Forgotten? Ignored? Is it any wonder?

https://www.wane.com/college-sports/boilermakers-on-the-road-stops-in-fort-wayne/

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the recruiting forum or here, but thought this might gain more traction.

Off and on there have been conversations here about why IU has little success recruiting the NE corner of Indiana, Ft. Wayne in particular. Especially with two kids on the recruiting radar of virtually every big time program in the midwest (Furst and Goode), it just strikes a chord with me that Fred and the coaching staff don't make an appearance up here similar to what Purdue is doing in the article attached.

I know that in the past IU used to have a coach's tour. Not sure when this stopped, or the reason it did so. CAM makes regular appearances in S Indiana, which is great, but there is nothing that I can see scheduled for up here. In looking at the NE Indiana IU Alumni Association's Facebook page, the group that has coordinated these in the past, there are no upcoming scheduled events. As we are nearing the return of students to campus, I would imagine that if its not scheduled by now, its not happening.

So, my question. Is it any wonder that we seem to struggle recruiting up here when the area seems to be ignored? I know that big time recruiting is based on relationship building and such, and a one day barnstorming tour isn't going to sway a kid one way or another. However, I can't help but believe that a kid's parents don't notice. I can't help but wonder what kind of message is sent to communities, alumni, and such when it seems we are being ignored. As competitive as big time recruiting is these days, every little bit helps/hurts imo.

I don't think coaches going to a region of the state will change players mind.  What is important is that the players see the coaches on the recruiting trails at all of their games during the summer.  I also think that recruiting during the summer is more important today than actually recruiting them during their high school season.

IU did play fort wayne in 2016 and 2017 which would have provided some local presence / buzz.

I've advocated that IU should play a game every year or two at the United Center to develop/ maintain a presence in the Chicagoland market (and to provide extra opportunities for Chicagoland IU Alumni to see a game!). Duke and Kentuky will schedule neutral site games there. Its debatable whether that alone has helped them land Chicagoland recruits but it at least provides some familiarity with possible conference and tournament sites. 

I really don't know the answer to your question SH.  Many, many years ago IU used to yearly play ND at the Fort Wayne Coliseum.  But with the opening of the new Assembly Hall in 1971 we stopped playing in Fort Wayne.  In fact it wasn't long before we dropped ND for  a long while.  CBK never recruited well in Fort Wayne proper but did get some from Marion.  He got players from South and Homestead, but they both left IU before graduating.

2 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

How did that work out for us the last couple of times?

Doesn't matter.

Anytime something doesn't work out with risk someone is always going to come along with a comment like this..

@ricoPlaying just strikes me as being of more value(IMO) than holding a luncheon or conference out of town. Although I think holding appearances and games in-state - in as many areas as possible-  should be two complimentary prongs to the same approach of exposure. Any is better than not at all to me.

23 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

Doesn't matter.

Anytime something doesn't work out with risk someone is always going to come along with a comment like this..

@ricoPlaying just strikes me as being of more value(IMO) than holding a luncheon or conference out of town. Although I think holding appearances and games in-state - in as many areas as possible-  should be two complimentary prongs to the same approach of exposure. Any is better than not at all to me.

It was a joke.  Nothing more.

If we aren't going to figure out a way to add an additional national game with Arizona or Kansas or whoever.....I wouldn't mind something where IU identifies say 5 gyms in the state that meet requirements (safety, size,etc...) and rotate one easy W game each year or every other year. Prefer those games to have built in recruiting advantages if possible. Choose Fort, Evansville, location in NW Indiana....maybe Richmond or New Castle.

With Big 10 schedule and our commits to preseason tourneys,etc...only leaves about 4-5 games per year where we could do something like this. I would think this would be better than a 50 point drubbing of some no name in Bloomington. Get the benefit of the same drubbing on the road in the state where fans who don't get to see IU ever get a chance to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived