Aminu Mohammed Commits to Georgetown

KDB

46 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This was my thinking early on particularly as Lander re-classified and is coming in young. After hearing reports of summer workouts and CAM's and player public comments including on Lander, i do think he'll start. Beyond being a 5-star point guard (generally, any 5-star PG will start unless the team already has one starting), he fits the bill that CAM is seeking to put in place -- a dynamic outlet team with floor spacing, with multiple ball handlers (and various players commented on having three ball handlers on the floor). I could certainly be wrong, just my opinion here, but this is how I see it. Adding Lander to the lineup with Rob and Al (or Hunter, but Al will start) is the look the team is going for.

Indeed. It isn’t comparing apples to apples. Hunter compared to Lander. It’s about what Lander brings to the team. Archie wants to up the pace and wants to stress the defense. Khristian does that. He adds a dimension we haven’t had. He puts a ton of pressure on the defense and most importantly helps us increase the pace. He can push the ball at break neck speed and get our offense in a position to score before the defense has time to set up. His skill set compliments what Archie wants to do. Archie will employ all kinds of lineups but I think we will see a lot of smaller lineups with Race playing both 4 and 5 in support of Trayce and Hunter.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This was my thinking early on particularly as Lander re-classified and is coming in young. After hearing reports of summer workouts and CAM's and player public comments including on Lander, i do think he'll start. Beyond being a 5-star point guard (generally, any 5-star PG will start unless the team already has one starting), he fits the bill that CAM is seeking to put in place -- a dynamic outlet team with floor spacing, with multiple ball handlers (and various players commented on having three ball handlers on the floor). I could certainly be wrong, just my opinion here, but this is how I see it. Adding Lander to the lineup with Rob and Al (or Hunter, but Al will start) is the look the team is going for.

The way Rob is bulking up I could see him easily transitioning to a wing. Have y’all seen the twitter photos? It’s insane.

9 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The way Rob is bulking up I could see him easily transitioning to a wing. Have y’all seen the twitter photos? It’s insane.

I think both Rob and Khristian will play off the ball at times. That said it’s both their length that will limit them off the ball on bigger twos. I do hope it helps Rob finish at the rim. It’s why I’m big on Aminu if we can land him. He has size and strength to finish going to the rim that we haven’t had from our wings in the past (Rob, Al, Devonte, Armaan, Newkirk, Johnson) all have struggled in traffic. I’d say Romeo was our only wing in recent years that was good taking it and finishing through traffic and well he was pretty elite size/athleticism.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think both Rob and Khristian will play off the ball at times. That said it’s both their length that will limit them off the ball on bigger twos. I do hope it helps Rob finish at the rim. It’s why I’m big on Aminu if we can land him. He has size and strength to finish going to the rim that we haven’t had from our wings in the past (Rob, Al, Devonte, Armaan, Newkirk, Johnson) all have struggled in traffic. I’d say Romeo was our only wing in recent years that was good taking it and finishing through traffic and well he was pretty elite size/athleticism.

3395392A-64A1-4BF6-9668-DE7D2FBA4812.png

19 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

3395392A-64A1-4BF6-9668-DE7D2FBA4812.png

I’ve seen the marketing pictures before. I just hope it helps keep him healthy...but even so that doesn’t show that Rob has grown. Bigger twos will continue to shoot over top him....but hopefully this does help him stay strong going to the rim.

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Hunter?? He's the prototypical wing, he is good at attacking and finishing, and he was a redshirt frosh. 

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I don't see Rob on the wing but he will play both on and off ball -- a key part of the multiple ball handler attack. I think it's more likely will see the wing being manned primarily by Al and Hunter, both of whom are good 3-point shooters, and in Hunter's case, finishing the year at North of 40%, the hope is that will continue with a significantly increased role

Great to see Rob getting ripped though, he's looking strong for sure

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don't see Rob on the wing but he will play both on and off ball -- a key part of the multiple ball handler attack. I think it's more likely will see the wing being manned primarily by Al and Hunter, both of whom are good 3-point shooters, and in Hunter's case, finishing the year at North of 40%, the hope is that will continue with a significantly increased role

Great to see Rob getting ripped though, he's looking strong for sure

Hoping it will prevent him from getting banged up.....

I don’t know enough about how he’s wired.  He’s clearly driven by getting pro money ASAP.  It’s understandable but you can go about it a different way.  I’m over 50 and have seen a lot at this point.  The best advice I can give somebody in any field is if you do the right things, your dreams will be fulfilled.  

Basketball is a team sport where team play is critical to success.  If you play the right way rather than focus on stats and showcasing you will do well.  Scouts aren’t morons.  They can filter away useless empty stats and focus on your game. Take the Halliburton kid.  He’s highly regarded in the draft because people appreciate what a team player he is.  He might go no later than fourth to Chicago.  In the end, it’s a team game and the ability to enhance team synergy (or lack thereof) to me is part of the evaluation of a player.  Team success is the objective, not scoring average.  If you do what’s right in terms of team play, the draft takes care of itself.  Unfortunately, a lot of young people get bad advice.  That’s why the Bracey Wrights are destined to play in Finland or Japan.  

I will say, everything I have heard about the young man is he plays very hard and tough, battles, etc.  I really doubt he’s a Bracey Wright or even Justin Smith even if he wants to be assured to play.  He’s got a chance to really help. But if he wants to come down and launch ill advised shots, sulk if he didn’t get the ball etc, that’s not going to work in a team sport.  My sense is he isn’t that type of kid.  I think he’s a gritty kid who will play hard.  

On 11/2/2020 at 12:14 PM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hunter?? He's the prototypical wing, he is good at attacking and finishing, and he was a redshirt frosh. 

Hunter is pretty decent around the rim, coming off curls etc but I wouldn’t say he is strong off the dribble.....yet...hope he takes that next step...I mean he isn’t as bad as Smith but he hasn’t shown us he can take his man one on one yet. Mostly been a spot up shooter.

10 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t know enough about how he’s wired.  He’s clearly driven by getting pro money ASAP.  It’s understandable but you can go about it a different way.  I’m over 50 and have seen a lot at this point.  The best advice I can give somebody in any field is if you do the right things, your dreams will be fulfilled.  

Basketball is a team sport where team play is critical to success.  If you play the right way rather than focus on stats and showcasing you will do well.  Scouts aren’t morons.  They can filter away useless empty stats and focus on your game. Take the Halliburton kid.  He’s highly regarded in the draft because people appreciate what a team player he is.  He might go no later than fourth to Chicago.  In the end, it’s a team game and the ability to enhance team synergy (or lack thereof) to me is part of the evaluation of a player.  Team success is the objective, not scoring average.  If you do what’s right in terms of team play, the draft takes care of itself.  Unfortunately, a lot of young people get bad advice.  That’s why the Bracey Wrights are destined to play in Finland or Japan.  

I will say, everything I have heard about the young man is he plays very hard and tough, battles, etc.  I really doubt he’s a Bracey Wright or even Justin Smith even if he wants to be assured to play.  He’s got a chance to really help. But if he wants to come down and launch ill advised shots, sulk if he didn’t get the ball etc, that’s not going to work in a team sport.  My sense is he isn’t that type of kid.  I think he’s a gritty kid who will play hard.  

Nailed that accessment. Things that people have noticed about him is he works hard on the boards and on the defensive end. Not something that is typical of a 5* guard. He really excels not just offensively but in all those “winning” stats.

2 hours ago, loviubb said:

What do you see as IUs chances or likely able to land this young man? Or do you think we should pass? Just curious of you thoughts as I respect you opinion always!

Don’t have a clue honestly.  If I had to guess I’d say we have a much better chance at Miller.  

First off I'd welcome any 5 star to Bloomington with open arms. I'll just add this though.  Depaul got involved with an offer yesterday. Depaul getting involved makes me a little more concerned not about the kid but whoever is handling this kid. 

Seems to be a great talent but if we miss it won't be a long funeral. This recruitment appears to be let's just call it odd.

On 5/15/2020 at 7:09 PM, Moyeneeded said:

Is that because you have been pushing Wesley on here?

3 hours ago, Mike said:

Pass coach SS agrees.

23 minutes ago, ebridges24 said:

Please explain....

On 5/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, CoachSS said:

The more he is in contact with other programs, the better I feel. Having gathered a lot of things about him, his situation the last few weeks... I'm really hopeful he ends up elsewhere. 

Reasoning: Skill-level, involvement of others, ability to score away from the basket for his size. 

*Edit. This will come up more later. Can discuss more at a later time. 

I tried looking for a post by CoachSS, but could not find it, so I don't know if it has been deleted or taken down. But I did find a quoted post by CoachSS where he stated his reasons. I don't know if he still feels the same way or he has changed his thinking. Maybe he will chime in.

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

On 5/15/2020 at 1:36 PM, CoachSS said:

The more he is in contact with other programs, the better I feel. Having gathered a lot of things about him, his situation the last few weeks... I'm really hopeful he ends up elsewhere. 

Reasoning: Skill-level, involvement of others, ability to score away from the basket for his size. 

*Edit. This will come up more later. Can discuss more at a later time. 

I tried looking for a post by CoachSS, but could not find it, so I don't know if it has been deleted or taken down. But I did find a quoted post by CoachSS where he stated his reasons. I don't know if he still feels the same way or he has changed his thinking. Maybe he will chime in.

Thanks for the explanation, good to know.

Archived