Farming.

rico

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, rico said:

Dad finally ready to drop some seed in the ground.

IMG_0655.JPG

Good to finally see. Have some family in the business in Illinois and also near Rensselaer. I'd say 20-25% is the number most are hearing in terms of crops in ground.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good to finally see. Have some family in the business in Illinois and also near Rensselaer. I'd say 20-25% is the number most are hearing in terms of crops in ground.

How much corn?  Percentage wise?

2 minutes ago, rico said:

How much corn?  Percentage wise?

In terms of % of acres? If that they've for years always planted roughly 80/20 corn and soy beans but have been shifting to more and more soy over the last decade to almost a 50/50 split.  I know many who were planning on doing corn only this year for a variety of reasons (demand, trade wars, inventory,etc...) but some changed their mind and went back to soybeans again. 

58 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Been all over the news in the Southern part of the state about the wet weather delaying planting for the farmers.  Unfortunately, the forecast is calling for more rain the next several days.

Corn was/is the issue because of the maturation rate.  I already saw on the radar that it ain't looking good for the Southern Indiana Brethren that farm.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Been all over the news in the Southern part of the state about the wet weather delaying planting for the farmers.  Unfortunately, the forecast is calling for more rain the next several days.

Latest I have ever planted on the mile plantation.  Due to crazy weather.  Cold, rain, hail.... and yes snow just last week.  Got into the veggie garden today.  Not to plant but to till.  I have two compost bins that I fill over the fall and winter, and use in the spring. and summer. Plus went to Starbucks today. And they gave me about 50 pounds of used coffee grounds.  Company policy is to give gardeners, used coffee grounds for free.  Left our name, so they can put more aside for us tomorrow. 

Coffee Grounds & Gardening: Using Coffee Grounds As Fertilizer

Have all the respect in the world for farming and farmers!! I can't even keep a house plant alive 6 months. And what really pis……. me off that in all the time I have lived here I've only had one productive year from the pear tree in my yard. Dang blagged deer eat them all!

Bob-Toppins.jpg&w=300

15 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Have all the respect in the world for farming and farmers!! I can't even keep a house plant alive 6 months. And what really pis……. me off that in all the time I have lived here I've only had one productive year from the pear tree in my yard. Dang blagged deer eat them all!

Not sure if you have ever used a deer repellent or not.  I have no need for one. 

However, here is a link to a company I have used for years. For other products.

Repels-All All natural animal deterrent repellent deer 

I use their spray for all my outdoor flowers and vegetables.  And the results are amazing.  Had one, just one tomato plant that I kid you not.... that I harvested well over 500 tomatoes from.

www.spray-n-growgardening.com

This is not me, in the pic above.  Just an example of how well their products works :

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I have two effective ways of preventing deer from eating crops. One is made by Browning and one is made by Winchester. Coincidentally, roast venison with home grown vegetables is mighty tasty.

Mr. Stoller is an avid deer hunter and I’ve come to appreciate venison and learn how to prepare it. Excellent! 

It's at the point where decisions have to be made.....plant your crop for the year and hope the weather cooperates, or don't and let your crop insurance pay out.

I work in the investment field and have several clients who are or were farmers. I tell them all the time that they take on more risk in what they do as compared to the markets I deal in.

God bless the farmers 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

It's at the point where decisions have to be made.....plant your crop for the year and hope the weather cooperates, or don't and let your crop insurance pay out.

I work in the investment field and have several clients who are or were farmers. I tell them all the time that they take on more risk in what they do as compared to the markets I deal in.

God bless the farmers 

Any experience in futures? Curious the  smart play on corn or soybeans right now based on inventory, prices, trade war, weather, floods,etc....

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Any experience in futures? Curious the  smart play on corn or soybeans right now based on inventory, prices, trade war, weather, floods,etc....

From listening to my Dad, playing the commodities market is risky business.  

Edit: I know a lot of farmers around here that grew the best crops in their lives and when broke doing it.  Because they gambled with the prices and/or their crop choice.

10 hours ago, milehiiu said:

June 7. And got my veggie garden fully planted.  Latest ever.  And they are talking about possible hail overnight, tonight !

A lot of people around me have given up on planting a garden this year.

1 hour ago, rico said:

A lot of people around me have given up on planting a garden this year.

I understand. All depends on what they like to plant.

Here is a list of vegetables that do well, by planting in late summer :

Six Vegetables To Plant Late Summer 

I have planted carrots all season long.  And have harvested them all winter long.

Also, I like to put in a second crop of lettuce in late summer :

Plant a Fall Lettuce Garden - Vegetable Gardener

Just some suggestions.  If they like to garden, they should not entirely give up. 

I'm still planting some herbs and a couple tomatoes and hot peppers in the next day or 2 but my garden will be less than half of what is usually is.  

In my area of southern indiana only the hilly parts have been planted. Bottom land hardly has any fields that have been touched. Never seen it like this before. 

33 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I'm still planting some herbs and a couple tomatoes and hot peppers in the next day or 2 but my garden will be less than half of what is usually is.  

In my area of southern indiana only the hilly parts have been planted. Bottom land hardly has any fields that have been touched. Never seen it like this before. 

Hope the garden does well for you.

Talking to Dad last night.  He doesn't think he will get his crops all in by Father's Day.  In all his years of farming he has never planted past it.  Hopefully Mother Nature holds off...but rain moving in tonight through tomorrow.

I think Federal Crop Insurance deadline for corn passed June 5th. Soybeans is June 20th. Tough, tough decisions have been made and will be made in the coming week. Read a story this morning. Indiana farmers have less than 1/3 of corn planted, 20% of soybeans. Illinois has 45% of corn while our farmers friends to the south (Kentucky) are fully planted. 

Mother Nature can be very, very cruel sometimes.

Archived