Kalen Etzler - PF (2021) Commits to Ohio State

• KDB changed the title to Kalen Etzler - PF (2021) Commits to Ohio State
7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Is this kid nuts ?  Being a 2021, does he not know he would have been good for at least 50 pages on Hoosier Sports Nation, before committing to the Buckeyes !   LOL

No kidding! He's going to miss out on "getting to enjoy the process" too.

29 minutes ago, Long Duk Dong said:

They seem to be doing better than us.

I'm not paying much attention to their recruiting...did they get a Mr.Basketball/McDonald's All-American in their incoming class?  What about Joey Brunk?  I know they were chasing him?

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm not paying much attention to their recruiting...did they get a Mr.Basketball/McDonald's All-American in their incoming class?  What about Joey Brunk?  I know they were chasing him?

Not that i think their coach is anything special but https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/

So even with our 4* burger boy and powerhouse transfer Joey Brunk, they are ranked 25th and we're ranked 50th at the moment.

All in all winning will make all this go away.  IU just needs to win.  2 seasons of sub-par performance has led to all these posts and alot of unhappy fans.  Maybe its a reasonable response, maybe it isn't.  Each to their own.

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not that i think their coach is anything special but https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings/

So even with our 4* burger boy and powerhouse transfer Joey Brunk, they are ranked 25th and we're ranked 50th at the moment.

All in all winning will make all this go away.  IU just needs to win.  2 seasons of sub-par performance has led to all these posts and alot of unhappy fans.  Maybe its a reasonable response, maybe it isn't.  Each to their own.

When I opened the link, OSU was rated 12th.

In regards to the comparison to IU, this is due to the number of commits, 4 vs 2 rather than any indication that one coach can pull in better talent than the other. Brunk is not included in IU's ranking.

As I have said previously, all this rating stuff is for the fanbases and alumni. Subjective opinions from a bunch of people, many who never played the game at a high level. Star ratings are meaningless. Once the kids get on the floor, they will quickly show whether they can play or not.

31 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

When I opened the link, OSU was rated 12th.

In regards to the comparison to IU, this is due to the number of commits, 4 vs 2 rather than any indication that one coach can pull in better talent than the other. Brunk is not included in IU's ranking.

As I have said previously, all this rating stuff is for the fanbases and alumni. Subjective opinions from a bunch of people, many who never played the game at a high level. Star ratings are meaningless. Once the kids get on the floor, they will quickly show whether they can play or not.

I am not arguing with on whether the recruiting class says you're a better coach.  I was responding to the statement about recruiting.  As of now, we are being out recruited by OSU.  As of the last 2 seasons, we have been out something'd by OSU.  As i mentioned.  If CAM starts winning, most of this goes away.  IU fans can forgive alot if we win.  There will always be the  standard deviation of fans who will love him no matter what and will want him fired no matter what.  Its the the rest who are the voice of the program.  They just want to win and brag about the team with their friends and family.  The last 2 years have been disappointing regardless of what type of fan you are and I doubt anyone can ague that.  If that trend continues, the rumbling of the fan base will only get worst.  Unfortunately CAM is being rolled up with every coach since Coach Knight.  The fans are saying we have been patient for 20 years even though CAM has only had 2.  Its understandable even if its not fair or reasonable to blame CAM for the last 20 years.  I will not debate whether he should be fired or not.  There are plenty of post on that and you can find evidence throughout the last 30 years that will support or deny whatever claim you want.  Just like you can find support for or against what a coach should have accomplished in the first 2-3 years.

4 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Brunk is not factored into the rankings, but it's well-known that master recruiter  and Archie Killer Holtman very much wanted Brunk.  I'm sure he very much wanted Jerome Hunter last year as well.  Off the top of my head, I recall one head to head where Archie lost the recruit (Carton) to Holtman.  It's debatable to say he's out-recruiting Archie Miller, although if you qualify it with "right now", you'd win this (ridiculous) argument.  Who the hell cares who's winning "right now"?  That could easily change next week and I can point to several moments in time where Archie Miller was out-recruiting Holtman "right now".  You can't tell squat about someone's recruiting ability by looking at a single moment in time.  "Right now", Penny Hardaway is crushing both Coach K and Calipari.  What does that really mean? (very little)

Word to the wise...just about any coach can look great (or terrible) at a given point in time.  It's much smarter to look at their overall body of work and frankly, you don't have enough information to pass judgment on their current job for either coach.  If you want to make a snap judgment based on this moment in time, you'd fire both of these bozos and throw millions at Penny Hardaway.

Archived