Possibility of a platoon?

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

The follow-up question to your follow-up question is, has he ever had a 6'7"+ wing that he's brought off the bench simply because he prefers to go small, or has going small been more out of simply utilizing the talent he has? 

I admittedly don't know the circumstances around his rosters at Dayton, outside of the year his tallest guy was something like 6'6". We know next season IU will have size in the front-court and we know that Archie said at Huber's that he's excited about Hunter and Anderson because it will give the team the versatility to have size in the back-court. I think it will mainly come down to how ready Hunter and Anderson are. If Hunter is 100% healthy, and as advertised (big if's of course), then I'm certain we're going to see big lineups out there.

Big to me meaning something like Phinisee, Green, Hunter, Smith/TJD, Davis/Brunk. 

I definitely agree that we will see Hunter and Anderson at the 3 along with two guards next year, so if that’s how you define big, then we’re on the same page.

I went and looked it up, and an interesting player comparison for Hunter from Archie’s time at Dayton might be Dyshawn Pierre.  It seems like he played at the 3 for his first two years, then they shifted him to the 4 for his junior and senior years.  Only 6’6, but definitely looks like a bigger wing with a decent shot (38.4% career three point shooter.)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

An obvious takeaway from the Arkansas NIT game I attended...Green is NOT a press-breaker.  Phinisee was taken out for a breather during the game and Green had a couple of turnovers dealing with the press while Rob was taking a breather and Archie promptly put Rob back in.  Green can dribble and he is a nice outside shooter and likely starter at the 2, but should not be the primary ball handler, especially if facing a press.  Rob was so much more effective breaking Arkansas' press with what I'd call a power dribble.

Obviously Green isn’t an ideal point guard, but he’s really the only other guard we have with the handles and court vision to run the offense when RP sits.  RP can’t play all 40 minutes.

29 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I definitely agree that we will see Hunter and Anderson at the 3 along with two guards next year, so if that’s how you define big, then we’re on the same page.

I went and looked it up, and an interesting player comparison for Hunter from Archie’s time at Dayton might be Dyshawn Pierre.  It seems like he played at the 3 for his first two years, then they shifted him to the 4 for his junior and senior years.  Only 6’6, but definitely looks like a bigger wing with a decent shot (38.4% career three point shooter.)

Traditional might be a better word than "big" in terms of Hunter and/or Anderson at the wing (or 3). Good comparison with Pierre. I've also read that Hunters most versatile position could be as a stretch/athletic 4 where he can really create mismatches. For me, the big point is that despite what Archie has done in the past, he's never had the versatility of having a big, long wing that can shoot, to go along with the size and versatility he'll have on the inside. I would assume when Pierre got moved to the stretch 4 later in his Dayton career that those teams didn't have the size/talent on the inside that this IU team will have. 

No matter how it plays out, I'm concerned about IU's lack of high level talent, but also excited about some of the versatility and quality depth, assuming guys like Phinisee, Durham and Anderson improve, guys like Green and Smith can become consistent, and guys like Hunter and Davis can be healthy, to go along with the new guys. I think the '19 class has a chance to be a really solid and impactful, even if unspectacular, class. 

In case you haven't seen this article (ITH), it provides a sort of where are we now summary. Read between the lines, it's not as gloom and doom as the tone implies.

Also the vid shows Hunter looking pretty good fwiw -- including leg press, jumps, floor ladder, sprints. He's definitely already come a long way.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/06/14/offseason-storylines-what-is-jerome-hunters-future-at-iu/

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Obviously Green isn’t an ideal point guard, but he’s really the only other guard we have with the handles and court vision to run the offense when RP sits.  RP can’t play all 40 minutes.

Of course not...and he's fine as a backup point.  It just goes to show how good a freshman point named Phinisee was.  A couple of trips down the floor with Green trying to break the press and Phinisee was put back in...immediately broke the press several times in a row before Arkansas got frustrated and fouled him.

Archived