Trey Kaufman Commits to Purdue

KDB

On 1/26/2020 at 9:21 PM, FKIM01 said:

We disagree then.  I see a lot of similarity.  On occasion, a really good wrestler can wrestle up 2-3 weight classes successfully, but the more size disparity you have, the greater the talent differential needed to overcome it.  Class basketball is very similar in that respect.  Small schools need great talent to overcome the law of large numbers that would apply to the Lawrence Norths of the world.  

I get that the charm of a single class tournament was a uniquely Indiana thing and it's been hard to let go of, but I can tell you emphatically that now that they have tasted success, successful small schools like Barr-Reeve, they want nothing to do with having to compete with schools of several thousand students.

I get it...but I wanted to play the best...as a competitor I wanted to win it all! I thought we were good enough to do it...and in fact I think we had a chance if some plays went  one way or another. We were really good. Not saying we should have won but had a reasonable chance. It was a chance to make history...achieve something no one had done. Maybe things have changed with kids...or maybe just parents and admin because I know there are kids out there that want to take their shot at the big boys too. Anyways...genie is out of the bottle...just glad my year was the last for class ball...wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/26/2020 at 8:09 PM, FKIM01 said:

Look at it this way...If we were talking a wrestling mat, would you think it appropriate for the 98-pound flyweight to be paired with the other team's 220 pound heavyweight?

Funny you made this comparison in the context of this discussion.  Wrestling is one of the few sports in the state that still has a single class tournament.  Makes it way more meaningful IMO.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Funny you made this comparison in the context of this discussion.  Wrestling is one of the few sports in the state that still has a single class tournament.  Makes it way more meaningful IMO.

All individual sports are single class.  Cross Country, Golf, Tennis, Track, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Swimming.  Team sports are multi-class.  

2 hours ago, loviubb said:

If  I am thinking right has Sherron  and IU forgiven each other? As to how things went down?

Sherron credits Knight with helping him straighten some things out in his life, and was actually an assistant under Pat Knight at one time.  .  I don;t know if the good will extends to the actual university or not.  

Regarding Sherron. He was best friends with my friend so we got a chance to hang out with him quite a bit. That whole ordeal that went down was my first introduction to what is real and what is being reported. By his own admissions he needed to grow up and by all accounts he has. Wish him nothing but the best. 

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Sherron. He was best friends with my friend so we got a chance to hang out with him quite a bit. That whole ordeal that went down was my first introduction to what is real and what is being reported. By his own admissions he needed to grow up and by all accounts he has. Wish him nothing but the best. 

Worked on staff 1 year with Sherron prior to that he coached my son for a couple of weeks

5 hours ago, 5fouls said:

A reminder that it's 4A #1 Bloomington South and future Hoosier Anthony Leal versus 3A #1 Silver Creek and 2021 recruiting target Trey Kaufman tonight.  The game is being streamed on ihsaatv (link below).  The stream is scheduled to start at 7:15 although game time is officially scheduled for 7:30. 

https://www.ihsaatv.org/

Just watch the last two minutes of the game and Leal hit a 3 at the buzzer for the win 69-66

54 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

If you got to watch it ...how did he look ?  I had a good friend from Indy that has watched several silver creek and reitz games including the Southport tourney and he came away with Jacobi looking better than lander at times 

Kooper had a solid game.  He made 4 three pointers, which is usually not what he does.  he normally has a strong mid-range game.  But, they were giving it to him and he took advantage.  In the first half, SC kept rotating Kaufman and Jacobi onto Leal.  In the 2nd half, it was almost exclusively Jacobi on Leal, and that seemed to work well, as Leal only had 2 second half points before the game winner.  The game winner itself was off an in-bounds play with Leal taking it out and Kaufman guarding the pass itself to get some extra length.  Bloomington South just ran the play to perfection and Leal made a clutch shot.  I'm disappointed in how it turned out, but not upset.  Both teams played extremely well, but South made the clutch plays at the end of the game.  3 huge three pointers in the last 90 seconds to erase a 5 point lead.   

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Kooper had a solid game.  He made 4 three pointers, which is usually not what he does.  he normally has a strong mid-range game.  But, they were giving it to him and he took advantage.  In the first half, SC kept rotating Kaufman and Jacobi onto Leal.  In the 2nd half, it was almost exclusively Jacobi on Leal, and that seemed to work well, as Leal only had 2 second half points before the game winner.  The game winner itself was off an in-bounds play with Leal taking it out and Kaufman guarding the pass itself to get some extra length.  Bloomington South just ran the play to perfection and Leal made a clutch shot.  I'm disappointed in how it turned out, but not upset.  Both teams played extremely well, but South made the clutch plays at the end of the game.  3 huge three pointers in the last 90 seconds to erase a 5 point lead.   

Silver creek still has to be thrilled they are punching with the top of the big boy class  ...one of the years where a tournament of each class champion might have been fun / competitive 

A couple of in depth stories on Kaufman this week.  One in Louisville Courier Journal.  The other in IndyStar.  On phone instead of laptop, so I don't know how to insert link.  But wanted to let HoosierNation know in case you're interested.  The Star article, in particular, has a lot of great info.

Archived