dial nearby.  The Board already expressed frustration with Eccentric Fred.  

To whomever thinks Archie should be fired...sorry but I think you’re an idiot...give the man 4 years to get an entire cycle of his own recruits in and get his system established. His one class thus far produced a 4 year point guard In RP who I think will be an all conference player twice. Romeo was what it was, but he got him. Hunter never played a second, and is basically a starter from day 1 from what I’ve heard and read. 

I think forrester and Anderson are solid players as early as next year, or as juniors and seniors. Role players, you gotta have em!

This society sucks. Everybody wants immediate responses and quick fixes, and it doesn’t work that way. Talent pool is deeper and deeper each year. Wofford shoulda beat UK. Auburn may win it all. It’s why college hoops is the best sport!

Archived