OT IU Baseball 2019

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We have (counting the 4 transfers) 15 guys on the way out and 19 coming in. 

14 true FR 

2 Jucos 

2 grad transfers 

and RS FR Ty Bothwell (who I think will make the team) 

Will be interesting to see how the team comes together. Do you know much about the incoming freshman aside from Ethan who I know you have mentioned? 

4 hours ago, IUfan93 said:

Will be interesting to see how the team comes together. Do you know much about the incoming freshman aside from Ethan who I know you have mentioned? 

The Voth kid (catcher) he's from CA. He's big time. 

Reese Sharp drafted 28th rd by Giants very good. Touched 95 this year. 

Blayne Deaton very solid

Ryan Fischer from FL is rated high 

Walker from New Pal is solid 

Nate Stahl from OH was their PBR POY.. .27 ERA 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:21 PM, IUfan93 said:

I know a little about one kid. Dylan Steele, a pitcher out of Bloomington North, is as mature as they come for a Freshman. Might be the most "coachable" kid in the class attitude-wise. Pitcher,with improving command on the ball,  plus a solid hitter, and fielder..

Commited very early for Lemonis, but also stayed on board after Mercer was hired. Not the eye-popping headliner type, and may take some time to work his way into a role, but hard to envision him not finding one to fill at some point.

He seemed destined for D1 baseball long before high school, so the talent is certainly there to work with, and he's only going to get stronger as his frame fills out with S&C work.

On 6/28/2019 at 6:51 AM, Andy06 said:

Thank you for the info btownqb.  That is a huge commitment,  and I know it's a  long way out...but he sounds like a potential early round draft pick.

What are the odds he turns down MLB for IU?

They're more and more kids every year turning down  the pros for college.. to answer your question... I have no idea. 

20 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

I know a little about one kid. Dylan Steele, a pitcher out of Bloomington North, is as mature as they come for a Freshman. Might be the most "coachable" kid in the class attitude-wise. Pitcher,with improving command on the ball,  plus a solid hitter, and fielder..

Commited very early for Lemonis, but also stayed on board after Mercer was hired. Not the eye-popping headliner type, and may take some time to work his way into a role, but hard to envision him not finding one to fill at some point.

He seemed destined for D1 baseball long before high school, so the talent is certainly there to work with, and he's only going to get stronger as his frame fills out with S&C work.

Thanks for the info. Being from the region, I really don’t get a lot of info or exposure to any of the kids down state. The only player I know anything about is from Munster so aside from that I’m glad to have this ongoing post for information. 

I am just glad the baseball team is doing so well.  I still need to get to a game at Kauffman Stadium. 

Does anyone know if that photo in the Sembower field pressbox of Mickey Morandini kissing his bronze medal made it over to the new pressbox?

19 hours ago, btownqb said:

They're more and more kids every year turning down  the pros for college.. to answer your question... I have no idea. 

Considering that maybe 10% make the big leagues, I completely get the idea of going for the free education while you're young and still honing your game. Read John Grisham's The Innocent Man (or watch Netflix's documentary of the same name) and you'll likely lean the same way. Ron Williamson was supposed to be the next Mickey Mantle, but instead, he ended up spending 11 years in prison after a highly suspect murder conviction and dying of cirrhosis of the liver five years after his exoneration and release.  One can only wonder how his life might have been different had he taken advantage of a free college education. 

College gives you something that can never be taken away.

Archived