Players prevented from reaching their potential

What players in your estimation didn’t max out on their potential?  Maybe it was due to off the court stuff, injuries, laziness, or getting in the doghouse.  

I will start with Pat Graham.  I did see him play in high school and obviously at IU.  He was a McDonald’s All American.  He was plagued by leg injuries at IU and accordingly never got to max out his ability as a basketball player.  

This is a guy who was 6’5, confident and very competitive.  He was in it to win it.  He pushed himself through adversity.  Not only was he a dead eye shooter, he could really weave and drive to the bucket with authority.  I loved it when he drove.  And he’d get you some boards.  Very tough basketball player and I feel bad for him that we didn’t see what he really was on the way to becoming.  He’s one of the players I lament the most in terms of not seeing his maximum excellence as a player.  

If you are talking about injury. Preventing a player from maxing his potential. Then the obvious and most recent example, for me has to be Romeo Langford. Wrist injury. Bless his heart he played through it. Without complaining. No doubt IMHO, kept him from reaching his potential.

Archived